What's next?

View as article
There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
Hire Dan Mullen Mario and all ur worries on Offense will go away

Advertisement
You called out James Williams but how about having the guy who was a first round, even got top 15 buzz, become an impact player again in TVD. Aside from the injury, he looked like a shell of himself this year. Mario publicly called him the best QB in the country pre 2022 games and the Gattis offense made him look like a bottom 5 QB in the ACC.

I love Mario's intensity and think that type of culture wins out long term but this is also college and guys need to have fun and not overthink. Somehow Mario's offseason list this year is longer than when he got the job a year ago.
Tough when ur OC is hotdog water

How about fix the QB room? Mario walked into what was considered one of the best QB rooms in the country and turned it into an utter disaster.

He needs to get a good OC and sell TVD on coming back to do what he should’ve this year which is turn into a 1st rd pick. I highly doubt he does both though

Also, I’d love for JW to turn into a game changing player but I just don’t see it. The comparison to Frierson is probably the right one and that comparison concerns me. Frierson just left the program because he’s not good enough and/or doesn’t have the physical skills to be a safety or LB. I see the same with JW. Plus the bone head penalties

His thinking is very similar to Mario so I don’t think he brings a unique perspective to the table. We have very little diversity of thought because they’re all Miami guys trying to take us back to the 80s
What makes you think that? I am pression of Allonzo is that he is coming in with an NFL professional viewpoint.

Advertisement
Need to take a look at Spencer Whipple or Brian Hartline for OC.

Montgomery is my top pick, but he might not want anything to do with this Miami life style.
What’s with obsession with Hartline as OC? I am aware that he is an elite wr coach and recruiter. But he has never called plays before. That’s a massive risk. Need to make the right hire who has successfully called plays on offense such as Mullen etc).

What’s with obsession with Hartline as OC? I am aware that he is an elite wr coach and recruiter. But he has never called plays before. That’s a massive risk. Need to make the right hire who has successfully called plays on offense such as Mullen etc).
Golden boy Dorsey has never called plays

Advertisement
Why does everyone, including Miami's coaches apparently (somehow), think that Lashlee's spread is representative of all spread offenses? I mean I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Not all spreads are super up tempo with no running game or running creativity like Lashlee's was. You can get a modern, BALANCED, spread which can control the clock.

Like why the **** is this so hard to understand?

You had an entire article to discuss, but you chose to call out JT99???
I'm sorry to call out Jason, Joy. However, that's the part that made me SMH the most. The players are being accused of wanting to take pictures at the gas station (which is weird) more than play ball, but people want a guy on the FT staff who skips scrimmages.

Advertisement
Every hire comes with a risk.

We just hired the Broyles winner for OC and how'd that turn out lol.

I like Hartline bc I like that Day/Kelly system he would most likely install. Simple. Clean. Efficient. Combined with the elite WR coaching and recruiting. I like the combo.

Why does everyone, including Miami's coaches apparently (somehow), think that Lashlee's spread is representative of all spread offenses? I mean I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Not all spreads are super up tempo with no running game or running creativity like Lashlee's was. You can get a modern, BALANCED, spread which can control the clock.

No one takes the time to define anything anymore. A world of buzzwords that hold on meaning

There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.

Agree with many of these points.

I disagree with you on the coaching staff. We want more seniority not less at OC, IMHO. Take Mullen if we can get him, or someone with similar bona fides. Yes, that's sacrificing some innovation. But it will help with the team chemistry you and I both agree is lacking. And I don't think we need or want a Lashlee offense. I also know we **** the bed on defense in a few games. But I prefer stability on that side of the ball while we fix the offense (though I can take or leave the DB and DE coaches, whatever Steele wants to do there is fine by me).

Do we have enough money to go after the portal?

Advertisement

To this point, the top 10 RYPG teams this year have multiple spread offenses

1. Air Force
2. Army
3. Ole Miss
4. UCLA
5. Michigan
6. UAB
7. UCF
8. Navy
9. Arkansas
10. Utah

You can be tUfF aNd PhYzIcAl ™️ without sucking on offense playing everyone within 15 yards of the ball

I like Hartline bc I like that Day/Kelly system he would most likely install. Simple. Clean. Efficient. Combined with the elite WR coaching and recruiting. I like the combo.
Yes but there is nothing riskier than hiring someone with absolutely no playcalling experience. Just because he comes from a successful system doesn’t mean he’ll succeed.

If we hire another Big 10 OC, I will turn from pro to anti Mario. I do not want to see anyone from either the Day or Kelly tree.

Advertisement
Back