What do you think about what Keontra Smith is saying here?

Those schools come down to FL and toss around offers like lollipops at a *** parade.

Advertisement
Miami just needs to explain things to these kids. That simple. Be real. If you didn't offer cause you wanted to further evaluate then do that. Also explain why these oos schools throw offers out to oos kids and what not.

Reality is Miami could toss out offers while still evaluating a kid like other schools do. Just be real.

Advertisement
If Miami offers a kid early and he doesn't pan out you will never hear the end of it. UGA or Alabama does its business as usual. I think in some cases they are being too selective with the offer but it may be certain traits they look for in recruits. I can't argue with the results up to this point.

CMR has made the UM offer great again. Hence why we are top 5 in least offered scholarships in CFB. I think this is the only reason. Only the Worthy fellas. Only the worthy.

I think it’s pretty clear the coaches have been trying to build value with our offers. They want it to mean something when you get that UM offer. That’s why we don’t send out 300+ offers like UF and FSU. We are far more selective. Every school in the country wants to build a pipeline down here as well. So they offer everyone in hopes that they can get their foot in the door somewhere. Even if it’s a marginal prospect, having some south Florida blood on your roster will help next cycle. We already have a lot of the relationships in place with these high schools and coaches down here. Other schools can’t ignore south Florida talent because we can’t possibly keep them all home. But in the same breath, we can’t ignore the rest of the country’s talent just because we have a wealth of it in our backyard. There has to be balance. I just wish kids would stop taking offense as to when they receive the offer, and instead looked at it as a reward that they received the offer at all.

Just playing devil's advocate.
You think a kid that wasn't even alive the last time we were dominant is going to look at a late UM offer as a "reward" when he already has offers from Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc?

I don't think so.

It's a shame. Not sure why our evaluations take longer than a bama or Michigan evaluation. We shouldn't be pushing California kids to just visit when there's talented players just down the street. To me, its alot harder to keep an OOS commit than someone who lives an hour away from campus and can drive down and visit anytime.

It's not a good luck that UM is getting a rep for 'recruiting players from up north' when top schools are looking here first. Michigan/OSU/Bama/UGA should never beat up to a kid. Especially kids from a big time school like STA. Some of these schools send out 200+ scholarships and work back from that. Yet, we recruit one QB at a time for the entire recruiting cycle.

Simply put, it's our backyard! And FL produces quality players every year, especially at DB,LB,DL,WR, and RB. I wouldn't leave the state for those positions. It's sad to hear that this is the perception from a kid that's 1000% committed to UM.

Advertisement
who cares... Miami could offer me on NSD at the final hour and I'm signing with them idgaf what school offered me 1st in the 8th grade, **** is dumb. Commit somewhere else if you're offended, on to the next

Out of state teams can offer the usual suspects quickly bc they've already secured enough commitments from their primary recruiting base and can just go on 247sports to pre-select the couple of obvious top guys to try to pluck from SFL afterwards.

Miami is in a different position... we have to look at every south florida player at every position and just bc a player got the hype bc of his sophomore or junior season doesn't mean that a player like Jordan Miller or Rousseau, or Garvin isnt better than majority of the guys being branded 5 stars bc of some **** they did as sophomores.

I see people saying that we can't just hand out offers...

Why the **** not? (if the kids are elite)

Why can't we push for Stevenson and Battle equally and let them know that their spot is up for grabs? That's what other schools do. I had a kid lose his Oklahoma spot cause he waited too long to commit. That's how it goes.

While we're taking time to "further evaluate" kids, the other schools are making ground.
You can only treat a chick like an FWB so long before she gets tired of that **** and commits to the guys who's actually courting her.

Just playing devil's advocate.
You think a kid that wasn't even alive the last time we were dominant is going to look at a late UM offer as a "reward" when he already has offers from Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc?

