What do you think about what Keontra Smith is saying here?

Advertisement
Bama is the only program that can get away with offering a kid at halftime during their last game senior year and kids get all ******* excited. We have to offer the moment they pop out of the womb or we “slow played” them.

If you haven't offered the parents before the end of their first date, you're already too late.

Recruiting process has just been accelerated. Since when is offering a prospect before their junior year is over too late? They should change recruiting to where you can’t verbally offer kids until the Start of their junior year

If that’s the respectful way to say goodbye, than great. I just want a plan that’s consistent across all positions and coaches. There’s obviously something lacking on the execution side, if there is a structured plan.

I don't think that's possible or even desirable. Coaches have different personalities, so things can be affected by who the kid's main recruiter is. And kids have personalities, different amounts of pull with their peers, come from different programs, so you might have to treat them differently at times.

Advertisement
The biggest decision you've ever had to make is whether to put regular or premium in your Scion.

You're a biased fan who has no idea what this process is like for a big time recruit. Most of these kids are making business decisions and are not die-hard fans.

This idea that picking a school is one of the biggest decisions in life is one of the more over hyped and overstated beliefs coming out this mfkr... deciding whether or not to try drugs for the 1st time when you get to college is a much bigger decision. Pick a school, life goes on.. the end.

When are some of you guys gonna realize that today's youth don't put the same value in UM that we do?

People on this board constantly talk as if Miami is held in some high regard around South Florida. A Miami offer is only as valuable as our ranking. The offer becomes valuable when we win. Why do you think these kids consider a Bama/Clemson/Georgia offer "valuable" right now? Or an "achievement".

If you're expecting to ONLY sign guys that love UM, then get used to being terrible on the field. It doesn't work like that. You have to MAKE kids love UM.

You guys do realize that loyalty and "love for the home team" is something that's going by the wayside, right? This generation gives zero fvcks about that. They put value in whatever's "hot" at the time.

OK, I don't understand your post at all.

Is your complaint that Miami doesn't give offers fast enough to local kids with "love for the home team"?

Or are you saying local kids DON'T have "love for the home team" because Miami is not "hot"?

With the exception of Alabama, every other school has had ups and downs over the past decade (going back to a recruit's age of eight).

A UF offer still means something. A Michigan offer still means something. An Auburn offer means something.

Richt has been doing everything humanly possible in the SoFla area to invest in kids from a very young age. That should be paying big dividends in the near future.

In the meantime, he is also doing everything humanly possible to make Miami "hot" among recruits.

So answer this...for the past two years, Richt has improved on the current year's record (first year better than Golden's final year, second year better than Richt's first year). We have no off-field scandals/arrests. We have an IPF that is almost ready to open. Our record continues to improve. Our draft results continue to improve. We finished in the Top 10 in the country. We are starting this year in the Top 10 in the country.

And over and over and over again, SoFla kids find some shiny new penny (Taggart! Mullet!) and entrust their futures to programs with a lot less TANGIBLE to show than what Richt can show.

So, yeah, I'm not putting all the blame on Miami. Some of this has got to be on the kids. No program is perfect. Florida has burned through coaches since Urban Liar, and would probably be characterized as the OPPOSITE of "hot" (FAU is hotter), yet kids with Miami offers still get their heads turned by a UF offer.

Sorry, but if SoFla kids can't hold a Miami offer in high regard, that's on them. The facts would indicate the exact opposite (with the exception of Alabama and/or Georgia and/or Clemson offers).

When are some of you guys gonna realize that today's youth don't put the same value in UM that we do?

People on this board constantly talk as if Miami is held in some high regard around South Florida. A Miami offer is only as valuable as our ranking. The offer becomes valuable when we win. Why do you think these kids consider a Bama/Clemson/Georgia offer "valuable" right now? Or an "achievement".

If you're expecting to ONLY sign guys that love UM, then get used to being terrible on the field. It doesn't work like that. You have to MAKE kids love UM.

