What do you think about what Keontra Smith is saying here?

Advertisement
You don't think a kid has the right to wonder WTF is going on when he's got offers from Michigan, Bama, etc...but none from the school 30 minutes down the street?

One thing is. Miami has a harder time dropping a recruit than any out of state school imo.
That being said, I know a kid now that is committed to a school. His life long dream is the u. If they offer now he says he wouldn’t commit. It is what it is. Right and company can’t get them all.
For everyone they are wrong to slow play. There are 5 they get right on the slow play.

Coach Macho talks about all these elite kids that we have slow played as if there’s a bunch.

Who are these kids, other than Battle, supposedly.

If you’re going to throw that out there, I’d like to know who it is and how you know. One or two kids or coaches saying this, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true or happening all over the place.

Also, it’s already been said about 1000 times in this thread, but the risk reward profile is a lot different for Miami with local recruits than it is for out-of-state schools. We have way more to lose if we have to dump a local recruit who doesn’t pan out. The OOS schools can throw out tons of non-committable offers with little to no repercussions, where we get crucified locally.

What’s so hard to understand about that?

Why do you guys think Miami is late to the party?
Think part of it is they would rather be late than having to ditch all of these recruits that aren’t panning out. Look at how many recruits they have had to break off contact with. Top me it’s a much worse look to offer someone to early and dump them later....

Advertisement
It seems like offering late isn’t the only type of slow playing the staff is doing tho . Don’t we keep hearing how contact has fell off or it’s been in and out , from recruits recently ? Wtf is going on for real . This philosophy of offering guys and then putting all our efforts into the top target while slow playing the others (Stevenson/Battle and MJJ/no other QB) is clearly not working . Go back to the drawing board with that sht. Then you hire yet ANOTHER green guy in Patke when we clearly need some help on defensive recruiting

I (we) have heard rumors about our coaches slow-playing DB recruits.

I have no solid opinion about this issue yet...
But what do yall think about what Keontra Smith says in this video? (starting @ 5:00)

"I wasn't really waitin on it.....well yeah I was waitin on it."

Just playing devil's advocate.
You think a kid that wasn't even alive the last time we were dominant is going to look at a late UM offer as a "reward" when he already has offers from Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc?

I don't think so.

that depends. If he wants it then, yes. If he could care less, no. Rewards kind of work that way. And I don't think time really plays that much into it. Kids that want to play here know our history already.

It seems like offering late isn’t the only type of slow playing the staff is doing tho . Don’t we keep hearing how contact has fell off or it’s been in and out , from recruits recently ? Wtf is going on for real . This philosophy of offering guys and then putting all our efforts into the top target while slow playing the others (Stevenson/Battle and MJJ/no other QB) is clearly not working . Go back to the drawing board with that sht. Then you hire yet ANOTHER green guy in Patke when we clearly need some help on defensive recruiting
See I think this thought is the reason why these things happen.

We DO offer kids early, but then they change after their freshmen and sophomore years. We offer guys like Sitz, Sanguinetti, Fuller, Burns, Diamante Howard etc mad early and then they fall off.

Or we offer players and they just got bought from OOS schools. For the record I never hear them say they got slow played.

As far as some kids not getting early offers, if you don't stand out why should you get an offer at that point? Because you're a fan. Because you show up. It doesn't work like that. It can't. I'm sure there are alot of players that would commit early if offered, and have tbh, don't develop, and then get "slow played" as commits because they stop growing, or don't get faster, don't have the grades, etc. It's one thing to look solely at one side but it's not a one way street.

Advertisement
Coach Macho talks about all these elite kids that we have slow played as if there’s a bunch.

If you’re going to throw that out there, I’d like to know who it is and how you know. One or two kids or coaches saying this, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true or happening all over the place.

Also, it’s already been said about 1000 times in this thread, but the risk reward profile is a lot different for Miami with local recruits than it is for out-of-state schools. We have way more to lose if we have to dump a local recruit who doesn’t pan out. The OOS schools can throw out tons of non-committable offers with little to no repercussions, where we get crucified locally.

Kelee Ringo & Taisun who Brooklyn brought to the boards attention.

Precisely... I really like Keontra but we offered I think 9 days after Bama? He was a Kentucky Commit for a reason, he did not have top tier offers and committed to Kentucky, he was a late bloomer and received his offer when he bloomed. We would have to offer every kid in Dade as a Freshman to not "slow play" some kid who grows into a stud. Also, not like we offered him his senior year of HS, pretty sure he was still a junior.

See I think this thought is the reason why these things happen.

We DO offer kids early, but then they change after their freshmen and sophomore years. We offer guys like Sitz, Sanguinetti, Fuller, Burns, Diamante Howard etc mad early and then they fall off.

Or we offer players and they just got bought from OOS schools. For the record I never hear them say they got slow played.

As far as some kids not getting early offers, if you don't stand out why should you get an offer at that point? Because you're a fan. Because you show up. It doesn't work like that. It can't. I'm sure there are alot of players that would commit early if offered, and have tbh, don't develop, and then get "slow played" as commits because they stop growing, or don't get faster, don't have the grades, etc. It's one thing to look solely at one side but it's not a one way street.
There were multiple interviews on here in the past month of recruits saying contact with the staff fell off

Advertisement
Kelee Ringo & Taisun who Brooklyn brought to the boards attention.

You’re way off.

Neither of those guys is local, and Taisun they didn’t consider elite and don’t want. These weren’t the type players under discussion. Don’t know Ringo’s status, haven’t heard any talk about him with us.

That doesn’t answer the question at all.

Isn't Ringo class of '20 and I dont think they ever offered Tai... That is the ultimate slow play if he never gets offered.

I also remember Stevenson had offers from everyone yet we still hadn't offered.

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

I also remember Stevenson had offers from everyone yet we still hadn't offered.

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

I am going off 247 so TIFWIW but UF and UCF offered him March of '17 and he committed to UF in April, then we offered him Sept 2017 while he was committed to UF. Clemson, South Carolina, LSU Tenn, Oklahoma, Penn State, Mich, Neb all offered after us.

Advertisement
Can’t count the first two, so only Stevenson so far. Who else. Assuming what you’re saying about Stevenson is even correct.
Ivins was saying all summer how Miami should have given him an offer prior to them doing it.

I'm not the one saying there is a running list. I was just pointing out a few that we can categorize in the "the staff should definitely offer him given their talent & interest in the program"

Just refer to @Liberty City El for your answers to these “slow play” claims.

Sure there might be one or two that with the benefit of hindsight we could have maybe offered earlier, but I’m not seeing some huge trend here.

Not to say that any strategy shouldn’t be recalibrated. Any well run organization looks at its tactics and evaluates them. As I’m sure we do.

Ivins was saying all summer how Miami should have given him an offer prior to them doing it.

I'm not the one saying there is a running list. I was just pointing out a few that we can categorize in the "the staff should definitely offer him given their talent & interest in the program"

Only one can even be considered in your thesis there, and according to 247, we were the first P5 to offer him after UFailure - so how is that even a legit slowplay. He should sign with Florida then, right?

Advertisement
Back