What would you deem to be a successful season for Manny and Miami?

We have to beat all the teams we are supposed to beat. If we lose close to UF, beat FSU keep it respectable with Clemson in the AAACG and a bowl performance not mailed in like last year it will not be a disappointment.

I however think we beat those trailer trash Tebow loving Uncle ****ers and build momentum through the season.

Agree with this, stop playing down to your competition and losing to teams you should beat.

Advertisement
Most of you guys are pretty delusional, haha. A successful season in a coach's first year would be topping any season we've had in the last 15 years?

I think an 8-4 regular season with a nice bowl win, and end-of-year momentum would be a good year. Hopefully that includes 1-2 of the following: beating UF, beating FSU, winning the coastal.

And if that happens, all of you will be pounding your chests come next January, and talking about being national contenders in 2020!

I would typically agree with you, but we're also not talking about a guy who's walking in to a room full of guys he doesn't know and didn't recruit. The defense is Manny's and the Defensive staff is practically the same, except for the addition of Baker. The offense has to see improvement with the upgraded coaching and play calling. I am a firm believer that last year would've looked much different if we would of been even 50% of the potential our offense had. I admire CMR for a lot of the things he did for the program, but I've never felt as frustrated with the play calling as I did last year. I am a baseball player by trade and never played anything more than pickup tackle football and Flag, and I could tell you pre-snap what was coming. It was one of like 6 plays and all run in the same situations.

Advertisement
10-2 would be nice. Have to beat UNC Pitt Va Vag tech GT Louisville Duke. Would love to beat Gayts and Holes. Sustained drives on offense. Get some 3 and outs. Win field position occasionally. And maybe JT house a few returns. Show up and don’t quit. Compete for ACC Title and PLAY in a bowl game. I have high hopes.

> No punt shanks
> Don't start each offensive series with 2nd and 9
> No QB clapping (although I will miss the crowd clap-along and laughing that started end of season)
> Aspirational goal: we don't go 6 straight games without the other team getting a holding penalty

Advertisement
Worst 11-2. The only teams that we should or might lose to is UF and Clemson. Clemson we will lose for sure in the ACC title game, but I want Um to at least compete and not get blown out by them like they have been.
11-2 is the worst case scenario honestly our schedule is cupcake UF and Clemson will be the only competition and fsu will be fsu but don't see how we lose to them

Win the Coastal, no blowout losses, including ACCCG and bowl game.

This. And I consider a loss beyond what can be matched in two possessions a blowout.

Going 3-0 against in-state universities (4-0 counting if you count Bethune) would be delicious icing on the cake, but losing to UiF or f$u doesn't necessarily make the season unsuccessful.

As long as we don’t looose to teams we should beat and don’t have blowout looosses to Clemson or UFag I think we should generate some positive momentum once again. 10-2 with the rooster we have is realistic.

Advertisement
Lose no more then two to three games and be competitive in all games including what I expect to be a matchup with Clemson in the ACC title game. Only caveat is if we have a ton of injuries.

It's year 1, my expectations aren't going to be unrealistic or unfair.

10-2, 9-3, or 8-4 regular season, plus win our Bowl game, anything worse would be disappointing.

For recruiting purposes is absolutely essential that we beat UF, can't stress how important that game will be especially for the 21 class. We lose that game & you can kiss that top 5 class goodbye.

We should win the coastal, UVA lost their best players on Defense & their top RB, Va Tech is about as close to a dumpster fire as can be. GTech has a new HC Geoff Collins, but will take about 2-3 years to completely transition to running a traditional offense from being a Trip Option team. UNC is just devoid of talent it'll take a few years before they're up & running, the one good thing they have is their OC Phil Longo is an offensive guru, but they also have Stacy Seashells as the OL coach so that neutralizes everything they do on Offense lol.

@Pitt & @FSU are two wildcard games that if were not playing our best football on those days could result in L's (NOT saying it will).

Also keep an eye on LVille, Scott Satterfield is good coach & he'll have Lville playing much better than they did last year, we better not sleep on those boys. I believe we'll win, but we better come out & attack them early, they will not be the easy pushover they were under Petrino's last season.

Advertisement
I would say anything more than 2 loses would be disappointing. With the talent that we have, I just don’t think we loose (or should loose more than 2), with the energy Manny is bringing, it seems like this has to be it. Thoughts?

