What was the first Miami game you remember?

You know why I was at the game and how I got tickets. So I was leaning that way anyway. But that was my first live game. Chud's coming out party.

Ha! First game I saw on TV was UM-Nebraska in the 84 Orange Bowl, but the first IN-PERSON game was the 1986 UM-UF game in Hogtown, I drove up for that one. I had just recently met Chud, he was in my freshman-year AutoCad class, we were both Engineering students (at the time). He absolutely redshirted in 1986, he was scrawny (for a TE) at the time.

Miami had to suspend 4 (4?) players for the first half due to some slightly-below-market auto leases. Gaytors fans started shaking their keychains before kickoff and I just laughed. I got shut out of the actual "UM student tickets" by the Sig-Eps, so I got a Gaytor student section ticket from some of my friends from high school. You know how I am, I was proudly wearing my UM gear and loudly cheering for UM in the middle of a sea of Gaytors...

Advertisement
I was born in 86 so when I first started watching was the Butch era, but the first game I can remember was the orange bowl in 95 (94 season). My dad and Uncle are old school Canes they had me watching it early.
1963 FSU......Canes played 6 SEC opponents. Like Miami, FSU was independent. I remember we lost

Advertisement
Penn State v Miami with Jim Kelly leading the way. As a 12 year old who grew up in Ann Arbor watching 3 yards and a cloud of dust football under the revered Bo Schembechler, I was immediately taken aback by a passing offense in college football. Never looked back.

Ha! First game I saw on TV was UM-Nebraska in the 84 Orange Bowl, but the first IN-PERSON game was the 1986 UM-UF game in Hogtown, I drove up for that one. I had just recently met Chud, he was in my freshman-year AutoCad class, we were both Engineering students (at the time). He absolutely redshirted in 1986, he was scrawny (for a TE) at the time.

Miami had to suspend 4 (4?) players for the first half due to some slightly-below-market auto leases. Gaytors fans started shaking their keychains before kickoff and I just laughed. I got shut out of the actual "UM student tickets" by the Sig-Eps, so I got a Gaytor student section ticket from some of my friends from high school. You know how I am, I was proudly wearing my UM gear and loudly cheering for UM in the middle of a sea of Gaytors...
First national championship game I watched was the 84 Orangle Bowl. I was already a UM fan before then but it was my addiction following the Orange Bowl win.
Your story for getting into the game is awesome.

1980 31-7 win at Florida is my earliest Cane memory. Wasn’t a full-time fan. Howard elected to kick FG up 28-7 with a few seconds left. UF fans were pelting the Miami bench with garbage, or oranges, or whatever. Later said he should have had Danny Miller kick the ball into the UF students section.

1981 21-20 home win over UF, Danny Miller kicking a 55-yarder with under a minute left, made me a casual fan.

1981 17-14 home win over #1 Penn State made me a full-time fan.

Advertisement
First time I drank a beer during a Miami game was 2011 against OSU. I was visiting University of Dayton at the time....a lot of salty ******* OSU fans after that game.

1980 31-7 win at Florida is my earliest Cane memory. Wasn’t a full-time fan. Howard elected to kick FG up 28-7 with a few seconds left. UF fans were pelting the Miami bench with garbage, or oranges, or whatever. Later said he should have had Danny Miller kick the ball into the UF students section.

1981 21-20 home win over UF, Danny Miller kicking a 55-yarder with under a minute left, made me a casual fan.

Danny is the most underrated Kicker in UM History....Had a ridiculous Leg. I played against him in HS....Came out of Clewiston.

Well, the second choice is definitely more depressing, as I can attest.
I want to go back and tell that kid watching us destroy Nebraska

cherish it adam sandler GIF

Advertisement

That Penn St game will always be one of my favorites I ever attended. The Brodsky TD was one of the most important TDs in UM History. I just got out of Culinary School, and was doing my apprenticeship on Captiva Isand at South Seas Plantation....my B-Day is Oct 21st...and a fellow Chef bought my ticket for a gift.

Advertisement
Same! It’s actually how I became a Miami fan

My neighbors were this huge annoying family of Notre Dame fans and I watched this game wanting them to lose no matter what

And my young impressionable self was like…these dudes are badasses

Yeah bro; like I’ve told ppl, ND was Chicago’s defunct College FB team, even over Illinois b/c Illinois wasn’t chit in CFB when I was growing up. Seeing Miami not only blank ND, but absolutely put on a show…man, like u being young & impressionable, this was my squad. Legit used to draw football pictures as a kid w/ the U on the side of the helmet. Never left their side since.

National title vs Ohio state where we got robbed. I was 7 and it was the first one I ever watched

Same! It’s actually how I became a Miami fan

My neighbors were this huge annoying family of Notre Dame fans and I watched this game wanting them to lose no matter what

And my young impressionable self was like…these dudes are badasses
That 89 UM vs ND game was off the charts...
Loud isn't the word. I'm talking insanity for 4 hrs....In all the OB games I've attended (Both UM & Dolphins) I never heard a crowd like that for an entire game.

Advertisement
Back