I don't think so.
Michigan? That’s even further back under the “dominance” category

Only 3 teams should get the benefit of the doubt late bama, OSU, Clemson because they’ve won and consistently get kids to the NFL I’m realistic... but when I see crap teams like ole miss, tenn, etc getting nods even late it’s pretty funny

Advertisement
who cares... Miami could offer me on NSD at the final hour and I'm signing with them idgaf what school offered me 1st in the 8th grade, **** is dumb. Commit somewhere else if you're offended, on to the next

The biggest decision you've ever had to make is whether to put regular or premium in your Scion.

You're a biased fan who has no idea what this process is like for a big time recruit. Most of these kids are making business decisions and are not die-hard fans.

Michigan? That’s even further back under the “dominance” category

Only 3 teams should get the benefit of the doubt late bama, OSU, Clemson because they’ve won and consistently get kids to the NFL I’m realistic... but when I see crap teams like ole miss, tenn, etc getting nods even late it’s pretty funny

I just threw Michigan out there, bro. Not that serious.

Why can't we push for Stevenson and Battle equally and let them know that their spot is up for grabs? That's what other schools. I had a kid lose his Oklahoma spot cause he waited too long to commit. That's how it goes.

While we're taking time to "further evaluate" kids, the other schools are making ground.
You can only treat a chick like an FWB so long before she gets tired of that **** and commits to the guys who's actually courting her.

I agree with some of this. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Not to keep bringing this up but it was idiotic to recruit 1 QB. You find 5-6 guys at a position that can fit your culture and scheme. Let's be honest the only real positions we are hearing this is DB and QB. What does that say about this?

Advertisement

Why can't we push for Stevenson and Battle equally and let them know that their spot is up for grabs? That's what other schools do. I had a kid lose his Oklahoma spot cause he waited too long to commit. That's how it goes.

The kid that lost his spot....was the kid who took it rated higher ?

Also let's just say this .....let's say Miami throws out a bunch of offers early in the process, kids commit and then the player doesn't turn out to be what he was , so then we drop him or slow play him at the end now we get blowback from South Florida coaching staff's or we end up going after higher rated prospects we like better and have to cut ties with a kid whose been committed for 2 years. SFla coaches would be up in arms about that ....that's why I always believe Miami is in a no-win situation

Last edited:
When are some of you guys gonna realize that today's youth don't put the same value in UM that we do?

People on this board constantly talk as if Miami is held in some high regard around South Florida. A Miami offer is only as valuable as our ranking. The offer becomes valuable when we win. Why do you think these kids consider a Bama/Clemson/Georgia offer "valuable" right now? Or an "achievement".

If you're expecting to ONLY sign guys that love UM, then get used to being terrible on the field. It doesn't work like that. You have to MAKE kids love UM.

You guys do realize that loyalty and "love for the home team" is something that's going by the wayside, right? This generation gives zero fvcks about that. They put value in whatever's "hot" at the time.

You don't think a kid has the right to wonder WTF is going on when he's got offers from Michigan, Bama, etc...but none from the school 30 minutes down the street?

I think you are missing an important factor, though. Michigan and Alabama can offer a Florida kid risk-free. On the upside, it makes U-M and Bama look like heroes simply because they have big names, and it makes a kid feel like "hey, some school 2,000 miles away is aware of me". On the downside, no SoFla coaches threaten to ban Saban or Harbaugh from coming to their schools if and when those programs slow-play and/or drop a SoFla kid.

But, lord almighty, if Miami isn't attentive enough, we get blasted by the SoFla players and coaches alike. And let's not forget how many of the top SoFla players (over the past decade) have kept Miami waiting, put our hats on the tables, and then picked other schools.

I don't think Miami is "late to the party". I understand kids "wondering WTF is going on", but someone needs to teach these kids some context so that they can understand the process better.

And let's not forget, Miami's greatest strength (the SoFla talent pool) becomes a double-edged sword when we have more than enough "Miami-caliber" players than scholarship slots to offer. Every kid wants a "committable offer", and then we ignore the fact that many of them want to build suspense for ESPN and National Signing Day.

Advertisement
Back