What if there's no season...

Advertisement
If there is no football season, I would say that the US economy will has (or will soon) collapse. I'd suggest you use the time normally devoted to football to start learning Mandarin.

And perfect your weapons training. If we're still in shut down 6 months from now, there will not be a society left and it will be every man for himself.

Advertisement
I will kill everyone

What are the chances they just move the college season to a later start time and cancel non conference games
If there is an adjustment to the season, at this point, I don't think it will be a complete cancellation. What I do think might happen is a shortening of the season because the players are missing out on valuable training and conditioning. I could see them starting the season in October and basically dismissing all of the games before that point.

The 09 team was better...
This team is just coming off a season with losses to: FIU, Duke, Georgia Tech, shutout by La Tech, and was in a complete nail biter to CMU. With the same head coach returning along with his staff of unqualified minions on the defensive side of the ball. Don't want this 2020 compared to any University of Miami team since the 80's considering how bad they were last year. We as a program haven't been that bad in 50 years.

Advertisement
It can happen obviously but it’s a long way out for the start of the season. As recently as today they were talking about allowing teams To have a minicamp before fall practice sometime in May-June-July. I can See the season starting late September instead of at the beginning.
That's actually more than likely.

If no season I expect CIS to swear up and down we were going to be playing Clemson for the ACC ship

This team is just coming off a season with losses to: FIU, Duke, Georgia Tech, shutout by La Tech, and was in a complete nail biter to CMU. With the same head coach returning along with his staff of unqualified minions on the defensive side of the ball. Don't want this 2020 compared to any University of Miami team since the 80's considering how bad they were last year. We as a program haven't been that bad in 50 years.
Disgree. Some unique bad factors combined to make the team look far worse collectively than it actually was. Offensive line was the worst that it has been perhaps in the modern era, but that's it. Unfortunately though with that young and poor of a line, everything else breaks down (protection, run blocking) and made the entire offense look putrid. And by extension, the entire team.

Worst teams in the modern era (Schelly and beyond)
1. 1979 Canes (Howard's first team)
2. 1997 Canes (Probation wracked)
3. 2007 Canes (Randy's first year with blowouts galore, including the indignity at the last game of the OB)
4. 2012 Canes (Very, very youthful team coupled with a bad defensive scheme)
5. 2019 Canes (Terrible offensive line hampered everything else on offense coupled with rookie HC)
6. 2006 Canes (Recruiting shortfalls at WR and QB of the previous years finally caught up, giving Miami its worst offense of the modern era and ruining the contributions of the last traditionally great Canes defense)
7. 2018 Canes (Poor offensive scheme, deteriorating OL, and poor QB play hampered everything)
7. 1995 Canes (Finished 8-3, but won many of those games by less than a TD. Struggled mightily against teams we previously destroyed)
8. 1993 Canes (Team wracked with turmoil, lost its first Big East game, lost badly to FSU, and was shut out by Arizona)
9. 2010 Canes (Badly underperformed per level of talent, coaching turmoil, lack of QB depth really caught up with Miami)

Advertisement
If there is no season, it will be due to the players not wanting to risk infection. And the schools not wanting law suits. The ADs, TV folks, and coaches can stay 6-10 feet away from other humans, the players can't.

Disgree. Some unique bad factors combined to make the team look far worse collectively than it actually was. Offensive line was the worst that it has been perhaps in the modern era, but that's it. Unfortunately though with that young and poor of a line, everything else breaks down (protection, run blocking) and made the entire offense look putrid. And by extension, the entire team.

Worst teams in the modern era (Schelly and beyond)
1. 1979 Canes (Howard's first team)
2. 1997 Canes (Probation wracked)
3. 2007 Canes (Randy's first year with blowouts galore, including the indignity at the last game of the OB)
4. 2012 Canes (Very, very youthful team coupled with a bad defensive scheme)
5. 2019 Canes (Terrible offensive line hampered everything else on offense coupled with rookie HC)
6. 2006 Canes (Recruiting shortfalls at WR and QB of the previous years finally caught up, giving Miami its worst offense of the modern era and ruining the contributions of the last traditionally great Canes defense)
7. 2018 Canes (Poor offensive scheme, deteriorating OL, and poor QB play hampered everything)
7. 1995 Canes (Finished 8-3, but won many of those games by less than a TD. Struggled mightily against teams we previously destroyed)
8. 1993 Canes (Team wracked with turmoil, lost its first Big East game, lost badly to FSU, and was shut out by Arizona)
9. 2010 Canes (Badly underperformed per level of talent, coaching turmoil, lack of QB depth really caught up with Miami)
That is why I put 80's. We were a disaster in 70's and before.

Valid points on all others, but I still put 2019 as #1 BY A LONG SHOT. The most inept football team i have ever watched. Missed PAT's, 10% 3rd down conversion percentage consistently, defense consistently giving up 3rd and longs or 4th down conversions, a true freshman with no other power 5 offers starting at LT, roster mismanagement, qb carousel, Dancing on sidelines, Diaz not knowing situations as a HC, having to "take over" defense half way through season, etc.

It was the perfect storm of an absolute **** product

Last edited:
Advertisement
The 1918-19 Flu Pandemic hit in three waves -- mildest outbreak was Spring 1918. Worst was when the flu returned in the Fall of 1918, with October being the most deadly month. That was followed by a third wave in Jan/Feb/Mar of 1919. People under 65 were the hardest hit throughout the pandemic.

What if the country "reopens" but a few states are still relative hotbeds? Let's say some hilljack state like Mississippi where the governor has essentially overruled local governments and deemed almost all businesses as "essential" is the last to reach some level of dormancy? What if the country becomes semi-fragmented based on state-by-state or region-by-region virus rates and schools refuse to play certain schools?

If there is no season it will be painful, but it might save us some heart ache.

What if the country "reopens" but a few states are still relative hotbeds? Let's say some hilljack state like Mississippi where the governor has essentially overruled local governments and deemed almost all businesses as "essential" is the last to reach some level of dormancy? What if the country becomes semi-fragmented based on state-by-state or region-by-region virus rates and schools refuse to play certain schools?
Tad, I also see that as rather likely, it would make for interesting scheduling dilemma

Advertisement
Back