Wesley Bissainthe: Will he be ready?

Advertisement
That's a lot to ask, Spence was a killer, especially as a true FR, but I actually agree & think Wes will be special. He's a utility knife that can be moved around so much, Steele will use him like the James Williams of the front seven. I'm pretty sure he was talking about him when he said "one of our guys is going to be a great one (Jack/WLB) but he's built like a pencil right now", which I talked about in another thread.

I like Steed, Chase & Smith (though I still see him as more of a DB), but I don't see any of them as having the star potential of Bissainthe, who can literally do it all. Fingers crossed that he can contribute big this season like I said in the OP. There's plenty of time for him to pack on weight and muscle & learn Steele's D. I saw him say he was 205 a few months back.
He was talking about Cyrus Moss...

I agree, I was searching for hitters and as usual ROHAN booom pops up in my mind.

Rohan was just plain DEADLY beyond thought 🙌🙌🙌🙌.

Thanks for reeling me in.
Don't get me wrong...Sean would tattoo you...but not like Rohan, Nate or Rod Carter would...People forget how Hard Carter could hit...he was the hardest hitting Cane on the 88 and 89 UM teams...at only 6'1 235lbs...(just a hair taller than Nate)

I had the privilege years ago bumping into Rohan and he was totally opposite of his hitting.
You would NEVER have DREAMED he played any football till it comes THEN THE EYES 👀 tells EVERYTHING this dude will knock you OUT hitting him back would be LAUGHABLE

Ray Lewis: Rohan scares me on game day

GOCANES

Advertisement
I'm just not seeing the Spence comparisons with this kid.

Yes Spence was only 200#s as a freshman, but He was more stoutly built, and He had better instincts.

Bissainthe's frame & the way He moves reminds me more of Matthew Thomas, although Matthew was a lil' taller.
Still remember Thomas supposedly telling Barrow he was coming - just before signing day. Uugh - pure speculation but what could have been.

That's a lot to ask, Spence was a killer, especially as a true FR, but I actually agree & think Wes will be special. He's a utility knife that can be moved around so much, Steele will use him like the James Williams of the front seven. I'm pretty sure he was talking about him when he said "one of our guys is going to be a great one (Jack/WLB) but he's built like a pencil right now", which I talked about in another thread.

I like Steed, Chase & Smith (though I still see him as more of a DB), but I don't see any of them as having the star potential of Bissainthe, who can literally do it all. Fingers crossed that he can contribute big this season like I said in the OP. There's plenty of time for him to pack on weight and muscle & learn Steele's D. I saw him say he was 205 a few months back.

He was talking about Moss, Wes ain’t coming to Miami to play the Jack position..that’s where you put your pass rushers

He was talking about Moss, Wes ain’t coming to Miami to play the Jack position..that’s where you put your pass rushers
It could've been Moss, though I didn't think he was talking about someone playing on the line. But Wes is a thinner OLB who's good coming downhill, where exactly do you expect him to line up? I see a WLB/Will/Jack.

It could've been Moss, though I didn't think he was talking about someone playing on the line. But Wes is a thinner OLB who's good coming downhill, where exactly do you expect him to line up? I see a WLB/Will/Jack.

This is where terminology can get finnicky. You can still have a Mike/Will with a "Jack" position. I see it as an Over front where the Jack and Sam linebacker would be synonymous, difference in an Over front is you have 5 on the line. A "Jack" LB in a 4-2-5 allows us to be versatile on 1st and 2nd downs and multiple blitz packages, etc. In terms of skillset Wes identifies more as a traditional "Will" LB where Moss with his skillset would be played as the "Jack" in this scheme.

If we are playing a 4-2-5 the Jack is versatile enough to play down on the line or in space, like a jack of all trades. Moss and Wes are both built like pencils but Moss is built like a 3-4 OLB and has that pass rush ability. Wes is your typical Will backer who I believe will see some time at Mike as well.

Advertisement
The difference between Bisanthe and Spence is purely build. Spence was limited. He’d never be able to maintain 230 on his frame. Bisanthe has the build to play at 235-240. I honestly believe he’ll be out starting MLB by the end of the year.

I've been among the loudest critics of our LB play. But I 100% believe that Steed, Keontra and Chase will not only be adequate but will be quality OLBs. So if we do get an MLB portal transfer, I don't think Bissainthe will be needed and will only be slowly brought along. If we don't have portal success, and we're expecting these guys plus Cave to handle both LB positions, then, yeah, I expect Bissainthe to be very active in the rotation.
I think Steele is looking for Bissainthe to play the Will/Jack OLB position. Steele spoke of a LB who is going to be great at that position but is currently built like a pencil. Sounds like Wes to me.

