What they're saying in Sparty Land

MSU fan here.

A) the Applebee's thing is absolutely a recurring joke on the RCMB (Red Cedar Message Board)
B) MSU fans are mostly just pumped that we think we have a shot with this game. Preseason, this was thought to be almost a sure fire loss. Miami doesn't appear to be as strong as initially thought. We look better than anticipated.

MSU has switched the last couple years (with Coach Tucker) to a 4-2-5. The back 7 is pretty new. Only 2 guys are starting in the same spot as last year. Henderson, at safety, is one of them and is pretty **** good. The two LBs are brand new: Crouch from Tenn is a crazy athlete, but doesn't usually know where he is going. Halliday, the other LB is a RS Frosh who only played special teams last year. The DL is probably a decent B10 squad, but there is definitely not that stud pass rusher.

Offense has been a pleasant surprise. Soph QB Thorne won the battle and has been pretty good. No TOs is probably the best part. The OL has been hot garbage for the last several years, but the new staff seems to have gotten their sh** together and they look decent (maybe even good?). RB Walker is the name to know. He's excellent. We basically sat him against YSU to save him for this game. He's already got over 300 yds rushing and 5 TDs over 2 games (with really only playing 2 series against YSU.)

I doubt most Spartans are expecting a win. But I think we all have some hope coming off a mess of a season last year. Go Green.
The your O-line is what I’m most afraid of controlling drives , we’ll run it attitude is O-line dream till you stop it wearing opponents down will be your game plan no doubt.

We’ve had issues getting off the field and this plays into MSU road grading all game till exhaustion perfect eating up clock.

3rd and short is going to be tough to stop .

Advertisement
I always severely question the mental fortitude of anyone that makes fun of south Florida and the city of Miami. It’s legitimately as dumb as dumb gets. Miami is one of the most visited city in the world for hundreds of different reasons but yet people consistently say dumb **** about it. Comical

I spent the first 24 years of my life in Miami and the last 23 in San Diego.

I've traveled back to Miami for countless games since I moved—and outside of the brutal traffic, I've found myself more impressed with the Miami that exists now, than the one I grew up with—regarding what it's grown into (nothing beats having grown up in Miami in the 80's and early 90's).

The Wynwood and Brickell areas are like time-traveling into the future and the city itself has become one of the most unique cities in the country—as well as a global destination.

Laughable that any rube from f**king East Lansing, Michigan would have an opinion about Miami—considering they'll fly into Ft. Lauderdale, cram four Midwestern lardasses into two beds at a Holiday Inn Express in Miami Gardens, while eating exclusively at Hooters and Denny's, before flying home Sunday .... talking about how Miami as a city isn't "all that".

The your O-line is what I’m most afraid of controlling drives , we’ll run it attitude is O-line dream till you stop it wearing opponents down will be your game plan no doubt.

We’ve had issues getting off the field and this plays into MSU road grading all game till exhaustion perfect eating up clock.

3rd and short is going to be tough to stop .
It'll definitely be interesting to see our OL against your athletes. Last year, MSU's OL was bad. Like really bad. It has been bad since probably 2015. (Probably part of Dantonio's downfall). I think Walker averaged over 11 ypc against NU. Northwestern lost a lot, but was still the returning B1G West champ... so maybe? Anyway, If we can run against you, we can probably run against any team we play. I'm excited for the test.

Advertisement
“Good lord, they are not a happy bunch. They're not really complimentary of us so much as they are absolutely out for Diaz's head. The only rational person in that thread is the guy that thinks App State is better than us. And while I'm tempted to protest that I probably wouldn't have two weeks ago.”

“I have no advice on the locale, but just be mindful of your family the entire time. That fan base is by far the worst in all of college football, and it's why I have serious reservations about ever returning to that rent-a-stadium they can't ever fill.”

“A someone who has been to Miami many times, I would strongly suggest that you don't go. The city itself is fine; however, south Florida in August/September is the closest any human can get to **** before dying. NOT advisable.”

