What if the ACC went to 16 Teams?

4 Texas teams in Big 12.

4 California teams in Big 12.

Doesn't matter if you're a "charter member" or not. California, Texas, and Florida are all big enough to handle 4 teams in the same conference.

If I had to choose between UCF and USF, I would choose UCF. More growth potential and would really be a thorn in the side of UF and FSU when it comes to recruiting.

Advertisement
There should be four Conferences with 16 teams each, but no divisions. Top 2 teams in each conference play eachother for Conference Championship. Winner of each of the 4 Conferences gets a spot in the 4 team CFP. (this essentially makes it an 8 team playoff - but where the Conference Championship game is essentially the first playoff game). I think this would work best by far.

Plus theres like 65 P5 schools already, so 4 conferences of 16 teams would be 64. Take out a few that shouldn't be in, and add a few that should....or just make each conference have 17 or 18 or whatever....

Where people think the conference would put miami FSU va tech and Clemson in the same division is beyond me...

Actually Louisville is not that far from WVU in the Rankings. The problem with WVU is their Admissions standards which is mandated by the state. WVU can talk **** about Marshall all they want, but the requirements are the exact same as any other state public university in the state. By state law, WVU can raise the standards to meet the ACC admission requirements.

Louisville is easily the worst ACC school so the ACC would need to lower the bar even further to allow WVU in. WVU is actually pretty far behind Louisville even if you are going by the school rankings(they are something like 30 spots behind them) as opposed to what jobs look at. If 2 people with the same GPA are applying for a job. One is a WVU grad and one is Louisville grad the Louisville grad will get it every time. Louisville also has a pretty good track record for kids who want to be dentists. WVU doesn't have anything like that to stand on. I don't know why Marshall is being brought up lol. If you are saying WVU competes with Marshall academically that tells you everything you need to know about WVU. Any school that is similar academically to Marshall is not going to be coming close to joining the ACC.

Advertisement
Like Temple

Nobody gives 2 f**** about Rutgers in NYC.

Thing is what if Rutgers joined the ACC when Miami, VT, and BC did(So should have Syracuse, WVU, and Pitt)

You would then have in 2004.

North
BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Maryland, Pitt, VT, UVA

South
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, Wake, UNC, Duke

ND would then would have either been forced to join the BIG or stay Indy and join in with the rest of the Catholic schools.

UCONN would have been screwed because they just brought their football program to the higher level. Remember they was Non-Scholarship 1AA until 2000 I think.

Rutgers is actually a pretty good academic school. They would easily be able to join the ACC.

Here’s the thing …

Miami initially wasn’t considered good enough for the ACC. There’s a lot of revisionists now, but the Big East raised Miami’s “profile/standing” enough to ultimately qualify Miami for the ACC.

Miami joined the Big East in 1991 and at the time Miami was probably ranked 95th +/- 5. Association with PC, BC, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown … helped Miami’s image/academic standing. What ruined the Big East? The independent Indiana Team (IIT). The ACC is dumb and desperate to allow the “IIT” in all sports but football. They need to be treated like BYU or UMASS.

Very true. Pre-Shalala Miami would not have any chance of joining the ACC. Being in the ACC also boosted up the school academically to were we are today.

I think that actually helps WVU because they would bring a program that everyone can hate and that would bring compelling TV. What made Big East basketball so good back in the day was because everyone pretty much hated each other.
Wvu had absolutely nothing to do with Big East basketball "back in the day."

Advertisement
College Presidents matter. She was good for Miami and was there at the right time but in an alternate universe where Miami is still a football independent when she arrived … I don’t believe Miami gets to low 40’s from a few years ago. Another slip … and Miami I should in the 60’s in a few years.

I completely agree. As much as people hate her for ******** up football. She did a lot for the academics. She got us all the way down to the mid 30s back in 2011 or 2012. I agree about the independent as well. Army and the Indiana school were able to reach close to an Ivy level of academics because they have been around for so long and have been elite academically for so long. Miami cannot say the same.

Advertisement
Where people think the conference would put miami FSU va tech and Clemson in the same division is beyond me...

I guess it not beyond other conferences to have powerhouse divisions also.

Sounds like your scared of competition

Rutgers is actually a pretty good academic school. They would easily be able to join the ACC.

Rutgers ia a member of the AAU. This organization is by invitation only, there are only 62 schools that have the qualifications to be members. So yes Rutgers is a very good academic school.
However any school to leave the B1G would be foolish.

Advertisement
VT blocked WVU when Beamer was the coach. It would be interesting to see if they would try and block them now.

VT blocked WVU when Beamer was the coach. It would be interesting to see if they would try and block them now.

Not just VT, but UNC and UVA has always had a hatred towards WVU since the beginning of the ACC. It used to be because of travel and it was difficult for schools to get there for games. Now its academics.

That article is from 2012.

Nobody cares about ND outside of Football. They’re the key for the ACC. As much as I hate them, I understand they add value for business. That being said, if College Football expands the playoffs, I don’t see a reason for them to join a conference.

That article is from 2012.

Nobody cares about ND outside of Football. They’re the key for the ACC. As much as I hate them, I understand they add value for business. That being said, if College Football expands the playoffs, I don’t see a reason for them to join a conference.

i know when it's from. there hasnt been anything new on the subject since that I've found. unless you know swofford, I'm all ears.

Advertisement
Back