Welcome to the []_[]

We are horrible as a fan base, we have the top 10 class according to 247sports, & we haven't even gotten our blue chip players yet, and we are all mad lol

I mentioned this in another thread earlier today, but that ranking is misleading and a direct result of quantity. The blue-chip talent matters far more than anything else.

The number to look at is the average star rating (cue the "stars don't matter" crew). Out of teams currently ranked in the top 30 for this cycle, 23 teams have a higher average star rating than Miami. Many of those teams have just as many four-star commits, but they have fewer total commitments right now.

Then, when you factor in that our insiders don't expect our best current commit (Williams) to stick, the concern that some have is completely valid. Especially with the latest news surrounding Irvin and Johnson.

Advertisement
Everybody is looking at it as "glass half empty" instead, of "glass half full." The big names will come, they just need some time. Look at the current commits as the floor not the ceiling....

I've been following this kid for months--glad to see we got him. I might be horribly wrong, but I've always seen him as an inside linebacker. I'm curious to know what some some of the other Defensive guys on the board think. He clearly has the body type of a Sam/DE, but he plays like an inside guy. His film suggests that he's extremely football smart for his age. He rarely false steps--which allows him to play fast, he's fluid in pass coverage, and he has great instincts.

His situation reminds me a little of Brian Cushing's transition from USC to the NFL. At USC, Cushing was a 43 under Sam (which is just a glorified DE). He got drafted into a 34 system at Houston, they moved him inside and he's stayed there ever since. Their dimensions are similar: Cushing 6'3, 249; Gordinier 6'4, 235. Again, my theory might be a bit off the wall, but my first thought was that might end up being an inside linebacker.

Advertisement
Lulz at people getting worked up at a recruiting class in June.

This is accurate, because we could be knocking it out the park right now in recruiting and it would be for naught if we face plant this season. If we show promise, we will end up with a very good class, if we struggle we will still end up with a top 20 class, not good but not horrible, kinda what we have right now.

I've been following this kid for months--glad to see we got him. I might be horribly wrong, but I've always seen him as an inside linebacker. I'm curious to know what some some of the other Defensive guys on the board think. He clearly has the body type of a Sam/DE, but he plays like an inside guy. His film suggests that he's extremely football smart for his age. He rarely false steps--which allows him to play fast, he's fluid in pass coverage, and he has great instincts.

His situation reminds me a little of Brian Cushing's transition from USC to the NFL. At USC, Cushing was a 43 under Sam (which is just a glorified DE). He got drafted into a 34 system at Houston, they moved him inside and he's stayed there ever since. Their dimensions are similar: Cushing 6'3, 249; Gordinier 6'4, 235. Again, my theory might be a bit off the wall, but my first thought was that might end up being an inside linebacker.

I was thinking the same thing, he will be a good inside linebacker for us.

I'm honestly starting to think that some of the posters that have infected this site are on the UM admin payroll. It's like someone fed bomb after midnight or dropped some water on him and he's multiplying.

Totally agree, this kid will be a stud MLB here.

Advertisement
This whole stars debate is getting old. There are way more 3 star players then 5 star players, you know why? The 5 star players are the "duh" kind of prospects, the ones who are almost a sure fire lock to be good at the next level. Of course we want those players, we want as many of those players as we can get obviously. for 98% of programs tho this isn't a realistic possibility. Not many teams have rosters FULL of 4 or 5 star players (im talking the entire roster here, not just guys who see the field). 3 star players are the backbone of almost any program, they give depth and are still good enough to turn into or already be a contributing player. we need backups, we need depth, were not at the place where we can have 70 guys on the roster who are all 4 and 5 star players. If this was the norm for Golden id be concerned, but one class thats heavy on 3 star players isnt a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

And welcome to the U kid, look forward to seeing him play.

This whole stars debate is getting old. There are way more 3 star players then 5 star players, you know why? The 5 star players are the "duh" kind of prospects, the ones who are almost a sure fire lock to be good at the next level. Of course we want those players, we want as many of those players as we can get obviously. for 98% of programs tho this isn't a realistic possibility. Not many teams have rosters FULL of 4 or 5 star players (im talking the entire roster here, not just guys who see the field). 3 star players are the backbone of almost any program, they give depth and are still good enough to turn into or already be a contributing player. we need backups, we need depth, were not at the place where we can have 70 guys on the roster who are all 4 and 5 star players. If this was the norm for Golden id be concerned, but one class thats heavy on 3 star players isnt a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

We should have about 40 kids who are 4/5 stars on the roster in order to look like a Miami team.

