What was the first Miami game you remember?

The first game I recall watching was the first wide right. And then I remember crying during the Sugar Bowl haha. The first game I recall actually attending was Penn State '99 when I started at the U. Comically, the primary player from that game that I recall was Lavar Arrington. I've been a season ticket holder since 2005 and have only missed 2 home games since then (apart from the last Golden season which I boycotted).
The infamous “who’s Dan Morgan?” game

We must be the same age I definitely remember absolutely going ballistic that night at a party because I was so ****ed off about that game

Advertisement
Advertisement
My Dad got me watching when Jim Kelly played. 1980ish for me. My father also took me to my first game which was when "The Legend" Jimmy Johnson ran up the score on Notre Dame! I remember students would buy me beers in the beer line :ROFLMAO:! One of my favorite memories.

Last edited:
Miami at Penn St in 2001. First year in this country/soflo I got to watch the greatest team of all time the team so stacked they coasted to a chip with Larry Coker at HC. Little did I know it was gonna be all downhill from there

Well, I’m an Old Fart, but I still remember my Freshman Year at Miami and going to the Orange Bowl in the fall of 1966 when the Canes played Southern Cal. I don’t remember exactly how high SC was ranked, but as I recall they were undefeated and ranked in the top 5 in the country when they came to Miami, and we were not ranked at all. But the mighty Hurricanes, with Ted Hendricks (The Mad Stork) leading the defense, beat SC 10-7. What a night. The Orange Bowl went wild. I’m thinking that the Canes were ranked after that and finished the year in the top 10.
I was at that game. If I remember correctly, USC's punter broke his leg. A compound fracture.

That’s cool, love hearing the stories from you old school Canes

It was a great time to be alive as a Canes fan. To witness four national titles between fourth grade and my senior year high school was really something.

My old man told us every season to soak it all in as it was unprecedented and simply couldn't last. Said it again at the Orange Bowl after beating Nebraska in January 1992 for that 1991 national title—just hanging there for an hour after the stadium filed out and basking in the glow. That time next year we watched Alabama roll Miami in the Sugar Bowl with the dream of back-to-back titles dead, followed by the wheels starting to come off.

Was in the stands in January 1995 when Nebraska came to town and ground Miami down in that 24-17 loss where they took a title and the Canes finished 10-2. Close as the score was, Miami was never going to pull that game out. You could feel the talent-level drop off; Costa to his guys wasn't the same as Torretta to Thomas or Copeland.

That loss to Maryland was the last home loss I saw at the Orange Bowl until the 1995 season. (Watched "Hail Flutie" from home on Thanksgiving and wasn't at season opener against Florida in 1985.) A home loss in 1984 when I was 10 and the next time Miami lost at home I was 21 and buying my own beers at that glorious dumpsite. Crazy times....

Advertisement
My first game that I can remember distinctly was the Saturday night matchup against ND on ESPN in ‘89. I was 9. My dad had been a fan since one of his neighborhood buddies outta Carol City, John Swain, went to Miami in the late 70’s. I asked my dad when Miami came out against ND, why they holding up #1 and not #7? Miami was ranked 7 at the time. I definitely remember the diving catch down the home sideline on 3 and 43 by Randall Hill for 45 yards, which was good for another Canes….first down!

It was a great time to be alive as a Canes fan. To witness four national titles between fourth grade and my senior year high school was really something.

My old man told us every season to soak it all in as it was unprecedented and simply couldn't last. Said it again at the Orange Bowl after beating Nebraska in January 1992 for that 1991 national title—just hanging there for an hour after the stadium filed out and basking in the glow. That time next year we watched Alabama roll Miami in the Sugar Bowl with the dream of back-to-back titles dead, followed by the wheels starting to come off.

Was in the stands in January 1995 when Nebraska came to town and ground Miami down in that 24-17 loss where they took a title and the Canes finished 10-2. Close as the score was, Miami was never going to pull that game out. You could feel the talent-level drop off; Costa to his guys wasn't the same as Torretta to Thomas or Copeland.

