What we are

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.

Advertisement
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
were top 15 in terms of potential. I think we can hit lucky once or twice but well never hit the ceiling we had in the past. too much has changed and we aren't ever gonna get into the arms race to be elite

living on the edge GIF

Advertisement
That was exactly my response to all slurpers accusing us of living in the eighties, etc.
we only want to get what we deserve NOW.

Exactly. This a **** show. Coaching has plagued this University for years now. It's sad to see players that couldn't do **** here suddenly find their value in the NFL.

Sad to see App States of the world who get mostly 1 to 3 star players, smack UM in the mouth.

Advertisement
Ok, forget what recruiting rankings say or what a poll of writers/coaches say. Performance over a period of time is what matters. Miami is NOT a top 15 program and unlikely to enjoy such a lofty ranking this year. The notion or suggestion of a current ceiling being higher than top 15 or aspiring to such reeks of a bunch of fanboys. We all live in the past and want great things, but if we're honest Miami is slightly more than a middle-of-the-road ACC team.

The facts and record are what they are.

This says it all: Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years.

Advertisement

Exactly this. If we are building a roadmap to competing for championships, this program needs to accomplish this step. Diaz needs to demonstrate he can elevate the program further, and do the little things that allow us to become a Top 15 program.

I would agree that top 15 is a reasonable expectation with the talent on this team. However, I've seen enough from Manny to know that he isn't the guy to lead this team to long term success and I don't want him fluking into a 9-10 win season and earning an extension. I know that changing coaches every few years isn't a recipe for success, but it's necessary when you continually make terrible hires.

Advertisement
I think most reasonable fans would agree. Win the **** coastal, put up a fight against a beatable Clemson in the ACCCG, and get to a NY6 bowl. That's a top 12-15 season. Anything less is a failure.
I feel like I am reasonable in this day and age of college football and I agree. You have to win the division a few times every five years. I get it, one year you have to rebuild a bit but that is not a ton to ask in regards to the brand and where the University is located. "We went to the Gator Bowl or Camping World Bowl but we were young and next year we are primed for another run" type of thing. Get to that point and then sneak into the CFP every now and then. I know the deck is stacked at the CFP level but that should be the goal.

I don't think any reasonable fans would be calling for Manny's head if he finished in the top-15 this year. The problem is that we don't look like a top-15 team in any facets of the game besides punting and kicking. We do almost nothing else well, and with top-15 talent, we SHOULD be flashing at certain positions when we play a team like App. State...yet we don't. The weekly penalties, poor tackling, playing way off the ball in zone and still giving up tons of chunk plays (and this despite now having a top DB coach!), lack of player development, transfers coming in and immediately becoming our best players...these are all indictments against the staff and glaring red flags. If we finish in the top-15 I'll be happy to stfu and give them a pass, but at this point I just don't see the potential when I watch this team play. There's simply no reason that a program with top-13 talent should be struggling against a G5 team (even a good one) at home.

Ok, forget what recruiting rankings say or what a poll of writers/coaches say. Performance over a period of time is what matters. Miami is NOT a top 15 program and unlikely to enjoy such a lofty ranking this year. The notion or suggestion of a current ceiling being higher than top 15 or aspiring to such reeks of a bunch of fanboys. We all live in the past and want great things, but if we're honest Miami is slightly more than a middle-of-the-road ACC team.
We finished 22nd last year, hired a couple expensive coaches and brought almost everyone back. Top 15 is a very realistic expectation without having to live in the past.

Advertisement
Back