That means somewhere in the ballpark of 8-14 recruits per cycle that are 4/5 stars. We've done OK the past two cycles, we could hit that mark again this cycle but something tells me we're going to have to show something this season to get there.

A 3-star from jersey is like a 2-star from Florida

Oh yeah...so smart. i don't know where Danny Stubbs (Red Bank Regional High) was rated, but I remember when Greg Mark (Pennsauken) signed, and he was on none of the recruiting lists, none. I used to subscribe to them all (before the internet).

These were two of the most phenomenal players in UM history. Stubbs was an unstoppable pass rusher, so was Mark. Mark was so tough he went inside to play DT at about 240 pounds in 1987 when Sileo was declared ineligible. Pound for pound, one of the toughest kids ever.

So, yeah. Jersey kids suck. Typical south Florida dumbass comment. Probably never been north of Vero Beach. Ever ride on an airplane, ever seen snow?

And didn't James Lewis from that town right outside NYC have an interception in the Rose Bowl as a starting safety? And didn't Richard Newbill (Mullica, NJ) start for us at LB for the 1989 Championship team? There might have been a few others...can't remember them all.

Advertisement

We should have about 40 kids who are 4/5 stars on the roster in order to look like a Miami team.

Typical revisionist UM football history. I doubt that we ever really had that high a percentage of 4 and 5 stars, although our greatest teams were in the '80's before the internet, and there were just the various newsletters. We had so many kids that never made it into the newsletters but became stars--like Leon Searcy, Greg Mark, Gino Torretta. People just think a lot of our great players were 4 or 5 stars because they played that way after coming to UM.

Welcome to DA U!!!!!!
78.gif

What do you say? 4, 4-1/2 stars? Could always be a little room for improvement. Since she has some clothes on, it's hard to know if she's hiding any flaws or weaknesses. Otherwise, she's definitely a take. She doesn't even have to attend the AG camp to get an offer, in my view.

Typical revisionist UM football history. I doubt that we ever really had that high a percentage of 4 and 5 stars, although our greatest teams were in the '80's before the internet, and there were just the various newsletters. We had so many kids that never made it into the newsletters but became stars--like Leon Searcy, Greg Mark, Gino Torretta. People just think a lot of our great players were 4 or 5 stars because they played that way after coming to UM.

I agree with some of what you're saying. From my memory, there were no "star ratings" back in the day so it's hard to compare the 80's to today.

I don't think our best teams were in the 80's. Objectively, I'd say our best teams were 2000-2003. I'll catch a few negs for this, but in the 80's/90's we were a bit overhyped at times. We had a lot of good fortune on our side, not least of which was that so many of our bowl games were played at home in the Orange Bowl. Also, you have to remember that Jimmy built his teams from the ground up to defeat teams like Nebraska and Oklahoma with south florida speed on defense. We were fortunate to be matched up against those teams as often as we were, and we made our reputation beating them, often at home. When we had to play more "traditional" teams like Alabama and Penn State we didn't fare quite as well.

Our 2000-2003 teams were simply loaded all over the roster with talent. We could line up and beat anyone. Part of that was Butch, but an even bigger part of that was riding the wave of our success from the 80's and 90's.... all the kids growing up in that era wanted to play for the U because they remembered what we used to be.

Anyway, what I think Howard and Jimmy and Butch did so **** well was IDENTIFY talent.... regardless of stars. Even if you miss on the top tier of South Florida kids, you can build a team that can win big with the second tier of South Florida kids if you can pick the right ones.

All you have to do is look at the whooping Louisville put on us last year. They did it with a base of South Florida kids, some of which we wanted, most of which we passed on for one reason or another.

The most important attribute for a Miami coach to have is to be able to identify local talent and go get it. It remains to be seen if Golden has this knack. We'll find out next year when his first real class are juniors, we should know all we need to know by then.

I can tell you that's why he was hired though. I think he found like 3 first rounders for Temple during his time there, so why shouldn't that translate over to Miami? I've even heard it said that Mark D'Onofrio is the real talent scout of the two, and that's why he was kept on until next year.... but it remains to be seen.

I personally believe we're going to be loaded with talent next year and we won't look anything like last year's team. I think we have a LOT of future NFL-ers in the two deep and that will, as it always has for us, translate to a lot of wins.

Last year, our secondary was basically Tracy Howard, Ladarius Gunter, AJ Highsmith, and Kacey Rogers. Out of those guys, only Tracy Howard has a future in the NFL.

