What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

What?? U sound stupid, in all due respect. We didn’t win it all in 2000 b/c we didn’t have a chance to win it all! If I’m not mistaken, that 2000 Canes team is still the only team in NCAA history to have 1 or less losses, beat the #1 and #2 ranked schools in the same year, be ranked as the # 2 team in the AP and Coaches poll AND NOT play for a national championship.

We smash OU in 2000 w/o a doubt. They put up, what? 13 points that game??! FOH. We steam roll them.
LoL at having trouble with FSU (Snoop Minnis didnt even play) but would've beaten the same team as 2001....but with Tana...Wayne and Andre King......LoL

Advertisement
Your an Idiot....1999 Penn St was on Butch??....TFOH with that BS.....Blame the Ref who shorted James Jackson a yd which would've ended the game.

IMO, the big thing that hampered UM in 1999 was the injury to Najeh Davenport(I was at the opener vs Ohio St in Jersey) and he looked Marcus Dupree-ish and without him, we lost our late game hammer. I really think they only lose a game or two that season if he was around. Also Kenny Kelly was just mediocre, we simply couldn't run a full offense with him(it's why they ran so much Coker-T - two tights, two backs, and only one WR, which is crazy given they had Moss and Wayne)

Personal attack
What?? U sound stupid, in all due respect. We didn’t win it all in 2000 b/c we didn’t have a chance to win it all! If I’m not mistaken, that 2000 Canes team is still the only team in NCAA history to have 1 or less losses, beat the #1 and #2 ranked schools in the same year, be ranked as the # 2 team in the AP and Coaches poll AND NOT play for a national championship.

We smash OU in 2000 w/o a doubt. They put up, what? 13 points that game??! FOH. We steam roll them.
Go undefeated,, none your excuses matter.
Did you not see the Washington game?
A brilliant Shiano defense put the nix on that NC opportunity.
A Botch hire too.
You bandy the word Stupid a lot. Take a look in the mirror.
Better yet, get your GED certificate, you need one!..

Go undefeated,, none your excuses matter.
Did you not see the Washington game?
A brilliant Shiano defense put the nix on that NC opportunity.
A Botch hire too.
You bandy the word Stupid a lot. Take a look in the mirror.
Better yet, get your GED certificate, you need one!..

‘Get your GED certificate, you need one.’ Lol. U don’t become a part of a fraternity unless you attend a University, dummy; however, since u say I curve or bend the word stupid “a lot”, let me be frank w u and straighten out what I meant:

Your COMMENT WAS STUPID, stupid!

We did not win it all in 2000 b/c we did not play for the national Championship in 2000. We did not play for the National Championship b/c we were ****ed by a computer system! What is so hard for you to fckin comprehend, u sack of pubic hairs?!

Bandy this; your football IQ is equivalent to a grape squished by the luscious feet of a 400lb Italian woman in Veneto.

‘Get your GED certificate, you need one.’ Lol. U don’t become a part of a fraternity unless you attend a University, dummy; however, since u say I curve or bend the word stupid “a lot”, let me be frank w u and straighten out what I meant:

We did not win it all in 2000 b/c we did not play for the national Championship in 2000. We did not play for the National Championship b/c we were ****ed by a computer system! What is so hard for you to fckin comprehend, u sack of pubic hairs?!

Bandy this; your football IQ is equivalent to a grape squished by the luscious feet of a 400lb Italian woman in Veneto.

I had a hard time choosing between Like, Agree, and funny. @3GC is obviously an idiot with 0 football knowledge. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows we got ****ed that year.

Advertisement
The 2000 team was better and deeper than the 01 team. 2001 team gets all the credit because they finished ( understandably) but that 2000 team was unreal talented.

Cute. Now should I show you who's getting paid at Alabama or Ohio State?

FIU finished 65th in recruiting and they are typically sub 100 but sure FIU bags.

I didn't allude to him using bags at FIU because quite honestly nobody cares about FIU. It's a retirement home for coaches and daycare for kids who can't play P5.

Advertisement
BOOM!!......MoFos would've been knockin Hechts front door down.....
Butch stays.....We get
Dalvin Cook
Adrian Peterson
Jobe
Surtain
Freeman..etc.....

Not arguing the strength of your other points otherwise, but don’t get carried away.

This is a different era in recruiting.

Of that list, that’s just wild *** guessing we get any of those players with Butch, and it’s almost certain we don’t get Jobe, Surtain, or Cook. Jobe was playing us from day one. When pops Surtain had the closed door meeting with Saban 6 months before NSD (documented), the deal was done, Cook was a front runner playing everyone but supposedly was always headed to FSU and on and on....

So you guys agree. I’m with you both as well.
C579496B-6C8E-4C39-BE45-854CB2031834.jpeg

So....that article took up quite a bit of space to say nothing, really.

It also presents an unlikely all or none - Butch leaves for the Browns then or Butch stays through today. I think it is likely that if Butch turns down the Browns we get him for no more than 1-3 more years. During that time he wins 1-2 more championships and then he is gone.

The fact is that the U became the U under Howard. And Howard set the tone. It is about hunger and dominance, period. You win at Miami (players and coaches) and then you go pro. That's the model. The "modern Miami" is not predicated on coaches who stay until retirement. Although that may change as that is what Richt says he wants.
I always wanted the good coaches to stay. Hiring a coach can be a crap shoot, or a box of chocolates. Had Howard never left, we have more than 5 titles, and program stability for 4 decades. Instead we had one massive probation, some bad hires, and stretches of irrelevance. 4 of our 5 titles came from the original Howard model. We’ve won one title in the last 27 years, largely because of poor hires.

So yeah, the model of hiring coaches every 5 years does not work.

Advertisement
Would the U fans been faithfully loyal to Butch in the same way other programs were with the likes of Paterno, Bowden, Osborne, Beamer, Stoops, Snyder?

That question was answered with a plane banner. First 7 win season, fans would have been calling for Butch's head even after National Titles.

Personal attack

I have 2 degrees FROM UM,,
Economics & an MBA in finance. Class of 1976.
Polls & bowls, if you lose early, like at UW, you are at the mercy of teams losing above you. It didn't work out. Deal with it crybaby.
And NO , not drinking wine with yer mama..

Personally....I think the best way to answer and Squash this entire thread is to listen to someone who actually PLAYED for Butch...and who is friends with him as well....@Brooklyndee.....Waaayyy too much inaccuracies and stupidity in this thread....

Advertisement
That question was answered with a plane banner. First 7 win season, fans would have been calling for Butch's head even after National Titles.
I was standing 20ft from Butch when the Banner was flown.....How did Butch respond??
25 1st round NFL Picks 95-2004
17 from 2000-2004
3 Future NFL HOFers (Wilfork..Wayne...Reed).....Not a Bad response.....

Not really. We've recently picked up some real gems - not on blast with the recruiting services. Besides - Butch was spending some serious time out evaluating - and then recruiting. That was what I think was one of his favorite parts of coaching.
If people really knew how HARD Butch and staff recruited from 95-2000...The miles they put in....The overall effort....they'd be Shocked....

I have 2 degrees FROM UM,,
Economics & an MBA in finance. Class of 1976.
Polls & bowls, if you lose early, like at UW, you are at the mercy of teams losing above you. It didn't work out. Deal with it crybaby.
And NO , not drinking wine with yer mama..
Impressive

Advertisement
Back