What was the first Miami game you remember?

Hurricane23

Sophomore
Premium
I was born in 86 so when I first started watching was the Butch era, but the first game I can remember was the orange bowl in 95 (94 season). My dad and Uncle are old school Canes they had me watching it early.

Advertisement
I was born in 86 so when I first started watching was the Butch era, but the first game I can remember was the orange bowl in 95 (94 season). My dad and Uncle are old school Canes they had me watching it early.

1984 Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska. Grew up in Orlando, but we never got to see UM games on TV (pre-Supreme-Court-case), only Gaytors and SemenHoles. But the OB was a nationally telecast game.

Advertisement
Miami hurricanes vs famu 2002 I was in 6th grade. It was my first Hurricanes game and the first time really actually understanding football and what was happening.

Advertisement
Unfortunately for me the first game I remember watching was the 87 Fiesta Bowl. I was supposed to watch w/ my UM alum grandfather (I was 7) but got sick as a dog and was throwing up the whole game. Maybe also due to Vinny's performance.

Unfortunately for me the first game I remember watching was the 87 Fiesta Bowl. I was supposed to watch w/ my UM alum grandfather (I was 7) but got sick as a dog and was throwing up the whole game. Maybe also due to Vinny's performance.
we should’ve won that game I went back and watched all the old games.

Started going to games in 1980 when I was six years old—though I don't recall any specific moment back then.

We moved to San Diego for a year (spring 1983 through spring 1984) and I recall watching the 1984 Orange Bowl on TV with the family and walking around with an old tape recorder and microphone doing post-game interviews with the fam (a precursor to covering the program from the mid-90s to present day).

Moved back to Miami and season tickets for the 1984 season, the first game I remember-remember—as it was an unforgettable experience—was Miami blowing a 31-0 halftime lead and losing to Maryland and that mother**ker Frank Reich, 42-40.

Went to all other home games that year, but that collapse is the first game I remember as my dad and uncle were fit to be tied and that walk to the car was brutal—as was a quiet, dejected post-game dinner at La Hacienda.

Family owned All Sports (allCanes) from 1974 through 2016 and another uncle owned the long-gone Redd's Cleaners. Still recall being put to work that summer at the shop (at 10 years old), walking next door to see my uncle and him helping a customer, looking at me (knowing I was a huge Canes fan) and saying, "Come here, let me introduce you to Miami's new coach, Jimmy Johnson".

Them's were the days....

we should’ve won that game I went back and watched all the old games.

You think? Five interceptions and still only down four points before that fifth and final end zone errant throw by Vinny which could've won the game???

17-14 at minimum, but the Canes legit should've rolled those slow slugs 35-7. Never got over that one.

Advertisement
Started going to games in 1980 when I was six years old—though I don't recall any specific moment back then.

We moved to San Diego for a year (spring 1983 through spring 1984) and I recall watching the 1984 Orange Bowl on TV with the family and walking around with an old tape recorder and microphone doing post-game interviews with the fam (a precursor to covering the program from the mid-90s to present day).

Moved back to Miami and season tickets for the 1984 season, the first game I remember-remember—as it was an unforgettable experience—was Miami blowing a 31-0 halftime lead and losing to Maryland and that mother**ker Frank Reich, 42-40.

Went to all other home games that year, but that collapse is the first game I remember as my dad and uncle were fit to be tied and that walk to the car was brutal—as was a quiet, dejected post-game dinner at La Hacienda.

Family owned All Sports (allCanes) from 1974 through 2016 and another uncle owned the long-gone Redd's Cleaners. Still recall being put to work that summer at the shop (at 10 years old), walking next door to see my uncle and him helping a customer, looking at me (knowing I was a huge Canes fan) and saying, "Come here, let me introduce you to Miami's new coach, Jimmy Johnson".

Them's were the days....
That’s cool, love hearing the stories from you old school Canes

You think? Five interceptions and still only down four points before that fifth and final end zone errant throw by Vinny which could've won the game???

17-14 at minimum, but the Canes legit should've rolled those slow slugs 35-7. Never got over that one.
Yeah I watch the whole game, Penn state couldn’t move the ball, The 5 picks killed us, if he didn’t throw that last one we win

Mine is also the 87 Fiesta Bowl. Loved the attitude. Despite the result, that's when I decided UM would be my school and it's the only place I applied.

Advertisement
My folks used to drive over from Punta Gorda to see the Canes every now and then in the 1960s, they were George Myra fans. Remember watching a game on TV with the old man when he was Q.

I became a fan in 87 from the Fiesta bowl. So I wasnt completely into football at that point but I know I didnt like PSU esp living just outside of the Pocono's. Over the next few years I rooted for them, watched when I could. But 90-92 Rusty Medaris was what hooked me for life. Every game he just was a complete animal to me at that age. I got accepted to Miami but my parents were divorced and it would have been just a bit to much. I also wanted to play baseball and had D2/D3 interest. I would have been more than happy throwing BP from 99-2002 though.

Advertisement
Back