I think after getting a look at Flagg and Cave at Mike that the staff is now intent on going through the portal to get a starting Mike LB.

Speaking of Cave, I'm puzzled by his lack of development. He always seemed to have good speed and athleticism. I thought with the new staff that he would really take off but that hasn't happened yet. Anyone have any more insight into Cave's situation?

Ya’ll really think Steele was referring to the 6’1 210ish (yes, still thin) Bissainthe when talking about the pencil built guy that will be great at the RUSH OLB SPOT and not the 6’5 215ish pound guy that looks like Kelly Oubre in pads right now and was literally was recruited to rush the passer by us and everyone else?

Not saying that Wesley can’t provide anything when asked to get after QBs but he is a modern day off the ball backer, not a true pass rusher lol.

Steele was referring to Moss, I would bet my house on it.

Ya’ll really think Steele was referring to the 6’1 210ish (yes, still thin) Bissainthe when talking about the pencil built guy that will be great at the RUSH OLB SPOT and not the 6’5 215ish pound guy that looks like Kelly Oubre in pads right now and was literally was recruited to rush the passer by us and everyone else?

Not saying that Wesley can’t provide anything when asked to get after QBs but he is a modern day off the ball backer, not a true pass rusher lol.

Moss would make sense considering his height/weight proportion. Good comment, I hadn't thought about Moss' height, but I can see how it can apply here.

Advertisement

I thought of Moss but I discounted it for the reason that Cristobal specifically said the Moss was being recruited to play DE. Having said that you may be right. The coaches could have changed their minds but Moss has been at DE this spring if I'm not mistaken.

I thought of Moss but I discounted it for the reason that Cristobal specifically said the Moss was being recruited to play DE. Having said that you may be right. The coaches could have changed their minds but Moss has been at DE this spring if I'm not mistaken.
In Kevin steeles defense de and rush olb is basically the same thing.

Advertisement
I agree, I was searching for hitters and as usual ROHAN booom pops up in my mind.

Rohan was just plain DEADLY beyond thought 🙌🙌🙌🙌.

Thanks for reeling me in.
I might get message board killed on here for saying this, but I've never been impressed with Marley as a hitter or a tackler. I loved his intensity and effort, the guy got everything out of his ability and played with an unmatched passion, but honestly he missed a lot of tackles and played recklessly more times than not. We all love the guy, though, he bleeds orange and green, but I can only clearly recall one monster/effective knock out hit from him at UM, which was against CU. He knocked their TE into the bye week. I just watched a highlight reel and I saw him miss tackles and overrun plays more than I saw him knocking heads off. Maybe he's so fondly remembered because of how small he was relative to the position, I get that, but overall he was a good player, not a muderous hitter. Robert Bailey was a thumper back in the day that not many people bring up when we discuss some of the body snatchers that we've had at UM.

Pound for pound the hardest hitting backer that I remember seeing was Tray Blackmon at AU. Antoine Winfield and Meriweather are the hardest hitters pound for pound regardless of position. Winfield was only about 175 lbs,, I measured him for his wedding tuxedo back when I was in high school. I couldn't believe how small and short he was, but he would put folks to sleep like NyQuil out there.

I might get message board killed on here for saying this, but I've never been impressed with Marley as a hitter or a tackler. I loved his intensity and effort, the guy got everything out of his ability and played with an unmatched passion, but honestly he missed a lot of tackles and played recklessly more times than not. We all love the guy, though, he bleeds orange and green, but I can only clearly recall one monster/effective knock out hit from him at UM, which was against CU. He knocked their TE into the bye week. I just watched a highlight reel and I saw him miss tackles and overrun plays more than I saw him knocking heads off. Maybe he's so fondly remembered because of how small he was relative to the position, I get that, but overall he was a good player, not a muderous hitter. Robert Bailey was a thumper back in the day that not many people bring up when we discuss some of the body snatchers that we've had at UM.

Pound for pound the hardest hitting backer that I remember seeing was Tray Blackmon at AU. Antoine Winfield and Meriweather are the hardest hitters pound for pound regardless of position. Winfield was only about 175 lbs,, I measured him for his wedding tuxedo back when I was in high school. I couldn't believe how small and short he was, but he would put folks to sleep like NyQuil out there.
This Post is ridiculous....Merriweather harder hitter than Webster Pound for Pound??....in what world??.....Blackmon a harder hitter than Nate??....Nah man....

You, Blackmon and Winfield are definitely about to get ether'd lol.

I remember blackmon- his HS highlights were that of legends.

As for Rohan, I recall seeing him in practice taking on 300 pound pulling guards and standing them up. Never seen anything like it

Advertisement
Back