“Be sure to hit the Applebeee’s on 41st street. The best Cuban sandwich and Bud draught you’ll ever taste.” [ come to Miami to get an Applebee’s Cuban…]

“Watched them a bit last night. We need to clean up the penalties and get healed up a bit this week (Horst and the RB's especially). If we do that and play smart disciplined ball out of the gate like we showed we are capable of doing against NW, I do think Miami will wilt once we punch them in the mouth.”

“I know, it's kind of stating the obvious and the hope almost all of us are now feeling. We didn't expect our team, esp. the offense, to be this impressive. We also didn't necessarily foresee Miami getting thumped that badly by Bama, then barely surviving App State.Could this be a close, high-scoring game that takes 35 points or more to win? I'm not that confident we can stop King and that offense. But I like our chances of scoring at a solid level against their D.”

“I think this team is better than App State so should win.”

“I watched the game last night against App State. The team relies on King, but he was pretty average. He missed a number of throws, passes were dropped, and he did have some good throws. He faced moderate pressure the entire game and got hit a lot. He is mobile, but not to the degree pre-injury.On defense, App State ran at will, pretty much straight ahead. App State RB People’s is a good RB. Looked like Miami played exclusively 4-3. Brice looked decent and and except when he was backed up. Otherwise AppState ran similar offense as MSU. Best part of Miami last night was their punter who backed App State up about 5 times. Miami is not a physical team on either side of the ball, and they didn’t look all that big. They also didn’t tackle very well. While their CBs made some very good tackles at the end of the game, before that they weren’t so good. Keys for MSU, protect the ball, play physical, run the offense. Probably need to score 35+ unless the D can step up. id call it even right now being on the road, but I like that we can cycle a lot of guys. If we can run fir 200, minimize turnovers, have a B game on special teams, we can dominate. I also think Miami may have lost a starting LB and RB.”

“King ain't a QB. Yeah, I'll say it. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but the guy is more of a tailback playing QB than a true QB.”

“It’s only going to be a high of 89 on Saturday. Hard rock stadium was half empty. Get a few thousand Spartan fans in there and it’s a difference maker.Miami was gassed after last night as well. Cautiously optimistic. It’s setting up better than expected. Less fans, not as hot, tired football team with mediocre run defense.”

“I know we are feeling good after two solid wins but Miami is a significantly better team. I think our DE and LB lack of depth shows in this one with King’s speed to the edge. A 10ish point loss in the road to a top 25 team still leaves me optimistic for the future.”

“They are not significantly better. Did you watch their game last night? That's an undisciplined team and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they self destruct.”

“That offense had 375 yards yesterday, on a nice day.Is it really a good offense? King looks to be a shell of his old self. He's definitely no where near the dynamic runner he was.”

“App St gave up 25 to UM. They also gave up 19 to ECU. Why do y’all think WE need to score 35?I think we WILL put up 35, but the final might be 38-24. Go Green!”

“Miami is what I’ve been telling you all for over a year they are.
Only worse. As they had two big injuries Saturday and King does not have his full speed back yet (his quickness is there, but he’s not getting the huge 30+ yard runs now, he’s getting caught fast).”

“Agree on King. He missed some passes that had you wondering what he was doing. If we had even an average pass rush that would be helpful. Hope the DE’s are back and healthy.”

On the cat falling:

“It doesn’t get more American than that. Or Florida Man. Or Florida Feline I guess.”

“Just the home team fans trying to create their own excitement and have something to cheer for.”
Bro.. You lost me at get an Applebee's Cuban.

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
I said it in two other threads (literally by copying and pasting), but no fan base in America hates us as much as we hate ourselves.
Yep - with a bunch of CiS regulars over in the recruiting threads *****ing about the same things these have 47 threads on this board to complain about thinking it’ll help with the recruit….

