What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Butch Davis is a football God!

As soon as I saw the title of the thread, and that it had 3 replies, I figured @Cane Dynasty had to have at least 2 of them. Low and behold! Lol

Advertisement
So....that article took up quite a bit of space to say nothing, really.

It also presents an unlikely all or none - Butch leaves for the Browns then or Butch stays through today. I think it is likely that if Butch turns down the Browns we get him for no more than 1-3 more years. During that time he wins 1-2 more championships and then he is gone.

The fact is that the U became the U under Howard. And Howard set the tone. It is about hunger and dominance, period. You win at Miami (players and coaches) and then you go pro. That's the model. The "modern Miami" is not predicated on coaches who stay until retirement. Although that may change as that is what Richt says he wants.

Last edited:
I'm happy to have Richt but I do wish we hired Butch. No, not because I'm living in fantasy land but because I trust his ability to evaluate 3 star players and under the radar coaches. When Butch left things took a hit but when Coker fired the coaches he inherited from Butch the program com-busted and we're probably just now recovering. He did all this while he nor his staff was getting paid the big bucks.

Interesting perspective. Never thought about Butch as a coaching talent evaluator. I'd have to see examples of that.

But he was a fantastic athlete talent evaluator. FIU will show us whether or not he still has that gift.

Advertisement
I'm happy to have Richt but I do wish we hired Butch. No, not because I'm living in fantasy land but because I trust his ability to evaluate 3 star players and under the radar coaches. When Butch left things took a hit but when Coker fired the coaches he inherited from Butch the program com-busted and we're probably just now recovering. He did all this while he nor his staff was getting paid the big bucks.

Butch Davis Facts.

* Butch Davis's college record since leaving UM 20-28
* Butch Davis pro record 24-35
* Butch Davis firings 2
* Academic Scandals 1
* Improper Benefits Scandals 1
* Number of players suspended at UNC 15
* High Profile job offers since being fired from the NFL 0.

At some point maybe people will realize that maybe the all the coaches from his tree that went on to be way more successful than him were the ones who deserve the majority of the credit.

Butch was an incredible evaluator of talent, i believe he is not given enough credit for resurrecting the program.
if we would have stayed maybe 2-4 years and a couple of titles. He's still the only HC of "new Cleveland Browns" to get them in playoffs .... who knows how successful he would have been if QB Couch didn't blow out his arm.
N. Carolina he was thrown under the bus for the B Ball team and academic scandal started under D.Smith .He
took over a dumpster fire at FIU and took them to a bowl at 8-5.

Butch Davis Facts.

* Butch Davis's college record since leaving UM 20-28
* Butch Davis pro record 24-35
* Butch Davis firings 2
* Academic Scandals 1
* Improper Benefits Scandals 1
* Number of players suspended at UNC 15
* High Profile job offers since being fired from the NFL 0.

At some point maybe people will realize that maybe the all the coaches from his tree that went on to be way more successful than him were the ones who deserve the majority of the credit.

* Like 3 of his 5 years here were under harsh NCAA sanctions.
* He was with the Cleveland Browns and he was the last coach to get the Browns to the playoffs. That's gotta count for something.
* Again, it Cleveland. He got fired at UNC for a scandal that had nothing to do with him.
* That UNC scandal was happening long before Butch got there.
* I don't remember this so IDK.
* We've seen like 5 suspension and about 5 players kicked off the team in 3 years under Richt. Half of our 2016 recruiting class is gone. HALF.
* Again, Cleveland is where coaches and players a like go to die.

I'm not saying Butch is da Gawd I'm just saying what he did best, which was evaluating 3 star rated players, is what we need more then ever right now. He had an uncanny ability to detect future studs or major contributors despite them being low rated players even at UNC. UNC at one point was bumping out NFL players under Butch. UNC!

Advertisement
* Like 3 of his 5 years here were under harsh NCAA sanctions.
* He was with the Cleveland Browns and he was the last coach to get the Browns to the playoffs. That's gotta count for something.
* Again, it Cleveland. He got fired at UNC for a scandal that had nothing to do with him.
* That UNC scandal was happening long before Butch got there.
* I don't remember this so IDK.
* We've seen like 5 suspension and about 5 players kicked off the team in 3 years under Richt. Half of our 2016 recruiting class is gone. HALF.
* Again, Cleveland is where coaches and players a like go to die.

I'm not saying Butch is da Gawd I'm just saying what he did best, which was evaluating 3 star rated players, is what we need more then ever right now. He had an uncanny ability to detect future studs or major contributors despite them being low rated players even at UNC. UNC at one point was bumping out NFL players under Butch. UNC!

The Academic scandal may have had nothing to do with him, but the improper benefits definitely did. I'm talking 13 kids suspended in 1 season. Butch made his longtime friend and assistant coach take the fall for him and every AD around the country knows that's why he's unofficially blackballed from P5.

I don't want to burst your bubble but nearly every kid who got drafted out of UNC that Butch touched was already pretty highly ranked and none of them were 3 stars And guess what, 4 out of 6 of those kids were bought and paid for. (in bold)

Marvin Austin was A 5star
Robert Quinn 4 star

Quinten Coples 4 star
Giovanni Bernard 4 star
Quantavious Sturdivant 4 star
Greg Little 4 star

Butch's #1 mistake was leaving wasn't leaving UM for the Browns, it was leaving UM and not starting his own cult.

So....that article took up quite a bit of space to say nothing, really.

It also presents an unlikely all or none - Butch leaves for the Browns then or Butch stays through today. I think it is likely that if Butch turns down the Browns we get him for no more than 1-3 more years. During that time he wins 1-2 more championships and then he is gone.

The fact is that the U became the U under Howard. And Howard set the tone. It is about hunger and dominance, period. You win at Miami (players and coaches) and then you go pro. That's the model. The "modern Miami" is not predicated on coaches who stay until retirement. Although that may change as that is what Richt says he wants.
No.......the U became the U under JJ....Howard started it......JJ took it to another level....

Advertisement
Interesting perspective. Never thought about Butch as a coaching talent evaluator. I'd have to see examples of that.

But he was a fantastic athlete talent evaluator. FIU will show us whether or not he still has that gift.
Really??.....He hired
Coker
Shiano
Shannon
Pagano
Chudzinski
Curtis Johnson
Soldinger (again)
Not too Shabby assistants....

The Academic scandal may have had nothing to do with him, but the improper benefits definitely did. I'm talking 13 kids suspended in 1 season. Butch made his longtime friend and assistant coach take the fall for him and every AD around the country knows that's why he's unofficially blackballed from P5.

I don't want to burst your bubble but nearly every kid who got drafted out of UNC that Butch touched was already pretty highly ranked and none of them were 3 stars And guess what, 4 out of 6 of those kids were bought and paid for. (in bold)

Marvin Austin was A 5star
Robert Quinn 4 star

Quinten Coples 4 star
Giovanni Bernard 4 star
Quantavious Sturdivant 4 star
Greg Little 4 star

Butch's #1 mistake was leaving wasn't leaving UM for the Browns, it was leaving UM and not starting his own cult.
LoL....

he looked at Leonard Hamilton and said,'hold my beer'

His whole coaching legacy is altered if he would've just stayed a bit longer....

Would the U fans been faithfully loyal to Butch in the same way other programs were with the likes of Paterno, Bowden, Osborne, Beamer, Stoops, Snyder?

Advertisement
Back