Weekend Visits

Larry

All-American
Highest Priority. Not just any defensive tackles. Gigantic run stuffers preferred, ones that can play immediately are highly desired and given preference.

Whatever it takes.

Advertisement
The scary part is when Golden talks about needs in recruiting, he hardly ever mentions DT's. Leaves me baffled every single time.

man please its this suck *** defensive coordinator...while there defensive coordinator was blitzing corners to stop our run our dc sits back and plays cover 4

Advertisement
The problem is we have 11 DTs on the roster for next year. It's tough to add more.

Them boys ain't coming here.

We need to uncover rocks, man...boulders if we have to...dig and mine as far as we have to to get someone. JUCO, Prep, something. Boys with SIZE and STRENGTH. And I'm not talking size as in 6'6" 350lbs...they can be 6'2" 290lbs if they are a fire hydrant and strong as an ox like Damione Lewis. They don't need to be Eddie Goldman or Justin Shanks sized 18 year olds. But we need guys that can come in and hold the **** line of scrimmage.

Advertisement
I agree with all of this, but I think people forget we did bring in, IIRC, 5 (?) new DT's (when it was all said and done with position assignments) this year (yes one was Juco).

I am not trying to downplay our need for DT's, just point out the process of restocking has already started. Numbers might depend on how the staff feels about the new kids. That said, you can never have enough!

I agree with all of this, but I think people forget we did bring in, IIRC, 5 (?) new DT's (when it was all said and done with position assignments) this year (yes one was Juco).

I am not trying to downplay our need for DT's, just point out the process of restocking has already started. Numbers might depend on how the staff feels about the new kids. That said, you can never have enough!

To be brutally honest, I don't think kids like Corey King or Junior Alexis are here next year, and I think we see players move back to natural positions, like Olsen Pierre.

Next season...the D-Tackle situation will look like this as of now...

Darius Smith (senior)
Marcus Forston (senior)
Luther Robinson (junior)
Curtis Porter (junior)
Jalen Grimble (soph)
Earl Moore (freshman)

and then maybe Adewale Ojomo comes back and maybe he stays inside.

Five legitimate returning defensive tackles, one new comer, and one player that might flex back inside. Two seniors. I think we NEED, two more, simply because players like Alexis and King are legitimate dead weight and six defensive tackles is very very light and in a perfect world, you don't kick Pierre and Ojomo inside as they are power ends.

Preferrably, ONE Junior College or Prep defensive tackle that can come in and play right away (not a Pierre or Smith come in right away type...one that can come in and be physically ready to play in both snap volume and physically).

Damien Jacobs is a name floating out there. Former Louisiana prep kid, signed with FSU, was recruited by SEC kids. Goes JUCO, has offers from Tennessee, Florida, MissState. Committed to Tennessee, but he's taking visits.

Daniel McCullers is the type of player we could desperately use. Looking like he'll go to Alabama at the moment, however.

These are higher end types out there, but I'm just trying to make a point that there are guys out there that fit the mold with what we need...just need to find them.

Last edited:
Point taken. I had Pierre and a DT all the way and while I have Alexis zeroing out, I didn't know King's future was that much in doubt. We will see.

I'd prefer not to go the JUCO route for DT this year, simply because we need to recruit/develop impact underclassmen.

DT is going to look like a wasteland in a year or two.

Advertisement
I'd prefer not to go the JUCO route for DT this year, simply because we need to recruit/develop impact underclassmen.

Go juco. We don't have the targets we'd like as hs kids. Can't afford to suck at dt for next several years.

Need someone that can come in and hold the line of scrimmage NOW.

Bringing in someone that can contribute right now at a position of need is not going to hinder the development of a player 2-3 years down the line as long as you bring in that player. For a defensive tackle, more than anything, they need to continue to develop that body and get stronger and more mature physically. I like Jalen Grimble...he was a 5-star kid...BUT, he was hindered by his lack of physical maturity over the course of the entire season. If you get the HS player...you will get play like that or worse. You'd be getting a role player, but not a player that you can rely on to hold the line.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saban brings in 4-6 dlineman a year with 1-2 JUCOs. If you look at their lines the past few years it has been 1 JUCO and 2 3 star kids starting.

Saban brings in 4-6 dlineman a year with 1-2 JUCOs. If you look at their lines the past few years it has been 1 JUCO and 2 3 star kids starting.

Saban definitely puts an emphasis on the front seven in recruiting.

A sampling of defensive linemen playing for Saban...

Marcel Dareus - ****
Terrence Cody - **** (JUCO)
Josh Chapman - ***
Courtney Upshaw (Jack Linebacker) - ****
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****
Quinton Dial - *** went JUCO and came back a ****

But one thing he does do, is load up on front seven recruiting. Defensive line signeees by year.

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

That's potentially 35 players at the defensive line...attrition proof.

Marcel Dareus - ****
Josh Chapman - ***
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****

But one thing he does do, is load up on front seven recruiting. Defensive line signeees by year.

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

Good post. Would be interested to see who got in, who moved positions and who moved on, as obviously he doesn't have that many schollies tied up in DLs.

Marcel Dareus - ****
Josh Chapman - ***
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

Good post. Would be interested to see who got in, who moved positions and who moved on, as obviously he doesn't have that many schollies tied up in DLs.

Random Examples continued...

**** Freshman and Prep recruit Kerry Murphy ('Canes fans may remember him), never made it...but *** recruits Josh Chapman and Nick Gentry are the teams Top 2 on the depth chart this season.
**** DE prospects Donta Hightower and Courtney Upshaw play inside linebacker and Jack linebacker respectively.
**** DE prospect Michael Williams plays tight end.
*** DE prospect Brandon Lewis is playing somewhere on the offensive side of the ball.
*** DE prospect Glenn Harbin is not on the team...he may be playing baseball, he was on the team before this season as a jack linebacker.
*** DE prospect Undra Billingsley is a backup on the defensive line.
***/**** DE prospect Quinton Dial signed, then went JUCO, came back to Bama and is in the rotation on the DL.

Overall, I'm finding that a majority of these kids are still on the team in some regard, playing somewhere.nn

Advertisement
Back