A lot of those opinions have a GREATER DEGREE MERIT of truth. So don't let your Cane emotions muddle up you rational commonsensical knowledge. In other words, I dig the opinion one dude mentioned above. Once we ( Spartans ) bunch Miami in the mouth a few times. They will melt like ice on a 110 degree day in the Sonoran desert. LOL Enter mighty Wisconsin twice. Especially the Gotham Bowl game embarrassment.

Again, other than Nebraska, Michigan St. is one of your usual typical Big Ten teams. Mean, nasty, DISCIPLINED, and rugged in the OL/DL trenches. Ouch.
Oh trust me, I'm not saying they aren't truthful, most of them could be regular porsters on this board. That's why I went through and grabbed a few, because some were echoing comments on here. The Miami posts are as typical probably as some Floridans would post about Detroit. But, I ran the owner of the Detroit Tigers Yacht and spent 8 summers in Detroit and it was nowhere near what I thought it would be when I first heard I'd be heading there. Was down in Miami, Lauderdale and SW Fl winters, back during the wild Cocaine 80s, when running offshore at night was more dangerous than either city.

Your point about OL/DL is spot on, we don't do well against SEC fronts or teams that have decent running games - people discounted App State - but they've had nine straight years with a 1,000 yard rusher - whens the last time Canes RBs strung a decent stretch of those?

Sometimes its interesting to see what people from the outside see, no matter how hysterical a fan base we're part of. They got me on the Applebees. But hey did you notice one of them singled out the brightest star of this Cane's season: #94 Lou! Lou! Lou!

Last edited:
“Good lord, they are not a happy bunch. They're not really complimentary of us so much as they are absolutely out for Diaz's head. The only rational person in that thread is the guy that thinks App State is better than us. And while I'm tempted to protest that I probably wouldn't have two weeks ago.”

“I have no advice on the locale, but just be mindful of your family the entire time. That fan base is by far the worst in all of college football, and it's why I have serious reservations about ever returning to that rent-a-stadium they can't ever fill.”

“A someone who has been to Miami many times, I would strongly suggest that you don't go. The city itself is fine; however, south Florida in August/September is the closest any human can get to **** before dying. NOT advisable.”

“Be sure to hit the Applebeee’s on 41st street. The best Cuban sandwich and Bud draught you’ll ever taste.” [ come to Miami to get an Applebee’s Cuban…]

“Watched them a bit last night. We need to clean up the penalties and get healed up a bit this week (Horst and the RB's especially). If we do that and play smart disciplined ball out of the gate like we showed we are capable of doing against NW, I do think Miami will wilt once we punch them in the mouth.”

“I know, it's kind of stating the obvious and the hope almost all of us are now feeling. We didn't expect our team, esp. the offense, to be this impressive. We also didn't necessarily foresee Miami getting thumped that badly by Bama, then barely surviving App State.Could this be a close, high-scoring game that takes 35 points or more to win? I'm not that confident we can stop King and that offense. But I like our chances of scoring at a solid level against their D.”

“I think this team is better than App State so should win.”

“I watched the game last night against App State. The team relies on King, but he was pretty average. He missed a number of throws, passes were dropped, and he did have some good throws. He faced moderate pressure the entire game and got hit a lot. He is mobile, but not to the degree pre-injury.On defense, App State ran at will, pretty much straight ahead. App State RB People’s is a good RB. Looked like Miami played exclusively 4-3. Brice looked decent and and except when he was backed up. Otherwise AppState ran similar offense as MSU. Best part of Miami last night was their punter who backed App State up about 5 times. Miami is not a physical team on either side of the ball, and they didn’t look all that big. They also didn’t tackle very well. While their CBs made some very good tackles at the end of the game, before that they weren’t so good. Keys for MSU, protect the ball, play physical, run the offense. Probably need to score 35+ unless the D can step up. id call it even right now being on the road, but I like that we can cycle a lot of guys. If we can run fir 200, minimize turnovers, have a B game on special teams, we can dominate. I also think Miami may have lost a starting LB and RB.”

