What if there's no season...

That is why I put 80's. We were a disaster in 70's and before.

Valid points on all others, but I still put 2019 as #1 BY A LONG SHOT. The most inept football team i have ever watched. Missed PAT's, 10% 3rd down conversion percentage consistently, defense consistently giving up 3rd and longs or 4th down conversions, a true freshman with no other power 5 offers starting at LT, roster mismanagement, qb carousel, Dancing on sidelines, Diaz not knowing situations as a HC, having to "take over" defense half way through season, etc.

It was the perfect storm of an absolute **** product
I tend to also look at the strength of the roster as a whole. Taken just on on field results, you can make the argument that 2019 was one of the worst ever. But kicker aside (who accounted for 3 losses) and the terrible offensive line, the rest of the team was not that bad.

As bad as the FIU loss was, I can think of a number of losses that were worse:

2015 Clemson: 58-0...at home! These were two teams that on paper had fairly similar strength, but we left the game knowing that one org was clearly headed in the right direction, and one wasn't
2007 Virginia: 48-0...last game at the Orange Bowl. A disasterous end to our original home.
1997 FSU: 47-0...it made me question if we'd ever be back
2005 LSU: 40-3...first time in the Coker era that we had been manhandled like that...a signal of the beginning of the end
1993 Arizona: 29-0...first shutout of the Canes during the Swagger Era....a sign that the original dynasty was coming to a close
1998 Syracuse: 66-13....by far the worst blowout I'd seen...a humiliating step back for a rebuilding program.

The FIU loss was very embarrassing...but these to me were worse as they seemed to shake the very foundations of the program.

Advertisement
Tad, I also see that as rather likely, it would make for interesting scheduling dilemma

I think the way we'd see it is if we ever start implementing domestic travel restrictions as that would really allow for more distinct state or regional variances in combating this. It would be interesting though if say UiF refuses to go play at Ole Miss or any number of other scenarios- assuming we have a season or that this still is an issue come the fall.

It depends on if they can come up with treatment solutions or a vaccine, both remotely possible given the time frame but still possible.

Advertisement
I tend to also look at the strength of the roster as a whole. Taken just on on field results, you can make the argument that 2019 was one of the worst ever. But kicker aside (who accounted for 3 losses) and the terrible offensive line, the rest of the team was not that bad.

2015 Clemson: 58-0...at home! These were two teams that on paper had fairly similar strength, but we left the game knowing that one org was clearly headed in the right direction, and one wasn't
2007 Virginia: 48-0...last game at the Orange Bowl. A disasterous end to our original home.
2005 LSU: 40-3...first time in the Coker era that we had been manhandled like that...a signal of the beginning of the end
1993 Arizona: 29-0...first shutout of the Canes during the Swagger Era....a sign that the original dynasty was coming to a close
1998 Syracuse: 66-13....by far the worst blowout I'd seen...a humiliating step back for a rebuilding program.

The FIU loss was very embarrassing...but these to me were worse as they seemed to shake the very foundations of the program.
Shutout by LA Tech (first power 5 team to be shut out in bowl game against group of 5)? Georgia Tech at home who had what 3 wins last season?

Every team listed above are legit power 5 teams, whether they are beat downs or not.

The 1918-19 Flu Pandemic hit in three waves -- mildest outbreak was Spring 1918. Worst was when the flu returned in the Fall of 1918, with October being the most deadly month. That was followed by a third wave in Jan/Feb/Mar of 1919. People under 65 were the hardest hit throughout the pandemic.

Sounds promising

Shutout by LA Tech (first power 5 team to be shut out in bowl game against group of 5)? Georgia Tech at home who had what 3 wins last season?

Every team listed above are legit power 5 teams, whether they are beat downs or not.
I get your point, and it's not wrong to think of these as the worst.

But the losses that I listed...except for Syracuse because we redeemed ourselves next week against UCLA....were more significant in the long-term.

Advertisement
If it’s cancelled
We won the off season nc
Just hang the banner and call it a day
Still more legit than UCF’s “national championship “

Think about the steps that team made from the 98 ‘Cuse and VT disasters to just a year or two later. Insane.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back