This coming year, our secondary will be Howard, Artie Burns, and some combination of Dallas Crawford, Deon Bush, and Jamal Carter. Out of those, at least 4 will be drafted.

At linebacker, we return Denzel Perryman, who will be drafted. Last year, Tyrone Cornelius and Jimmy Gaines joined him, neither are NFL talents. This year, you're looking at Raphael Kirby and Alex Figueroa, both of whom at least have a shot... although I'd still like to see more from them.

On the defensive line, last year we had Chickillo, Porter, Pierre, and Shayon Green. Chickillo will probably be drafted, Pierre maybe, Porter and Green were not. This coming year, we have a couple JUCOS to stuff the middle and then Ufomba Kamalu and AQM, both who look like NFL prospects to me. AQM looks elite.

That's just defense but you get the point. Golden has brought in quite a bit of talent, so I wouldn't be too quick to write him off. Wait and see how they do next year.

Advertisement
Florida recruits are way better than NJ or NY recruits. Why do you think the Big Ten hasn't sniffed a national championship in recent years? Bama blew Michigan state out when they played. I'd take a 3-star Florida recruit over a 4-star NJ recruit any day of the week....

Florida recruits are way better than NJ or NY recruits. Why do you think the Big Ten hasn't sniffed a national championship in recent years? Bama blew Michigan state out when they played. I'd take a 3-star Florida recruit over a 4-star NJ recruit any day of the week....
Bama doesn't have many Florida kids.

It doesn't matter that we never had that high of a percentage of 4 and 5 stars back in the day. We won and that's that...But to WIN today, we have to have a higher percentage. Thats just how it is. Coupled with the fact we dont have great coaching, we definitely need a higher percentage. Or we'll continue to be average and get smoked by decent teams

You **** about stars just remember Luke kuchley was a 2 star out of cincinnati. Look how he turned out.
Come on man be serious...Call me a star ***** I don't care. Luke Kuchly was a great player, did he win a NC though ? NO. I don't know what you want this team to do, but I want it to win a championship. Atleast the ACC ! We won't win recruiting like this. We will win by landing 4 and 5 stars. That's just how it is. Ask Alabama. Ask Florida State. Until I see us win something meaningful with a team full of 3 stars, yup i'm gonna b**** about stars. Go ahead and keep accepting mediocrity if you want to.

2013 nfl draft
1. Kansas City Chiefs: OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
Particulars: 2-star OT in 2009 recruiting class.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
Particulars: 4-star OT in 2010 recruiting class (national top-40 player).

3. Miami Dolphins: DE Dion Jordan, Oregon
Particulars: 4-star TE in 2008 recruiting class.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
Particulars: 2-star TE in 2009 recruiting class (junior college recruit).

5. Detroit Lions: DE Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, BYU
Particulars: Unranked; did not play high school football (arrived at BYU in 2008 as a track athlete from Ghana).

6. Cleveland Browns: DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU
Particulars: 4-star OLB in 2009 recruiting class.

7. Arizona Cardinals: G Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
Particulars: 3-star G in 2008 recruiting class.

8. St. Louis Rams: WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia
Particulars: 4-star RB in 2009 recruiting class.

9. New York Jets: CB Dee Milliner, Alabama
Particulars: 5-star CB in 2010 recruiting class (national top-25 player).

10. Tennessee Titans: G Chance Warmack, Alabama
Particulars: 3-star G in 2009 recruiting class.

11. San Diego Chargers: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama
Particulars: 5-star OT in 2009 recruiting class (national top-five player).

12. Oakland Raiders: CB DJ Hayden, Houston
Particulars: 3-star S/CB in 2011 recruiting class (national top-50 junior college player).

13. New York Jets: DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
Particulars: 4-star DT in 2011 recruiting class (national top-five junior college player).

14. Carolina Panthers: DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
Particulars: 3-star DE in 2010 recruiting class (national top-50 junior college player).

15. New Orleans Saints: S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
Particulars: 4-star S in 2009 recruiting class.

16. Buffalo Bills: QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
Particulars: 4-star QB in 2008 recruiting class (national top-50 player).

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: LB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
Particulars: 4-star DE in 2009 recruiting class (national top-75 player; signed with USC before transferring).