You guys do realize that loyalty and "love for the home team" is something that's going by the wayside, right? This generation gives zero fvcks about that. They put value in whatever's "hot" at the time.

I hear you loud and clear, Macho. Not arguing your point one bit. But the way we circumvent that is by winnning. We have to win otherwise we only attract the diehards, and in S. Florida that concept is fleeting at best. And we all know the mercenary mentality that exists.

But I'm just not for tossing out UM schollies left and right like Golden did. Unless the kid is an absolute, no-brainer beast, I don't like offering 9th and 10th graders.

There's got to be a middle ground between being selective and maintaining the value of a UM scholly versus tossing schollies around like Now & Laters.

Advertisement
This idea that picking a school is one of the biggest decisions in life is one of the more over hyped and overstated beliefs coming out this mfkr... deciding whether or not to try drugs for the 1st time when you get to college is a much bigger decision. Pick a school, life goes on.. the end.

Wow! I know alot of players playing on CFL teams right now that would disagree. Your entitled to your opinion tho. God bless!

Go Canes

I see people saying that we can't just hand out offers...

Why the **** not? (if the kids are elite)

Why can't we push for Stevenson and Battle equally and let them know that their spot is up for grabs? That's what other schools do. I had a kid lose his Oklahoma spot cause he waited too long to commit. That's how it goes.

While we're taking time to "further evaluate" kids, the other schools are making ground.
You can only treat a chick like an FWB so long before she gets tired of that **** and commits to the guys who's actually courting her.
Man I totally agree with you and I’m seeing nothing but excuses being made in this thread.

OK, I don't understand your post at all.

Is your complaint that Miami doesn't give offers fast enough to local kids with "love for the home team"?

Or are you saying local kids DON'T have "love for the home team" because Miami is not "hot"?

With the exception of Alabama, every other school has had ups and downs over the past decade (going back to a recruit's age of eight).

A UF offer still means something. A Michigan offer still means something. An Auburn offer means something.

Richt has been doing everything humanly possible in the SoFla area to invest in kids from a very young age. That should be paying big dividends in the near future.

In the meantime, he is also doing everything humanly possible to make Miami "hot" among recruits.

So answer this...for the past two years, Richt has improved on the current year's record (first year better than Golden's final year, second year better than Richt's first year). We have no off-field scandals/arrests. We have an IPF that is almost ready to open. Our record continues to improve. Our draft results continue to improve. We finished in the Top 10 in the country. We are starting this year in the Top 10 in the country.

And over and over and over again, SoFla kids find some shiny new penny (Taggart! Mullet!) and entrust their futures to programs with a lot less TANGIBLE to show than what Richt can show.

So, yeah, I'm not putting all the blame on Miami. Some of this has got to be on the kids. No program is perfect. Florida has burned through coaches since Urban Liar, and would probably be characterized as the OPPOSITE of "hot" (FAU is hotter), yet kids with Miami offers still get their heads turned by a UF offer.

Sorry, but if SoFla kids can't hold a Miami offer in high regard, that's on them. The facts would indicate the exact opposite (with the exception of Alabama and/or Georgia and/or Clemson offers).

I was replying to the people who think that a Miami offer is this great, shiny, magical gift from the gods...and kids should immediately ignore any school that's been recruiting them months prior once that UM offer comes. To some kids, that's exactly what a Miami offer is. (that's how it was for Feliciano) But to a vast majority of kids, a Miami offer isn't special enough to make-up ground versus a big-time school that's already been treating the kid like a priority for months.
That perception will change as we begin to win more, but right now we're not good enough to slow-play elite kids and act like they'd be lucky to receive our offer.

I must admit as a diehard Cane fan, it was interesting to watch this video, see how a top recruit feels, even his quote about the stupid basketball court that Clemson has, that was a blinking light that attracted Keontra. He mention that Bama had offered prior to us, shows the mentality of these top dogs, they clearly want to feel respected/wanted.