That loss to Maryland was the last home loss I saw at the Orange Bowl until the 1995 season. (Watched "Hail Flutie" from home on Thanksgiving and wasn't at season opener against Florida in 1985.) A home loss in 1984 when I was 10 and the next time Miami lost at home I was 21 and buying my own beers at that glorious dumpsite. Crazy times....
Wow yeah that’s crazy, you were freaking 10 when you saw Miami lose at home next they lose at home you’re 21 must’ve been a foreign thing back then. The 94 national title is the first game I remember watching so I went through a lot of losing before I saw us win, I would have love to experience those days as a cane fan

My first UM game was us vs FSU in the Doak in 83. Jeff Davis kicked the game winner late in the 4th for the 17-16 W. That ball was kicked right into where we were sitting . I was 12 years old.

I was born in 86 so when I first started watching was the Butch era, but the first game I can remember was the orange bowl in 95 (94 season). My dad and Uncle are old school Canes they had me watching it early.
BC and Flutie with the miracle pass is first one I remember. Second is UM beating Nebraska for title.

Advertisement
Wow yeah that’s crazy, you were freaking 10 when you saw Miami lose at home next they lose at home you’re 21 must’ve been a foreign thing back then. The 94 national title is the first game I remember watching so I went through a lot of losing before I saw us win, I would have love to experience those days as a cane fan
There was no way UM were winning a Title, even if they beat Nebraska. Penn St would have won it.

First game I watched was ‘84 Orange Bowl versus Nebraska. First game in person was the first game of the ‘87 season against the Ga-turds.

Ironic backstory that still provides me comic relief (DON’T READ BELOW THIS LINE if you don’t like long write-ups):
I attended Wichita State University my first year of college (grew up in Wichita), and our football team was so bad, they ended the program; didn’t move to Div 2 or 3, they killed the whole program. My two buddies convinced me to transfer to Miami after our first year.

I transferred in and my first game in person was a 31-4 ****-bombing of Florida in the OB and it was so dominating, the only 4 points they scored was because our center twice snapped the ball over our punter’s head for safeties – I was stunned thinking, “I could get used to this.” Needless to say, I went from a dead football program to winning national championships 2 of my 3 years at Miami, and as everyone has correctly noted, the atrocious call at Notre Dame cost us three in a row.

A side bar on that ‘88 team to show the dominance of the team Jimmy created. That 2001 team will always be considered the greatest, but few teams have an accomplishments list matching that ‘88 team. If you designed a true football playoff matching the champions of every conference into a playoff, you would appreciate what that team did. That year they beat:
  • Preseason #1 FSU (it was an absolute ****-pounding 31-0; FSU didn’t lose another game and destroyed almost all of their other opponents)
  • Went into the big house and beat Michigan (eventual Big 10 champion)
  • Destroyed LSU in their home stadium (SEC co-champion)
  • Beat Arkansas (Southwest Conference Champion, which at that time included Texas, Texas A&M, and TCU)
  • Pummeled Nebraska (Big 8 Champion, which included Oklahoma and was the precursor to the Big 12)
  • And of course went into South Bend and beat Satan’s Spawn, aka the eventual fake National Champion (Jimmy and those players who worked so hard, deserved so much better)

Favorite moments in which I was present:
  • ‘89 - 3rd and 43 against #1 Notre Dame - I’ve been to some of our nation’s loudest venues and nothing has ever come close to the volume level on this iconic play.
  • ‘02 - watching Dorsey postgame at the Rose Bowl, where even the ushers were wearing the colors of the opposition, but it only made the victory in the end that much sweeter.
  • ‘88 - Jimmy’s well deserved National Championship.

As you can tell, I can talk about the Canes for hours, so I’ll stop boring everyone, as I have quite a long historical perspective on the team. My only wish is that all of you “young’uns” get to experience the same Canes teams I’ve had the fortune of personally witnessing.

Advertisement
Miami at Penn St in 2001. First year in this country/soflo I got to watch the greatest team of all time the team so stacked they coasted to a chip with Larry Coker at HC. Little did I know it was gonna be all downhill from there

Oh I remember this game. One of our LB's return an INT for a TD. This was a really good Penn State team and we went at their house to beat them down. Before 2001 they beat us at the Orange Bowl in a really close game that could go either way. So 2001 was a revenge game

1980 vs Mississippi State, Daddy'O worked at the Herald and he had a stack of tickets from the days when Booger King would give out UM game tickets when you ordered a whopper. He took all us kids from our pop warner team. Granted they lost a close one, it was an awesome day .

P.S: I played at Harris Field for Custom Lettering and my teammates were Michael Barrow and Steve Everitt. We were a bad *** team as we finished 1st too. miss those days!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back