“King ain't a QB. Yeah, I'll say it. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but the guy is more of a tailback playing QB than a true QB.”

“It’s only going to be a high of 89 on Saturday. Hard rock stadium was half empty. Get a few thousand Spartan fans in there and it’s a difference maker.Miami was gassed after last night as well. Cautiously optimistic. It’s setting up better than expected. Less fans, not as hot, tired football team with mediocre run defense.”

“I know we are feeling good after two solid wins but Miami is a significantly better team. I think our DE and LB lack of depth shows in this one with King’s speed to the edge. A 10ish point loss in the road to a top 25 team still leaves me optimistic for the future.”

“They are not significantly better. Did you watch their game last night? That's an undisciplined team and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they self destruct.”

“That offense had 375 yards yesterday, on a nice day.Is it really a good offense? King looks to be a shell of his old self. He's definitely no where near the dynamic runner he was.”

“App St gave up 25 to UM. They also gave up 19 to ECU. Why do y’all think WE need to score 35?I think we WILL put up 35, but the final might be 38-24. Go Green!”

“Miami is what I’ve been telling you all for over a year they are.
Only worse. As they had two big injuries Saturday and King does not have his full speed back yet (his quickness is there, but he’s not getting the huge 30+ yard runs now, he’s getting caught fast).”

“Agree on King. He missed some passes that had you wondering what he was doing. If we had even an average pass rush that would be helpful. Hope the DE’s are back and healthy.”

On the cat falling:

“It doesn’t get more American than that. Or Florida Man. Or Florida Feline I guess.”

“Just the home team fans trying to create their own excitement and have something to cheer for.”
Not sure what y'all find so amusing about that? What I'd find amusing is any honest fan of ours who doesn't find that assessment both fair and 100% accurate... If y'all don't agree about his breakdown of us you should change up sports.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Save us Mel Tucker
mel.jpg

MSU fan here.

A) the Applebee's thing is absolutely a recurring joke on the RCMB (Red Cedar Message Board)
B) MSU fans are mostly just pumped that we think we have a shot with this game. Preseason, this was thought to be almost a sure fire loss. Miami doesn't appear to be as strong as initially thought. We look better than anticipated.

MSU has switched the last couple years (with Coach Tucker) to a 4-2-5. The back 7 is pretty new. Only 2 guys are starting in the same spot as last year. Henderson, at safety, is one of them and is pretty **** good. The two LBs are brand new: Crouch from Tenn is a crazy athlete, but doesn't usually know where he is going. Halliday, the other LB is a RS Frosh who only played special teams last year. The DL is probably a decent B10 squad, but there is definitely not that stud pass rusher.

Offense has been a pleasant surprise. Soph QB Thorne won the battle and has been pretty good. No TOs is probably the best part. The OL has been hot garbage for the last several years, but the new staff seems to have gotten their sh** together and they look decent (maybe even good?). RB Walker is the name to know. He's excellent. We basically sat him against YSU to save him for this game. He's already got over 300 yds rushing and 5 TDs over 2 games (with really only playing 2 series against YSU.)

I doubt most Spartans are expecting a win. But I think we all have some hope coming off a mess of a season last year. Go Green.
I'm from Michigan and I agree with everything you said. I still question how good the oline is and thought that both corners, especially Williams the transfer looked really bad against northwestern. His technique was all over the place. Gervin was a little better. In that game they left them one on one alot and we're lucky they weren't torched. The rest of the d looks more like what MSU is used to

Anyone that thinks Miami loses this game has not seen MSU’s defense.
Stop the run, guard against the big play (pass) and win by double digits.

Exactly. And saying 'Miami' doesn't really make sense when talking about South Florida. It's a diverse county, and Miami is just a part of it. For instance, the game is in Miami Gardens, not Miami, and it's very close to the county line. Be mindful of your family? What the **** does that mean?
Lots of brown and black ppl in south Florida..but that’s a nicer way of putting it

Advertisement
Back