What we are

D Money with a rare good point.

That’s the biggest issue with us- we basically always underperform. We can’t even string along a few good seasons where we are a consistent top 10-15 program and then take the leap into contender. If a coach came in here and just had us playing consistently good football we’d be in that 10-15 range with 10 win seasons. Then the recruits and talent come, culture sets in, and we take the next step. Instead we just always underperform.
YearlyPoliticalFly-max-1mb.gif

Advertisement
I think that Athletic ranking has a bit too much "what we could be" in its equation. Could we be Top 15, solid, and even better? **** yes. Are we? Doesn't look like it right now. Maybe we come out of the coma this weekend.

I think it’s more what we “Should be” considering our talent level and experience

No reason we shouldn’t be a Top 15 team

Advertisement
Like I said in another thread, basically the equivalent of a top tier Sun Belt team.

Look at where Coastal Carolina and Louisiana finished last season.
Did you just read DMoney's post? Or immediately decide to start moping? What Sun Belt team has NCs in 3 different decades or has the 13th most talented team on paper? None. So we are not "basically the equivalent of a top tier sun Belt team."

We are a former top tier team with an uncanny ability to perpetually underperform and make bad coaching hires. We are a team that is a homerun head coaching hire and admin support away from being a top tier team again. No scrub team from Sun Belt can say that. Most teams period can't say that.

But don't let facts get in the way of your misery, please go on about how all Coastal needs is just needs a bit more money and a better coach and it will all of a sudden compete with Clemson and Ohio State.

D Money with a rare good point.

That’s the biggest issue with us- we basically always underperform. We can’t even string along a few good seasons where we are a consistent top 10-15 program and then take the leap into contender. If a coach came in here and just had us playing consistently good football we’d be in that 10-15 range with 10 win seasons. Then the recruits and talent come, culture sets in, and we take the next step. Instead we just always underperform.
"I know its the era of super-conferences. Miami has been a super-conference!"

I think most reasonable fans would agree. Win the **** coastal, put up a fight against a beatable Clemson in the ACCCG, and get to a NY6 bowl. That's a top 12-15 season. Anything less is a failure.
This is it. There is no reason with the talent on this team this expectation can't be reached and accomplished.

Advertisement
Looking at previous final AP polls, 2 losses put Miami in the 5-11 range. 3 losses gets Miami 12-20 range.

This is it. There is no reason with the talent on this team this expectation can't be reached and accomplished.
Exactly. We will never match Bama, Ohio State, or a handful of others. But with proper coaching and the right culture in place, there's absolutely no reason we can't consistently finish in the top 10-15 and dominant the garbage Coastal.

While finishing in the Top 15 is a reasonable expectation considering some of the raw metrics. We've essentially been an 8-4 team (average) and unranked by the end of the season in most years since winning our last national championship.

Finishing at 9-3 and in the Top 25 might be an even more reasonable, albeit, disappointing, expectation considering all factors.

Advertisement
We finished 22nd last year, hired a couple expensive coaches and brought almost everyone back. Top 15 is a very realistic expectation without having to live in the past.

I don't think anyone disagrees on the reality of where the program is, and what the current ceiling is. We just don't have the horses, barring a generational QB talent, to be top 5. I think the general lament is that given the right resources and commitment this could be a top 5 program as it once was. The frustration is two fold, we don't even live up to the current ceiling, and then the untapped potential of what could be if we were on par resource wise with the top programs.

Looking at previous final AP polls, 2 losses put Miami in the 5-11 range. 3 losses gets Miami 12-20 range.

2019-Eight of the Top 25 had 3-5 losses
2018-Twelve of the Top 25 had 3-5 losses

This is a very on point and level headed way of looking at where we are currently.

I'd add that - for the overreaction crowd, if we finished 20th - that's not some huge disappointment. It's just slightly below expectations. If we finished 10th - it'll be great step in the right direction, but still not some huge crowning achievement.

And for the "Manny isn't it" crowd - I'm not saying you're wrong, but who do you think we can get that's better? I'm more worried about the guy we'd end up hiring more than I am Manny.

Advertisement
So, we’re overrated, and we underperform. Been that way for a while. There are many reasons for the chronic mediocrity, but it is systemic, starts at the top, as these things usually do.

Advertisement
Back