What's next?

View as article
Advertisement
You called out James Williams but how about having the guy who was a first round, even got top 15 buzz, become an impact player again in TVD. Aside from the injury, he looked like a shell of himself this year. Mario publicly called him the best QB in the country pre 2022 games and the Gattis offense made him look like a bottom 5 QB in the ACC.

I love Mario's intensity and think that type of culture wins out long term but this is also college and guys need to have fun and not overthink. Somehow Mario's offseason list this year is longer than when he got the job a year ago.

Naysaying isnt commonly allowed in CIS....but I found it interesting that for a "whats next" post only ONE player was included and even highlighted.
I will only say this...
JW can only be an impact player if he CHOOSES to be one.

I hope Mario is getting some good advice on his coordinator choices, that is not his strong suit. He may be falling asleep in those hours-long interview process and not making the best decisions.

Will let others discuss the on-field coaches, but key this off-season is not only Mario but even more so the off-field assistants and analysts. They need to have already identified talent, do their research and dig under every rock as we play in the portal.

Advertisement
You called out James Williams but how about having the guy who was a first round, even got top 15 buzz, become an impact player again in TVD. Aside from the injury, he looked like a shell of himself this year. Mario publicly called him the best QB in the country pre 2022 games and the Gattis offense made him look like a bottom 5 QB in the ACC.

I love Mario's intensity and think that type of culture wins out long term but this is also college and guys need to have fun and not overthink. Somehow Mario's offseason list this year is longer than when he got the job a year ago.
Tyler turned it around and started playing a lot better... Sadly his O-line put a hit out on him.... James has a decent D-line in front of him...He never really got better... I've been hard on Williams but have always said he CAN get better but he needs to want too... As for Tyler , he needs to heal that shoulder... If he can't it's game over..
I blame Mario 100% for putting Tyler back in when he should have sat... It was obvious he wasn't ready for Fl St but they trotted him back out... they shoulda just shut him down for the season right then and there but instead they might have hurt him even more plying him against Pitt..

I blame Mario 100% for putting Tyler back in when he should have sat... It was obvious he wasn't ready for Fl St but they trotted him back out... they shoulda just shut him down for the season right then and there but instead they might have hurt him even more plying him against Pitt..
For a guy (Mario) that looked like he mailed it in after Texas A&M and buried his roster, he sure did want to beat FSU by throwing Van Dyke out there injured. Weird stuff.

Advertisement
The large ray of sunshine, that I am clinging to is the fact that HighSmith will be a part of these hires. That, if true, cannot be understated.
His thinking is very similar to Mario so I don’t think he brings a unique perspective to the table. We have very little diversity of thought because they’re all Miami guys trying to take us back to the 80s

world fails GIF

Mario's teams will aways play behind their talent was true at Oregon - see the bowl game against Iowa St, game against Oregon St in 2020, game against Stanford last year, etc. However, I do attribute some of that to his offense. Joe Moorhead sucked. I do not find that his teams at FIU played down to the level of their opponent for the most part. But that may go to DMoney's point about wanting a hungry staff as opposed to big name retreads or guys that they are better than position coaches.

Advertisement
What went wrong? Exactly what everyone felt could happen, only worse.

What’s next? Mario addresses every preconceived concern about him as a coach and fix them all immediately.

Advertisement
Yes, a huge influx of truly talented players needs to happen ASAP.

You know what else needs to happen? Mario needs to figure out how he got a lot LESS out of his roster than even the previous guy who got run out of town. The coaching staff managed to make everyone and everything exponentially WORSE following months of offseason hype about how everything was going to get fixed.

Honeymoon ended a long time ago. Time to earn all those millions $ for real.

James Williams should be used like Trenton Simpson at Clemson.

Last year he was a slot defender like a Star defender. This year he kicked into a full-time LB role but they use him as an overhang/flat defender and a blitzer.

If you want to maximize flawed players you have to ask them to do the things they excel at and avoid having them do the things they aren’t good at.

Steele did a good job of coming in and having an adult at the head of the table, but next year needs to see growth in several areas. Utilizing personnel is one of them.

If James Williams wants to play pure safety only and not attack an overhang box role then he should go elsewhere because he’s not good enough to play that here. 5-star or not, it’s not his position and never has been.

After they get him in the right position they need to develop him at that point. That means reading keys and not playing hero ball. That means tackling in a way that maximizes chances of getting a guy down and still forcing fumbles. That means avoiding the selfish penalties.

In a big boy program that’s what the end of year meetings look like. “To come back we need a commitment to this, this, and this. If you agree to those stipulations, What do you need from us?

Advertisement
Back