Reach the ACC title game and win the Coastal, whatever that looks like.

These games are played in reality, not on paper. Every off-season everyone talks about how this game or that game is winnable on paper—but when it comes game day, you're talking about two different teams than people read about in the preseason.

Virginia on the road at night last season was going to be tough—as the Cavs usually play the Canes well at home. Toss in uncertainty at quarterback for Miami, musical chairs at the position, a rowdy night game, etc. and a five-game win-streak ended—casting even more doubt at quarterback.

Boston College was always going to be a tough Friday night matchup on the road in 2019—and proved even more so do to quarterback issues. Now Miami lost two in a row and had to prep for a road game against Georgia Tech's quirky offense and came up flat.

Three losses in a row, a beatable Duke team turned into a nightmare slugfest in the rain and Miami lost four in a row.

With the offensive line still a mess for Miami and question marks at quarterback—not to mention opening against a Top 10 rival; Florida coming off of a pasting against a good Michigan team in the bowl game—to say anything more than two losses is a "disappointment" year one, is a bit harsh.

Florida will be a huge challenge game one. At North Carolina isn't the easiest road game two weeks later.

Bethune-Cookman and Central Michigan are gimmes—but Virginia Tech, Virginia and Georgia Tech will all be improved.

At Pittsburgh and at Florida State back-to-back—both also improved—and then Louisville, Florida International and at Duke to close the year.

Hardly a Murder's Row type schedule—but based on a 6-7 finish last year, a coaching change and an entirely new scheme this year—to expect a two-loss season; again, based on what?

The Coastal is winnable as Miami is as good as any team in the division—so building towards a showdown with Clemson in December will give the Canes a good season. Need to at least start winning the division and reaching the title game—especially while the Tigers are on top and the team to beat. Want to at least face those guys.

For recruiting purposes is absolutely essential that we beat UF, can't stress how important that game will be especially for the 21 class. We lose that game & you can kiss that top 5 class goodbye.

Florida is the opener. No one will remember that game come December if Miami wins the ACC Coastal and gets to the title game against Clemson.

The Gators are a Top 10 team to start the season and the Canes are coming off of 6-7 and a coaching change. To call that win "essential" isn't accurate as it would be a decent upset if Miami pulls it off in Diaz's first game.

You're not going to lose the 2021 class if you're a one- or two-loss team going into the ACC title game. Losing to the likes of a Duke or North Carolina is what rival coaches point to when trying to steal kids from your class—not dropping an out-of-conference season-opener to a ranked rival.

How important was that LSU loss when Miami was 5-1 and had topped Florida State in a comeback thriller? It was already yesterday's news by mid-October and really would've been forgotten had the Canes not dropped four mid-season ACC games and reached the conference championship against Clemson.

Losing to the likes of Virginia, Boston College, Virginia and Duke derailed the season and killed recruiting—not an opening-season loss to LSU on a neutral field.

Florida is the opener. No one will remember that game come December if Miami wins the ACC Coastal and gets to the title game against Clemson.

The Gators are a Top 10 team to start the season and the Canes are coming off of 6-7 and a coaching change. To call that win "essential" isn't accurate as it would be a decent upset if Miami pulls it off in Diaz's first game.

You're not going to lose the 2021 class if you're a one- or two-loss team going into the ACC title game. Losing to the likes of a Duke or North Carolina is what rival coaches point to when trying to steal kids from your class—not dropping an out-of-conference season-opener to a ranked rival.

How important was that LSU loss when Miami was 5-1 and had topped Florida State in a comeback thriller? It was already yesterday's news by mid-October and really would've been forgotten had the Canes not dropped four mid-season ACC games and reached the conference championship against Clemson.

Losing to the likes of Virginia, Boston College, Virginia and Duke derailed the season and killed recruiting—not an opening-season loss to LSU on a neutral field.
I'm not giving an opinion, I'm telling you what I know...

We lose to UF & that 2021 class will take a huge hit, the only way to save it would be to go 11-1 & make to the ACCCG which is unlikely.

I'm not saying the season would be over if we lost, I'm telling you the impact it would have on the recruiting trail would be very significant. The 2021 recruits will care very very much if we lose to UF & again that's not an opinion.

Advertisement
Back