Weekend Visits

Dont forget Jesse Williams for Bama, kid was making some plays for saban coming into his own...

And yes a 6'4 330 pound beast from juco ranks

Advertisement
Saban brings in 4-6 dlineman a year with 1-2 JUCOs. If you look at their lines the past few years it has been 1 JUCO and 2 3 star kids starting.

Saban definitely puts an emphasis on the front seven in recruiting.

A sampling of defensive linemen playing for Saban...

Marcel Dareus - ****
Terrence Cody - **** (JUCO)
Josh Chapman - ***
Courtney Upshaw (Jack Linebacker) - ****
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****
Quinton Dial - *** went JUCO and came back a ****

But one thing he does do, is load up on front seven recruiting. Defensive line signeees by year.

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

That's potentially 35 players at the defensive line...attrition proof.

Good post. Would be interested to see who got in, who moved positions and who moved on, as obviously he doesn't have that many schollies tied up in DLs.

Random Examples continued...

**** Freshman and Prep recruit Kerry Murphy ('Canes fans may remember him), never made it...but *** recruits Josh Chapman and Nick Gentry are the teams Top 2 on the depth chart this season.
**** DE prospects Donta Hightower and Courtney Upshaw play inside linebacker and Jack linebacker respectively.
**** DE prospect Michael Williams plays tight end.
*** DE prospect Brandon Lewis is playing somewhere on the offensive side of the ball.
*** DE prospect Glenn Harbin is not on the team...he may be playing baseball, he was on the team before this season as a jack linebacker.
*** DE prospect Undra Billingsley is a backup on the defensive line.
***/**** DE prospect Quinton Dial signed, then went JUCO, came back to Bama and is in the rotation on the DL.

Overall, I'm finding that a majority of these kids are still on the team in some regard, playing somewhere.nn

Good info. Thanks dude.

I don't like the idea of bringing in JuCo DTs. I understand we need impact guys for next year, but we also need to build depth. What happens in a year or two when those guys are gone have we have no bodies at DT?

I don't like the idea of bringing in JuCo DTs. I understand we need impact guys for next year, but we also need to build depth. What happens in a year or two when those guys are gone have we have no bodies at DT?
Why is it one or the other? No one is saying only recruit jucos. But we have big needs now now now. And HS kids take time to develop. And we aren't in the running for any amazing hs prospects at the spot anyhow. And there just aren't that many great dl that come out each year. So you take the best prospects you can find, but if you need a couple jucos, take them too.

Advertisement
Saban brings in 4-6 dlineman a year with 1-2 JUCOs. If you look at their lines the past few years it has been 1 JUCO and 2 3 star kids starting.

Saban definitely puts an emphasis on the front seven in recruiting.

A sampling of defensive linemen playing for Saban...

Marcel Dareus - ****
Terrence Cody - **** (JUCO)
Josh Chapman - ***
Courtney Upshaw (Jack Linebacker) - ****
Nick Gentry - ***
Damion Square - ****
Quinton Dial - *** went JUCO and came back a ****

But one thing he does do, is load up on front seven recruiting. Defensive line signeees by year.

07 - 8
08 - 9
09 - 6
10 - 6
11 - 6

That's potentially 35 players at the defensive line...attrition proof.

Rivals had Dareus and Square as 3 stars. Haven't checked Scout since Rivals generally has more inflated ranks.

The premise of this thread is right on the money. Eddie Goldman is such an important recruit.

Not that I think we have a real chance at him - but he did say that we are going to get one of his OV's, I believe.

Other than him - who are we targeting?

After stealing from a couple of sites (lol), this is the list so far. Big weekend for Golden and co.

LB Josh Witt
DT Eddie Goldman
QB Preston Dewey
DB Gerald Bowman
DB Vernon Davis
TE Brandon Hollifield
OG Danny Isidora
OT Taylor Gadbois
DE Denico Autry
RB Greg Garmon (4 star RB from Pennsylvania we just offered)
QB David Thompson
DT Earl Moore

Last edited:
Advertisement
After stealing from a couple of sites (lol), this is the list so far. Big weekend for Golden and co.

Josh Witt
Eddie Goldman
Deon Bush
Tony Grimes
Preston Dewey
Gerald Bowman
Vernon Davis
Brandon Hollifield
Aaron Boesch
Danny Isidora
Taylor Gadbois
Denico Autry
Greg Garmon (4 star RB from Pennsylvania we just offered)

Wow.....looks like we definitely want another back in this class.

nice list. we should get at least one commit out of that. please bush or goldman.

i know, i know...

Advertisement

Josh Witt
Eddie Goldman
Deon Bush
Tony Grimes
Preston Dewey
Gerald Bowman
Vernon Davis
Brandon Hollifield
Aaron Boesch
Danny Isidora
Taylor Gadbois
Denico Autry
Greg Garmon (4 star RB from Pennsylvania we just offered)

Wow.....looks like we definitely want another back in this class.

kid is really tall lol. USC offered him last week

[video=youtube;UnhwlWCofr4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnhwlWCofr4[/video]

Nice. Kid looks like another power back. Think Golden noticed some of our short yardage problems this year?

Nice. Kid looks like another power back. Think Golden noticed some of our short yardage problems this year?

Only a blind man would have missed it. We need guys who hit the hole hard though. James hits the hole hard, but he gets stood up and drove back on contact. Miller dances like a ballerina and is taken down with the greatest of ease.

Clements will be our beast next year.

Advertisement
I still think its Wes Brown that ends up here but I'm not sure he's Goldens first choice.

So who would you guys rather have: Davis, Brown, or Garmon?

[video=youtube;c5WMA8lK4Wg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5WMA8lK4Wg[/video]

[video=youtube;U703weQAJ3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U703weQAJ3w[/video]

I like Mike Davis a lot but Brown is a beast as well. Can't go wrong with either one. I think Garmon is a lesser back than them.

Advertisement
Back