18. San Francisco 49ers: S Eric Reid, LSU
Particulars: 4-star S in 2010 recruiting class (national top-100 player).

19. New York Giants: G Justin Pugh, Syracuse
Particulars: 2-star OT in 2009 recruiting class.

20. Chicago Bears: G Kyle Long, Oregon
Particulars: 3-star OT in 2012 recruiting class (national top-30 junior college player; signed with Florida State to play baseball out of high school in 2008).

21. Cincinnati Bengals: TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
Particulars: 3-star TE in 2009 recruiting class.

22. Atlanta Falcons: CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
Particulars: 3-star CB in 2009 recruiting class.

23. Minnesota Vikings: DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Particulars: 5-star DT in 2010 recruiting class (national top-five player).

24. Indianapolis Colts: DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State
Particulars: 3-star DT in 2010 recruiting class.

25. Minnesota Vikings: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
Particulars: 3-star WR in 2009 recruiting class.

26. Green Bay Packers: DE Datone Jones, UCLA
Particulars: 4-star DE in 2008 recruiting class.

27. Houston Texans: WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
Particulars: 4-star ATH in 2010 recruiting class.

28. Denver Broncos: DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
Particulars: 3-star DT in 2011 recruiting class (national top-25 junior college recruit).

29. Minnesota Vikings: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
Particulars: 4-star WR in 2012 recruiting class (national top-five junior college recruit).

30. St. Louis Rams: LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
Particulars: 4-star S in 2010 recruiting class (national top-40 player).

31. Dallas Cowboys: C Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
Particulars: 3-star G/C in 2009 recruiting class (an aside: went to Big Foot High School -- seriously -- in tiny Walworth, Wis.).

32. Baltimore Ravens: S Matt Elam, Florida
Particulars: 5-star S in 2010 recruiting class (national top-25 player).

15 players 3* or less nearly half the first round............

2012 nfl draft
1. Indianapolis Colts: QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
Particulars: 4-star QB in 2008 recruiting class (national top-70 player).

2. Washington Redskins: QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
Particulars: 4-star QB in 2008 recruiting class.

3. Cleveland Browns: RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
Particulars: 5-star RB in 2009 recruiting class (national top-10 player).

4. Minnesota Vikings: OT Matt Kalil, USC
Particulars: 5-star OT in 2008 recruiting class (national top-15 player).

5. Jacksonville Jaguars: WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Particulars: 3-star WR in 2008 recruiting class.

6. Dallas Cowboys: CB Morris Claiborne, LSU
Particulars: 3-star ATH in 2009 recruiting class.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: SS Mark Barron, Alabama
Particulars: 4-star ATH in 2008 recruiting class (national top-60 player).

8. Miami Dolphins: QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
Particulars: 3-star QB in 2007 recruiting class.

9. Carolina Panthers: LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
Particulars: 3-star LB in 2009 recruiting class.

10. Buffalo Bills: CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
Particulars: 4-star ATH in 2009 recruiting class (national top-90 player).

11. Kansas City Chiefs: DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
Particulars: 2-star DT in 2008 recruiting class.

12. Philadelphia Eagles: DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
Particulars: 4-star DT in 2009 recruiting class (national top-100 player).

13. Arizona Cardinals: WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
Particulars: 5-star WR in 2008 recruiting class (national top-30 player).

14. St. Louis Rams: DT Michael Brockers, LSU
Particulars: 4-star DE in 2009 recruiting class.

15. Seattle Seahawks: DE Bruce Irvin, West Virginia
Particulars: 4-star LB in 2010 recruiting class (national top-10 junior college player).

16. New York Jets: DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

17. Cincinnati Bengals: CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
Particulars: 5-star CB in 2009 recruiting class (national top-15 player).

18. San Diego Chargers: DE Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
Particulars: 4-star LB in 2007 recruiting class.

19. Chicago Bears: DE Shea McClellin, Boise State
Particulars: 2-star DE in 2007 recruiting class.

20. Tennessee Titans: WR Kendall Wright, Baylor

21. New England Patriots: DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse
Particulars: 2-star TE in 2008 recruiting class.

22. Cleveland Browns: QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
Particulars: Graduated high school in 2001, before Rivals.com recruiting rankings existed. Played minor league baseball for five years before signing with Oklahoma State in 2007.

23. Detroit Lions: OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
Particulars: 3-star DE in 2008 recruiting class.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: G David DeCastro, Stanford
Particulars: 3-star C in 2008 recruiting class.

25. New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
Particulars: 4-star LB in 2008 recruiting class.

26. Houston Texans: DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois

27. Cincinnati Bengals: G Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
Particulars: 3-star G in 2008 recruiting class.

