What we are

@DMoney are you saying if the goal you stated is not met this year you will join the crowd?
Common, go on the recordšŸ˜

What kind of a simp post is this? Join what crowd? The football goth self-haters crowd? The guys with black lipstick and eyeliner, and metal bars through their noses?

Advertisement
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
Finally, someone with some logic and comman sense. I totally agree.

Until we get competence from the top down itā€™s obvious what we are. An above average acc team, thatā€™s what any sane person should expect after the last fifteen years.

Whats sad with all the talent here this season and everyone returning this was the perfect time for the program to show what they could be , but Iā€™m starting to have doubts weā€™ll reach that ceiling ( hope iā€˜m wrong ) . Iā€™d much rather be wrong on this rather than my ten win prediction.

Thereā€™s virtually no difference between teams 15-35.

A lucky bounce, a timely turnover, a hot QB, bad weather are a few of the things that separate a 2 loss team from a 3 loss team.

The first two weeks of the season has 20 examples proving it.

This is a great post, mostly because it's exactly where my mindset is at. Would I love to compete for a championship? Of course. But realistically we would need a top-5 head coach followed by 2-3 years of top 5 recruiting classes and a bit of luck. So for now I would be perfectly content to get 10 wins, win a bowl game, finish in the top 15 and at least be COMPETITVE against the elites (Alabama, Clemson, etc.).

I hate the whole "Miami's back" mantra. Just get us to a point where we beat every team we are supposed to beat and compete against the big boys to where we at least look like an emerging threat to their existence.
I hate ā€œThe New Miamiā€ mantra more.

Advertisement
Until we get competence from the top down itā€™s obvious what we are. An average to above average acc team, thatā€™s what any sane person should expect after the last fifteen years.

Whats sad with all the talent here this season and everyone returning this was the perfect time for the program to show what they could be , but Iā€™m starting to have doubts weā€™ll reach that ceiling ( hope iā€˜m wrong ) . Iā€™d much rather be wrong on this rather than my ten win prediction.
Donā€™t get Danny started with the above average/average program thing again, please!

Advertisement
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
And the common denominator through this 15 years of underperforming is a toxic culture.

Like I said in another thread, basically the equivalent of a top tier Sun Belt team.

Look at where Coastal Carolina and Louisiana finished last season.
Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

D Money with a rare good point.

Thatā€™s the biggest issue with us- we basically always underperform. We canā€™t even string along a few good seasons where we are a consistent top 10-15 program and then take the leap into contender. If a coach came in here and just had us playing consistently good football weā€™d be in that 10-15 range with 10 win seasons. Then the recruits and talent come, culture sets in, and we take the next step. Instead we just always underperform.

Advertisement
We finished 22nd last year, hired a couple expensive coaches and brought almost everyone back. Top 15 is a very realistic expectation without having to live in the past.
Agree it was a very realistic expectation going in. You really have to tell yourself the following story to believe it now:

Alabama is in a class by themselves and game 1 reflects the reality of the two programs. Game 2 was a gap game against a non Power 5 team coming off the thumping from the Tide and doesn't reflect what we really are.

I can't quite buy that storyline. We are demonstably weak in many areas--esp LB and O line. LB recruitment has been poor and injuries haven't helped. No excuses ffor O line. Tons of experience and starts. They just aren't good.

Likely holding on to more senior players too long. For example, I've never gotten the Mallory thing. Drops. Can't block. Not fast. What's to like?

Get the young safeties in. Get the yound receivers and play makers in the game.

Advertisement
We finished 22nd last year, hired a couple expensive coaches and brought almost everyone back. Top 15 is a very realistic expectation without having to live in the past.
We as fans can agree on that. It seems the ones in charge dont view it that way.

I can live with top 15 if we are playing hard and winning the games we should win. Alot of us dont have unreal expectations of our current talent level.

This isn't a Top 15 team. At least not in the first two weeks. Hopefully that changes going forward

I donā€™t think anyone would argue with that expectation.

The disconnect is that from 2020 going into 2021 we are regressing rather than progressing.

I obviously know itā€™s still very early and we havenā€™t played a conference game yet.

It just feels like AGES since this team convincingly beat a solid opponent

Advertisement
Back