Advertisement
This is what happens though all local schools offer later rhen they will with OOS kids. Now UM offers when they really really mean it and wont just ler you go when the next star wants in. Now i get why kids get a little upset but coaches need to tell them how it is and just be patient because they dont offer last minute or even during your season so just wait its all a process

I was replying to the people who think that a Miami offer is this great, shiny, magical gift from the gods...and kids should immediately ignore any school that's been recruiting them months prior once that UM offer comes. To some kids, that's exactly what a Miami offer is. (that's how it was for Feliciano) But to a vast majority of kids, a Miami offer isn't special enough to make-up ground versus a big-time school that's already been treating the kid like a priority for months.
That perception will change as we begin to win more, but right now we're not good enough to slow-play elite kids and act like they'd be lucky to receive our offer.

A Miami offer is a gift from God... and i dont care what a kid should do, Keontra Smith would be another guy that I wouldnt even remember his name if he committed to another school is the point i'm making. I dont follow recruits for life, if ur not a Hurricane at the end of the day you dont exist to me, and that's regardless if Miami offered them or not.

You don't think a kid has the right to wonder WTF is going on when he's got offers from Michigan, Bama, etc...but none from the school 30 minutes down the street?
What good is an early Bama offer if you can't commit?

You **** sure can't tell me. He was going to go to UK. If he could commit to Bama, Auburn, OU or PSU.

We can offer everyone under the sun too, but if we aren't going to let them commit to said offer. What is the point?

Advertisement
I hear you loud and clear, Macho. Not arguing your point one bit. But the way we circumvent that is by winnning. We have to win otherwise we only attract the diehards, and in S. Florida that concept is fleeting at best. And we all know the mercenary mentality that exists.

But I'm just not for tossing out UM schollies left and right like Golden did. Unless the kid is an absolute, no-brainer beast, I don't like offering 9th and 10th graders.

There's got to be a middle ground between being selective and maintaining the value of a UM scholly versus tossing schollies around like Now & Laters.

Agree. Not saying we should be *****'ing out offers. I just think maybe we should be equally attentive to (example) Stevensons and Battles.

Looking up the timeline he was offered in February of his junior year. Has not even started his senior year or might be a couple days into it. Looks like it was 10 days after Alabama offer.

I am assuming if he got an offer they were probably in contact with him a while before? How long were Miami coaches talking to him and keeping up with him compared to Alabama or Michigan? Did Alabama or Michigan just send out an offer and never really talked before?

These are more for a general statement and not necessarily this situation.

You bring up a dating parallel. Are these other teams just sending out marriage proposals in the mail without ever even making a phone call much less a date? Though its 500 marriage proposals they are sending out. Do they just send them out and the ones that say yes then they start to call up on the phone and actually start deciding then if they want to keep going on or ask for the ring back?

What good is an early Bama offer if you can't commit?

You **** sure can't tell me. He was going to go to UK. If he could commit to Bama, Auburn, OU or PSU.

We can offer everyone under the sun too, but if we aren't going to let them commit to said offer. What is the point?

Not saying we should offer kids that can't play here or commit? (or commit)
I'm talking about not slow-playing kids like Battle while having all of our chips on Stevenson.
Or taking too long to figure out whether a kid is worthy of playing here or not.

Looking up the timeline he was offered in February of his junior year. Has not even started his senior year or might be a couple days into it. Looks like it was 10 days after Alabama offer.

I am assuming if he got an offer they were probably in contact with him a while before? How long were Miami coaches talking to him and keeping up with him compared to Alabama or Michigan? Did Alabama or Michigan just send out an offer and never really talked before?

These are more for a general statement and not necessarily this situation.

You bring up a dating parallel. Are these other teams just sending out marriage proposals in the mail without ever even making a phone call much less a date? Though its 500 marriage proposals they are sending out. Do they just send them out and the ones that say yes then they start to call up on the phone and actually start deciding then if they want to keep going on or ask for the ring back?

I don't know man.
I know the perception with local kids is that Miami slow-plays too much.

Advertisement
Back