What the NFL Draft will tell us about Cristobal and Miami's evaluations

View as article
Advertisement
That’s cherry picking, & it’s a disingenuous statement, D. I’m sorry, but there’s no way u should’ve included Benson played in 2 games in 2021 for 6 total carries and 3.7 ypc or Saumataia had one snap for Mario. Lol

U also realize, that there far more players that were “identified” that weren’t developed that were, correct? Like by a significant margin.
If Benson didn't recover from his injury and turn into the player he was, you wouldn't be making this argument. I don't give Norvell credit for development. He didn't develop Benson. He acquired him and should be given credit for that. I don't think anyone can make the argument that Norvell would sign a transfer portal player who is not developed and coming off an injury to become his starter. He would be taking him purely off of high school film. No way.

Perhaps Mario knew more about Benson's injury and didn't think he'd recover to be the productive guy that he was.

If Benson didn't recover from his injury and turn into the player he was, you wouldn't be making this argument. I don't give Norvell credit for development. He didn't develop Benson. He acquired him and should be given credit for that. I don't think anyone can make the argument that Norvell would sign a transfer portal player who is not developed and coming off an injury to become his starter. He would be taking him purely off of high school film. No way.

Perhaps Mario knew more about Benson's injury and didn't think he'd recover to be the productive guy that he was.

This is such a b.s post, & I f w/ u on the baseball thread. Ur hate for FSU is blinding u on this. Benson played specifically for Norvell, in Norvell’s offense, under Norvell’s S&C program.

Bet; if Kam goes 1st - 3rd round, then by this same logic Mario gets zero credit for his development.

Like what r we doing out here? U guys r starting to sound like LBJ fans who continue to redefine & change criteria to fit him being The GOAT. Lol

Last edited:
This is such a b.s post, & I f w/ u on the baseball thread. U’re hate for FSU is blinding u on this. Benson played specifically for Norvell, in Norvell’s offense, under Norvell’s S&C program.

Bet, if Kam goes 1st - 3rd round, then by this same logic Mario gets zero credit for his development.

Like what r we doing out here? U guys r starting to sound like LBJ fans who continue to redefine & change criteria to fit him being The GOAT. Lol
Suspicious Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

Advertisement
This is such a b.s post, & I f w/ u on the baseball thread. Ur hate for FSU is blinding u on this. Benson played specifically for Norvell, in Norvell’s offense, under Norvell’s S&C program.

Bet; if Kam goes 1st - 3rd round, then by this same logic Mario gets zero credit for his development.

BS. NO. I completely disagree. You totally ignore my points and what you described is not development. It's scheme. Norvell's offense was a good fit for Benson. It has nothing to do with his strength, how fast he can run, or cut.

Did Mario develop Kiko, Cohan, or Matt Lee? NO. Kiko is the perfect example. 2nd year under Guidry. Did he or Mario develop him? NO. He's a good scheme fit and his skills flourish under guidry. They identified his talent and brought him into the program.

When I look at development, I need to see more than one guy at that position within that coach's tenure. What other RB at FSU has Norvell developed into anything in his 4 seasons at FSU? All of the sudden he's a RB whisperer? NO. There are very few players that Norvell has actually recruited and developed into anything at FSU? To his credit, he's acquired a lot of really good transfer talent, but everyone wants to crown him as some great developer of talent? Show me the high school kid's he recruited and developed? Oh, those are the one's that got beat 63-3 in the Orange Bowl. If he was really a developer, you'd see it with the high school kids and not just the transfers that everyone wants to claim.

Last edited:
BS. NO. I completely disagree. You totally ignore my points and what you described is not development. It's scheme. Norvell's offense was a good fit for Benson. It has nothing to do with his strength, how fast he can run, or cut.

Did Mario develop Kiko, Cohan, or Matt Lee? NO. Kiko is the perfect example. 2nd year under Guidry. Did he or Mario develop him? NO. He's a good scheme fit and his skills flourish under guidry. They identified his talent and brought him into the program.

When I look at development, I need to see more than one guy at that position within that coach's tenure. What other RB at FSU has Norvell developed into anything in his 4 seasons at FSU? All of the sudden he's a RB whisperer? NO. There are very few players that Norvell has actually recruited and developed into anything at FSU? To his credit, he's acquired a lot of really good transfer talent, but everyone wants to crown his as some great developer of talent? Show me the high school kid's he recruited and developed? Oh, those are the one's that got beat 63-3 in the Orange Bowl. If he was really a developer, you'd see it with the high school kids and not just the transfers that everyone wants to claim.

