What we are

Advertisement
To be fair, if Miami wants Mario...and I mean really wants Mario...then the price of the brick is going to go up. Someone, anyone in any position of power at Miami must know this to be true. These people are NOT ok with 8-4, 7-5 type of seasons, this much we know, idc what the latest Barry Jackson or pretend in-the-know types say...when things settle in that level, the past four coaches have seen their way out.

At some point, someone will realize $3-$4M coaches at this school get you 8-4, 7-5 type results and will stop being cheap *****.

I'm not sure what his total compensation is at Oregon legitimately, but USAToday has him at under $3M with a $5M buyout.

If those numbers are legit, there is no reason why Mario shouldn't be here. That's absurdly low for him, even if you think he's not a good coach. Upside of Top 5, Top 5 recruiting classes, with conference championship pedigree and beating better teams...that's bargain basement pricing.

I had it wrong - Mario signed a 6 yr/$27M contract that kicks in this year. So $4.5M per year - Cristobal's Deal

Totally agree we need to up our pay.

But still - even if we match the pay - Oregon has better facilities, deeper pockets, better talent, and better history (in the last 15 years).

Not saying it's impossible - but highly unlikely IMO

Since 2002 this team has continued to do less with more.
Our recruiting classes are always either second or third in the conference yet we continually have holes in talent at positions which other less talented teams exploit. Why ? Bad coaching? Early grads? Transfers? Injuries ? Poor training ? Poor team leadership? Bad atmosphere?
All of the above? Still waiting for the Hurricanes to beat the teams they should and sometimes beat teams they shouldn’t.
Hope springs eternal, but so far this team seems the same as the last 18 years.
Just change the calendar!
Very frustrating!

Honestly, do you need 9 more games?

Does it matter whether I need them or not, they’re going to happen anyway.

I can’t change anything except to sit back and hope for the best. I mean what’s your point? Do you want me to adopt a fūck it all attitude today?

Do you want me to go into a funk today?

That’s not how I operate.

Advertisement
The program was literally light years ahead of UNC even in Dichts last, awful year. Took Mack (old, unintelligent) Brown exactly one week to pass up Manny's "New" U.

Mack is Mannys padre! Or Manny is Mack's ****? (I'm not fluent in Mexican)

Thus why Mannylitos Fannylitos now accept losing to UNC as part of their ever lowered "expectations".

There are no Mannylito Fannylitos that I know of here, countrybollito.

Last edited:
Exactly this. If we are building a roadmap to competing for championships, this program needs to accomplish this step. Diaz needs to demonstrate he can elevate the program further, and do the little things that allow us to become a Top 15 program.
Yea this roadmap is definitely taking us on the scenic route…

Advertisement
We’ve played two games.

Smith, Restrepo, Rivers, Flagg and Chaney before getting hurt are starting or heavy contributors. Arroyo, Kichens and Williams have gotten burn.

What more did you expect?
So then where did u get this evidence from?

It's always an entertaining watch with @DMoney and his eternal quest to prove that Miami isn't a 7-6 program and forever will be at this point. Can't wait for the next thread that's just a slight variation of this.

I think a lot of posters on these boards (not specifically you, just generally speaking) don't know what a 15th ranked team looks like.

Teams with 3 losses will be in the top 20. A Miami team with 2 losses and a bowl win finishes in the top 15.

For reference, the spread between Bama and the number 15 team would be around 17.5 on a neutral field... same as the spread vs Miami (and Bama would probably cover by a zillion).

The teams around us in the top 25 - Michigan (they must be hurting even more than our fanbase is), Auburn, BYU, Arkansas, UCLA, Iowa State, Va Tech, Ole Miss... This is right where Miami should be.

There is about a 3 point power rating difference between number 11 and number 25. Anyone can beat anyone. Everyone in that range is just ranked in the polls based off who won/lost most recently.

Miami gets the national spotlight once again this weekend, with a noon game on ABC. A convincing win would take a lot of the spotlight/heat off Manny, being that there are already plenty of other storylines with the USC opening and everything else. If the team looks outcoached and sloppy again, even in winning UM may drop out of the top 25, depending on what else happens. And the heat on Manny will be turned up that much more.

this game - and really this whole season -- is a referendum on Manny as a coach. It's really that simple...

Until we get competence from the top down it’s obvious what we are. An above average acc team, that’s what any sane person should expect after the last fifteen years.

Whats sad with all the talent here this season and everyone returning this was the perfect time for the program to show what they could be , but I’m starting to have doubts we’ll reach that ceiling ( hope i‘m wrong ) . I’d much rather be wrong on this rather than my ten win prediction.

you are what your record says you are -- far as Im concerned, Manny is now officially on the clock(and so is Blake James from what Im hearing)

Advertisement
Does it matter whether I need them or not, they’re going to happen anyway.

I can’t change anything except to sit back and hope for the best. I mean what’s your point? Do you want me to adopt a fūck it all attitude today?

Do you want me to go into a funk today?

That’s not how I operate.

Lol. I don’t think manny gets 9 more games, tbh, assuming he ends October with a some duds for losses. Have some key conference games in October and if he goes 2-2 or 1-3 in that 4 game conference slate, I don’t think he coaches in November. Jmo

The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
well we won't do that with Manny lol

you are what your record says you are -- far as Im concerned, Manny is now officially on the clock(and so is Blake James from what Im hearing)
james franco wtf GIF

Advertisement
How about we actually get there and then see?

Do we really need to wait? Fans were out here calling for Coker's head after 2002 and 2003. Fans were out here calling for Richt's head after three straight losses in 2017.

I can guarantee that this Cane fanbase, still with delusions of 80s grandeur, probably with entire man caves filled with Irvin posters and old VHS tapes of the 83 Cornhusker game, will want Manny gone after five straight #15 finishes. They'll scream about Manny being a choke artist, cant win big games, cant get over the hump, blah blah blah.

Lol. I don’t think manny gets 9 more games, tbh, assuming he ends October with a some duds for losses. Have some key conference games in October and if he goes 2-2 or 1-3 in that 4 game conference slate, I don’t think he coaches in November. Jmo
Who would you anticipate as interim HC?

Advertisement
Back