What's going on out west?

Haha. Wish I could take actual credit for it. It popped in my head but upon checking the Twitter machine it also popped in 3800 other aspiring comedians' heads as well.
Cowboy Way Hello GIF by INSP

Advertisement
Like I said. Someone had to snitch. Your telling me the ncaa was randomly looking at asu but not anyone in the sec?
Sht is a **** joke. Like clockwork the ncaa punishing another school in order to avoid the blue bloods.
Guess you can cover up pedohilia and stealing from cancer charities and that doesn’t do anything to the “balance of power” anywhere.

Pat Tillman misconstrued patriotism is about the extent of it.

Theoretically ASU and Zona should* have decent programs. But you can almost say that about most of the Pac-35 programs as that entire league is pretty effing inept. They like to blame early kickoff times and East Coast bias for 20 years of mediocrity since USC got hammered.

You're a long time poster, but really? Leave that elsewhere.

Guy gave his life, why the bullshlt nonsense bitterness on your part? Show a little respect or just don’t bother.

this like is the guy saying this about it being a state of Fla. investigation and it turning out to be UCF...WGAF ????

Advertisement
...............rock the college football world, ruin legacies, and could impact the balance of power out west.

He successfully generated a lot of click bait and by the end of the day nobody will remember him..............another person selling "Wolf Tickets"

Do you even bother to to do research before posting complete and utter nonsense?

Let's look at what PSU's original punishment was, before it was wrongfully overturned.

"As a result of the scandal, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) imposed sanctions on the Penn State football program: a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and a vacation of all victories from 1998 to 2011.[8] These sanctions were considered to be among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school."

That is FAR more than what Miami self imposed(Scholarship reductions, plus bowl bans). It's FAR more than what Miami actually got. In fact, the true punishment for Miami wasn't the self imposed punishment, nor the actual punishment, it was the elongated process that crippled the program in regards to acquiring talent. Miami was out competing against other programs, who could credibly state that Miami may not have a program, due to the NCAA taking years to complete an investigation that should have been over in mere months, at most.
👆SMU Mustangs in Dallas Hall were like, "that's it?"

You're a long time poster, but really? Leave that elsewhere.

Guy gave his life, why the bullshlt nonsense bitterness on your part? Show a little respect or just don’t bother.
I reallllllly wasn't trying to get political with that OR be disrespectful (to Tillman). All I was saying and it's not that difficult if you can appreciate nuance is that Tillman is the FIRST thing that people often think of when they think of any ASU legacy as a football program. And that thought often involves some sort of misguided image of patriotism and flag hugging that Tillman's own family has been verrrrry vocal in attempting to dispell about him and his tragic death.

I should've been more concise and clear though as I'm the last person that would ever disparage anyone's actual service on that front. It's how others coopt patriotism via ignorance or due to ulterior motives is where I'm critical or mocking.

Advertisement
I didn’t read any nonsense bitterness by @Tad Footeball there.
People get sensitive about Tillman and often rightfully so. I could've done better with the post and been more explicit that it was a critique of how some people are still USING Tillman's life and death for whatever reason- some correct, some innocent and due to ignorance and some not.

Not a rabbit hole I really want to go down or subject the board to so I'm dipping out of future discourse that I may have mistakenly generated here.

LOL...absolutely nobody thought that we would've gotten the death penalty after the PSU stuff came out, nobody. Anybody that tries to compare what we did to an institution that covered up human rights abuses for decades needs their head examined...literally everybody from the President to the janitor knew about it. No comparison.

If you really understand what the ncaa is about, it should be obvious why they wouldn't care much about PSU and care a whole lot more about Miami. As egregious as the Pedo scandal was, it didn't really affect the NCAA business model. Yeah, it's bad press and disgusting morality but that's irrelevant to the ncaa. What Miami was accused of doing was far, far worse in the eyes of the NCAA. Recruits /players allegedly getting unauthorized benefits threatened a multi billion dollar business model built on the “amateur" student athlete. If some recruits were receiving compensation, then other student athletes could start insisting they also wanted compensation. The whole house of cards could come tumbling down. The reality is that the ncaa planned on hitting Miami with penalties like it did SMU - they intended to nuke the program to send a message to the bag schools to tighten up and also to trick the public into believing the ncaa was concerned about a level playing field. One might think that PSU clearly showed a lack of institutional control, but that pertains to recruiting activities, not to procedures for reporting child rape. Our one saving grace is that the ncaa had such a bloodlust to kill the program that they got caught breaking all sorts of rules and they ended up tripping over their own ****s. But don't think for one sec that the ncaa took the PSU scandal more seriously than the allegations against Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
who is this guy that tweeted this?

tarnish legacies?

if bethune cookman got nailed by the NCAA it would be noteworthy

hope this guy takes a ton of heat on twitter for this

If you really understand what the ncaa is about, it should be obvious why they wouldn't care much about PSU and care a whole lot more about Miami. As egregious as the Pedo scandal was, it didn't really affect the NCAA business model. Yeah, it's bad press and disgusting morality but that's irrelevant to the ncaa. What Miami was accused of doing was far, far worse in the eyes of the NCAA. Recruits /players allegedly getting unauthorized benefits threatened a multi billion dollar business model built on the “amateur" student athlete. If some recruits were receiving compensation, then other student athletes could start insisting they also wanted compensation. The whole house of cards could come tumbling down. The reality is that the ncaa planned on hitting Miami with penalties like it did SMU - they intended to nuke the program to send a message to the bag schools to tighten up and also to trick the public into believing the ncaa was concerned about a level playing field. One might think that PSU clearly showed a lack of institutional control, but that pertains to recruiting activities, not to procedures for reporting child rape. Our one saving grace is that the ncaa had such a bloodlust to kill the program that they got caught breaking all sorts of rules and they ended up tripping over their own ****s. But don't think for one sec that the ncaa took the PSU scandal more seriously than the allegations against Miami.
Excellent book on SMU scandal is "A Payroll to Meet" by Dave Whitford.

The Governor of Texas (Bill Clements and a Mustang himself), at that time, tacitly approved of what SMU was doing. If memory serves, there was a document of record of him acknowledging one of the payments.

Part of their defense was "Guv said it was ok!". NCAA banned them for 87, they self-imposed 88, and restarted in Summer 89.

Advertisement
Back