U’re comparing Benson to guys who played 2+ years under previous coaches. Lol. Benson carried the ball exactly 6x under Mario, like what r we talking….

U know what, never mind. Every now & then I step in to CIS, & I remember I need to take a break from the lunacy that goes on around here. If that’s what u feel development is, then dammit, cheers to u.

That cohen nugget screams of teams trying to spread false rumors to hopefully get him to drop

College football is a business now not much different t than the NFL… he left via the portal( free agency) for greener pastures… any team over thinking the decision probably struggles to draft quality players

Advertisement
I have been, but more importantly well b4 Mario took to the field, my concern has not been stars (although they are important), it’s been development. My constant gripe have been: How is it that all the blue chip players that has been recruited by Bama, UGA, OSU, UofM, etc have panned out, yet somehow all the guys we’ve recruited are somehow “mis-evaluated?”

So now that Mario’s here, my tune has not changed. I’ve been very consistent that recruiting is & has not been our problem, player development has been. So while it’s cool naming a handful of players that Mario has identified & signed at UO who have or will go on to the NFL, that handful doesn’t move me b/c I can literally do that for every coach since Shannon; is that going to make me forget the remaining 85-90% of those coaches’ classes that did chit here?
If you want to argue about development that's a whole different thread. Evaluation and development are two distinct parts of the process.

The jury's out on Mario's development skills. IMO, he deserves more credit for his success in the Pac-12 (Lincoln Riley is struggling there with a great QB) but Mario has been below .500 here. Many players have regressed. This season is critical.

Evaluation is a different story. The fact that so many of his guys performed so well at the Combine tells me he has a good eye for physical traits. Six guys in the Top 100 is a big number- we haven't done that since 2006. For perspective, Devin Hester was in that draft. You can only improve someone's speed and size so much.

I'm confident Mario is going to bring some players with big-league traits on campus. That's why we signed him, and that's what he's done at other stops. Now he needs to win.

Advertisement
Tough Post for Miami being able to develop 5 star talents

If James Williams went to UGA or Bama there is no way he’s playing Safety for 3 years and they prob develop him to be a LB. One because Kirby and Saban would have other top talent at S that are better than JW. And two because they’re not stupid enough to leave him at S knowing his size and skillset screamed OLB

LT looked sloppy and out of shape. Maybe it’s just his work ethic but either way Not the best look for our S&C

When I look at development, I need to see more than one guy at that position within that coach's tenure. What other RB at FSU has Norvell developed into anything in his 4 seasons at FSU? All of the sudden he's a RB whisperer? NO. There are very few players that Norvell has actually recruited and developed into anything at FSU? To his credit, he's acquired a lot of really good transfer talent, but everyone wants to crown his as some great developer of talent? Show me the high school kid's he recruited and developed? Oh, those are the one's that got beat 63-3 in the Orange Bowl. If he was really a developer, you'd see it with the high school kids and not just the transfers that everyone wants to claim.
Pollard, Gibson, and Gainwell are all his. But that’s pre FSU.

Advertisement
Tough Post for Miami being able to develop 5 star talents

If James Williams went to UGA or Bama there is no way he’s playing Safety for 3 years and they prob develop him to be a LB. One because Kirby and Saban would have other top talent at S that are better than JW. And two because they’re not stupid enough to leave him at S knowing his size and skillset screamed OLB

LT looked sloppy and out of shape. Maybe it’s just his work ethic but either way Not the best look for our S&C
Our S&C may not be who trained him or other guys for the draft

Benson is a FSU guy; that’s where he played & was developed

Suamataia is a BYU guy; that’s where he played & was developed.
You're my boy Rell but I've got to disagree with you here. With all due respect, I think you may have missed Dmoney's point. He's just saying that Mario identified these kids as guys that had the ability to develop into physically elite and explosive players and that is a big reason why he recruited them. Basically Dmoney's point is that Mario has an eye for talent similar to Butch. Butch however was on another level.

Jordan at his peak was better than LBJ at his peak. Here's the argument for LBJ:

-40k career points is insane
-Longevity and durability
-The talent pool was much deeper during LBJ's era, due to European players
-There was much more player movement during LBJ's era. Players teamed up to win rings while LBJ was around
-LBJ is the most versatile player of all time. If you were having an all time draft, he'd likely go #1 bc you can pick anyone at #2. You can't pick Kobe second if you pick MJ first, for example
-Losing in the finals isn't worse than losing before the finals

There's no wrong answer. It just depends what you value and how you define GOAT

Advertisement
Back