what did UM expect with Richt?

With our talent . I expect to compete and win the coastal on a regular basis. There’s going to be a upset now and then but, losing to the teams we’ve been losing to is not acceptable.
We have talent but I don’t see the talent getting better. Florida high school football is the best in the country so I expect that to Cary to the next level.

Advertisement
They were hoping the old adage " one man's trash is another man's treasure" would come true here....

the old old adage that came true was " if it looks like a duck,walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..then it must be a duck....only substitute burnt out coach for duck.

you must have been in diapers when butch was here. he had about the same winning % at um as a first time coach who could barely field a two depth as richt did at UGA. i dont get the hate for the guy. he saved the program and changed the face of the NFL for a generation. maybe he wasnt the right choice this time around but he deserves our respect.

@Dwinstitles "rings collect dust" v "i'll win a NC within 4 years"?lol

I don't think anyone hates Butch, but rational fans are fed up with the ignorant fans who deify him. I started playing football around the time Butch was hired. He's a competent coach who did a good job identifying and recruiting talent at a time when the recruiting climate was much more favorable to Miami. Butch can put together a competent staff but I don't think even his most ardent worshippers would say he gives his teams a schematic advantage. I've rewatched old Miami games and noted how vanilla the defensive scheme was. I do think the West Coast offense was better than most give him credit for and QB play limited its execution. That was the offense of that generation and there were some inventive play designs outside of the usual rote inside zone and slant-flat calls.

It's fair to question whether his impact would translate almost 20 years later. Since he was kicked out of UNC he consulted an awful Tampa Bay team and elevated an FIU team to a few more wins per season than usual - but not the absolute success that the BBB crowd assures us he would bring. Recruiting isn't the low-hanging fruit that it once was with the increased competition from out-of-state schools. The game is evolving schematically at an exponentially faster rate so an aging CEO type isn't the ideal candidate to remain on the cutting edge of trends. Being wistful for Butch is a misplaced desire for football to return to simpler times but that's not reality. Would Butch be a marginal upgrade over Richt? Probably because he - like almost anyone - would put together a better offensive staff, but Miami should be aiming for a higher ceiling than what Butch could provide.

Advertisement
I don't think anyone hates Butch, but rational fans are fed up with the ignorant fans who deify him. I started playing football around the time Butch was hired. He's a competent coach who did a good job identifying and recruiting talent at a time when the recruiting climate was much more favorable to Miami. Butch can put together a competent staff but I don't think even his most ardent worshippers would say he gives his teams a schematic advantage. I've rewatched old Miami games and noted how vanilla the defensive scheme was. I do think the West Coast offense was better than most give him credit for and QB play limited its execution. That was the offense of that generation and there were some inventive play designs outside of the usual rote inside zone and slant-flat calls.

It's fair to question whether his impact would translate almost 20 years later. Since he was kicked out of UNC he consulted an awful Tampa Bay team and elevated an FIU team to a few more wins per season than usual - but not the absolute success that the BBB crowd assures us he would bring. Recruiting isn't the low-hanging fruit that it once was with the increased competition from out-of-state schools. The game is evolving schematically at an exponentially faster rate so an aging CEO type isn't the ideal candidate to remain on the cutting edge of trends. Being wistful for Butch is a misplaced desire for football to return to simpler times but that's not reality. Would Butch be a marginal upgrade over Richt? Probably because he - like almost anyone - would put together a better offensive staff, but Miami should be aiming for a higher ceiling than what Butch could provide.
ill be honest. the year we los to VT, east carolina and FSU. i wanted him out. i remember the leads we blew those years but in college its about loading up on talent. saban isnt running crazy schemes. i've never said butch was a strategic genius.
another thing to keep in mind was at espn he was traveling the country talking to the best coaches and learning the changes to the game.

For those of you that said that we were a year early last year in going 10-0 and winning the Coastal in the Richt regime...WTF happened this year?!? If we were a year early, then that denotes we should have kicked *** this season...not look like Mierda

Where were you when we were 10-0 and ranked #2? 1 bad season and all the rats are jumping off the ship. We got some gutless *** fans.
U have to have consistency in a program like the U. One slip up is a momentum killer for recruiting. Recruits are not believing the staff no more the bleeding is to much. Its over where do u guys not see it?

I almost feel bad for some of the fans like u i genuinely am starting to feel yall pain. Blind loyalty

read my reaction to his hiring on this board. i never wanted him
I wasnt super excited either but gave him a chance

Red flags were there in recruiting all three cycles and red flags were there with losing streaks. LSU was the cat out of the bag......the went on social media said fuq THE U and we proceeded to get fuqed

Advertisement
The man was clearly burned out at UGA plus he never had a rep for being a savage which is what you need here to win.
The man was rewarded with $4mil a year and jobs for his wife and son immediately after being fired from UGA. Why would
he change? in his mind it wasnt his fault. In contrast, Manny Diaz got fired from Texas and had to work at La Tech and Miss St.
he had to rehab his rep and learn to adjust. Anyone could have seen this coming. if we wanted an older coach, Butch was the guy.
If we wanted an younger HC, I felt Mark Stoops would have been the guy. Either way, richt pretended he was hiring an OC and
now we are screwed by his stall tactics.
With a dam fist full of dollars is to WIN!

Where were you when we were 10-0 and ranked #2? 1 bad season and all the rats are jumping off the ship. We got some gutless *** fans.

Seriously.

Same fans that were all up in that thread on here early September after the loss to LSU—questioning Diaz and talking about how Manny needed to go. This fan base has lost its collective mind. 15 years of irrelevancy is really taking its toll—but nowhere more than in one's desire to be 'back' and talking about where there THINK the Canes should be, opposed to accepting the present reality and what is.

Advertisement
Exactly what they've gotten thus far.

Somebody who can at least win the Coastal consistently, run a clean program, and not be terrible.

UM is perfectly fine being a very good team. They have no aspirations to be great. They can live with 7-5.
He hasn’t won the coastal consistently, so maybe There’s a chance?

Ugh, that's bull****. I need to see an actual link? Because our offense looked garbage against FSU and GT. There's no way we were in the top 25.
Yes it’s complete BS.

I’m not sure where he got the numbers from, but I am sure anybody can sift thru the ton of meaningless stats kept today and find something to support about about anything.

Advertisement
my how time fly's, how long you been here ? I'd say the drop started for good around 05, thats 13 years but beside the point. I like your enthusiasm, you must be young, no pun, but i go back to 84 and from then to 05, not counting Butch's first few years of probation, we would roll the F outta that sked, humiliating most of them. But to your point, Mork has lost many times the last two years with waaaay better talent than his opponent, and there is no excuse for that, happened at UGA the same way. So, we will see what happens, looks like we MAY play 1 team with our talent, Ufag, who will prolly kick our ***, other than that its a joke and Mork should look like a coaching god with that lame ****, but it's Mork, so we'll see
@Go Canes!! is quite old actually.

you must have been in diapers when butch was here. he had about the same winning % at um as a first time coach who could barely field a two depth as richt did at UGA. i dont get the hate for the guy. he saved the program and changed the face of the NFL for a generation. maybe he wasnt the right choice this time around but he deserves our respect.

@Dwinstitles "rings collect dust" v "i'll win a NC within 4 years"?lol

He also consistently and publicly lied about interviewing for other jobs before taking one.

If you think a person who lies to your face deserves your respect, I'd imagine you don't have much of a backbone.

Advertisement
Back