28. Green Bay Packers: DE Nick Perry, USC
Particulars: 4-star DE in 2008 recruiting class (national top-60 player).

29. Minnesota Vikings: S Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
Particulars: 4-star ATH in 2007 recruiting class.

30. San Francisco 49ers: WR A.J. Jenkins, Illinois

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: RB Doug Martin, Boise State
Particulars: 2-star RB in 2007 recruiting class.

32. New York Giants: RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech
Particulars: 4-star RB in 2009 recruiting class (national top-40 player).

14 players 3* or less.......................

2011 nfl draft
1. Carolina Panthers: QB Cam Newton, Auburn
Particulars: 5-star QB in 2010 recruiting class (national No. 1 junior college player; also was a five-star QB and a national top-30 player out of high school in 2007 class).

2. Denver Broncos: OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
Particulars: 4-star DE in 2007 recruiting class.

3. Buffalo Bills: DT Marcell Dareus, Alabama
Particulars: 3-star DT in 2008 recruiting class.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: WR A.J. Green, Georgia
Particulars: 5-star WR in 2008 recruiting class (national top-10 player).

5. Arizona Cardinals: CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
Particulars: 5-star CB in 2008 recruiting class (national top-five player; known as Patrick Johnson in high school).

6. Atlanta Falcons: WR Julio Jones, Alabama
Particulars: 5-star WR in 2008 recruiting class (national top-five player).

7. San Francisco 49ers: DE Aldon Smith, Missouri

8. Tennessee Titans: QB Jake Locker, Washington
Particulars: 4-star QB in 2006 recruiting class (national top-70 player).

9. Dallas Cowboys: OT Tyron Smith, USC
Particulars: 5-star OT in 2008 recruiting class (national top-15 player).

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
Particulars: 5-star QB in 2008 recruiting class (national top-15 player).

11. Houston Texans: DE J.J. Watt, Wisconsin
Particulars: 2-star DE in 2007 recruiting class (signed with Central Michigan before transferring).

12. Minnesota Vikings: QB Christian Ponder, Florida State
Particulars: 3-star QB in 2006 recruiting class.

13. Detroit Lions: DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
Particulars: 3-star DT in 2009 recruiting class (junior college recruit).

14. St. Louis Rams: DE Robert Quinn, North Carolina

15. Miami Dolphins: C Mike Pouncey, Florida
Particulars: 4-star G in 2007 recruiting class.

16. Washington Redskins: LB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
Particulars: 3-star DE in 2007 recruiting class.

17. New England Patriots: OT Nate Solder, Colorado
Particulars: 3-star TE in 2006 recruiting class.

18. San Diego Chargers: DT Corey Liuget, Illinois
Particulars: 4-star DT in 2008 recruiting class (national top-80 player).

19. New York Giants: CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
Particulars: 3-star ATH in 2007 recruiting class.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
Particulars: 4-star DE in 2006 recruiting class.

21. Cleveland Browns: DT Phil Taylor, Baylor
Particulars: 4-star DT in 2006 recruiting class (signed with Penn State before transferring).

22. Indianapolis Colts: OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
Particulars: 2-star OT in 2007 recruiting class (prep school recruit).

23. Philadelphia Eagles: G Danny Watkins, Baylor
Particulars: 4-star OT in 2009 recruiting class (national top-40 junior college recruit).

24. New Orleans: DE Cameron Jordan, California
Particulars: 3-star DE in 2007 recruiting class.

25. Seattle Seahawks: OT James Carpenter, Alabama
Particulars: 4-star OT in 2009 recruiting class (national top-40 junior college recruit).

26. Kansas City Chiefs: WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh
Particulars: 5-star WR in 2008 recruiting class (national top-30 player).

27. Baltimore Ravens: CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado
Particulars: 3-star ATH in 2006 recruiting class.

28. New Orleans Saints: RB Mark Ingram, Alabama
Particulars: 4-star ATH in 2008 recruiting class.

29. Chicago Bears: OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
Particulars: 3-star OT in 2006 recruiting class.

30. New York Jets: DT Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple
Particulars: 3-star G in 2008 recruiting class (prep school recruit).

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio State
Particulars: 4-star DT in 2007 recruiting class.

32. Green Bay Packers: OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State
Particulars: 4-star OT in 2007 recruiting class.

13 players 3* stars or less ........... Do you see a trend here? Not a statistics major and I see a pattern. You star humpers are crazy.

Advertisement
Back