What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

Would the U fans been faithfully loyal to Butch in the same way other programs were with the likes of Paterno, Bowden, Osborne, Beamer, Stoops, Snyder?
I think so....He should've played & beat OU....would've Won 2001...2002 and very possibly 2003....The level of recruiting took a massive dive under Larry....also....assistants left UM as well...(Chuds...Johnson..etc)...To make matters worse...Kehoe and Soldinger are fired....ALL those guys were Butch hires....I know one thing......If Butch were to have stayed...we'd have more NCs than we do now....The number of kids we lost out on because of Clappy...Shannon and Golden...wouldn't of happened with Butch....

Advertisement
They would have won like 5 national championships in a row. They would have been unstoppable.

I think so....He should've played & beat OU....would've Won 2001...2002 and very possibly 2003....The level of recruiting took a massive dive under Larry....also....assistants left UM as well...(Chuds...Johnson..etc)...To make matters worse...Kehoe and Soldinger are fired....ALL those guys were Butch hires....I know one thing......If Butch were to have stayed...we'd have more NCs than we do now....The number of kids we lost out on because of Clappy...Shannon and Golden...wouldn't of happened with Butch....
I guess we will never know the (what ifs). I really liked Butch a lot, and I do believe we would have extended our dominance for sure. Yes, big losses when we lost Kehoe and Solinger… btw... JJ hired Solinger in 84, and he was my homeroom teacher 71-72 at Coral Park SH. I used to catch Solinger for lunch at the 117 Ave. Chuck Wagon some years back.

With Soldinger 1998
CAM00137.jpg

No.......the U became the U under JJ....Howard started it......JJ took it to another level....

If you do not believe Howard getting into areas of the tricounty that created the U and became the basis of the U...ok, we differ. JJ unquestionably built on what Howard built. Equally unquestionable is the foundation. That was Howard.

Advertisement
Howard started it....but JJ made us The U...there's absolutely no denying that....Not only that....Defense...Offense...and even evaluations got better....Olividatti's Defense would have gotten Throttled from 84-85...

If you do not believe Howard getting into areas of the tricounty that created the U and became the basis of the U...ok, we differ. JJ unquestionably built on what Howard built. Equally unquestionable is the foundation. That was Howard.

So you guys agree. I’m with you both as well.

Advertisement
Really??.....He hired
Coker
Shiano
Shannon
Pagano
Chudzinski
Curtis Johnson
Soldinger (again)
Not too Shabby assistants....

Interesting, but I understood you to argue he had some sort of coaching eye for talent. As if he saw what others failed to see or had not seen. Like Hayden Fry. That’s an eye for coaching talent.

Opinions will differ, but I am not blown away by that list. Seems to me the “best” have proven to be Shiano and Pagano, with Sol already an established commodity.

Again, Butch for player talent evaluator, and thanks to him for bringing us back, but be realistic about what he was.

Interesting, but I understood you to argue he had some sort of coaching eye for talent. As if he saw what others failed to see or had not seen. Like Hayden Fry. That’s an eye for coaching talent.

Opinions will differ, but I am not blown away by that list. Seems to me the “best” have proven to be Shiano and Pagano, with Sol already an established commodity.

Again, Butch for player talent evaluator, and thanks to him for bringing us back, but be realistic about what he was.
Sorry....I disagree

To be perfectly Honest......It was Lou Saban who actually started it....it was HIS last class that got the ball rolling....unfortunately he never gets any credit.

Advertisement
Howard started it....but JJ made us The U...there's absolutely no denying that....Not only that....Defense...Offense...and even evaluations got better....Olividatti's Defense would have gotten Throttled from 84-85...
84,, Trout, ugh.
85,, Jett, much better.
Olividatti did well in 83, check out 1st half against Nebraska..

Advertisement
84,, Trout, ugh.
85,, Jett, much better.
Olividatti did well in 83, check out 1st half against Nebraska..
Stop it....I'm good friends with Tony Fitzpatrick....starting Nosetackle on that NC team.....Base was a 5-2.....Tony told me it was called Monster.....They switched to a 3-4 waayyy too often.....

Advertisement
Back