Wesley Bissainthe: Will he be ready?

I saw Bissainthe within the last month. He is much taller and longer than I expected. He certainly looked all of 6'1". He was pretty thin though. That said, if he can run and hit, not sure why physical development would preclude him from playing this year. I guess if we are playing a very physical, run heavy offense he might be a liability; apart from A&M and Clemson, I'm not sure what other teams on our schedule might be able to take advantage of an undersized LB.

Advertisement
Will he start? No

Will he play? Yes
DCF2024E-288C-4564-A738-1C825AEC8432.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
I've been among the loudest critics of our LB play. But I 100% believe that Steed, Keontra and Chase will not only be adequate but will be quality OLBs. So if we do get an MLB portal transfer, I don't think Bissainthe will be needed and will only be slowly brought along. If we don't have portal success, and we're expecting these guys plus Cave to handle both LB positions, then, yeah, I expect Bissainthe to be very active in the rotation.

Sean Spence was a smaller LBer but he still was very physical and packed a lot of hitting power. Most of the smaller LBers today don’t have that same level of physicality in their game. I haven’t seen any of Wesley’s high school highlights… how does he compare to Sean Spence when it comes to that aspect of his game?

Advertisement
I just want to see the Spring game before I make any judgments at LB. I'm sure there'll be many discussions that day.

Also, there's 4 months before Fall camp. That's a lot of time for more physical and mental development.

Being here for spring is a huge help as well. If he’s really the goods, there’s no reason why he can’t contribute significantly this year.
OBM isn't he one of the guys who so many say : "Show me and then I will believe it"?. Thin, young, inexperienced, but tall and long, that is the mantra right now, but until he shows out , then the proof is in the pudding......... play to show Mario's product, then we will confirm he is a contributor.

Advertisement
i will take 75% of sean spence's productivity, even less. spence was the best that came out of the MNW class.
It’s crazy we locked up all those guys from MNW that cycle, then missed the only 1 that had a good career in the league (grade issues? I can’t remember). David is a beast.

I think Spence would be an AA as a LB today IMO.

You forget how good Spence was as a college LB.
Spence was a beast one of my favorite canes. I just think modern day backer is almost like a long db frame wise (pause). Some of the best linebackers in the league mostly have that athletic frame with long arms and can run.
Let's hope his production is somewhere close to Spence's in his FR year. SS was an animal. The fact that he's under Sean's tutelage is a good indicator.

View attachment 180610
knee injury and too much weight gain imo slowed him down. His FR year he looked like a super star but alot of frames cant handle weight. Thats why the elite recruit certain body types with explosiveness. Tough thing trying to evaluate guys man, some HCs got that gift like Butch and Saban.

Spence was a beast one of my favorite canes. I just think modern day backer is almost like a long db frame wise (pause). Some of the best linebackers in the league mostly have that athletic frame with long arms and can run.

knee injury and too much weight gain imo slowed him down. His FR year he looked like a super star but alot of frames cant handle weight. Thats why the elite recruit certain body types with explosiveness. Tough thing trying to evaluate guys man, some HCs got that gift like Butch and Saban.

If Bissainthe is as good as SS, then we are fortunate indeed. Strong v Barrow, that seems like a wash to me from a coaching perspective. So it's on Wes to prove you right.

You guys and your "pause"s. Please don't let it be a thing on here. Leave that schtick to NYSOM.

Advertisement
Back