Weekend Rotation

So, I guess the McFarlane project continues on Sunday. Gino should consider an opener on Sundays (Ziehl?) until someone steps up and proves they can be a consistent weekend starter.
I’m definitely into the idea of an opener on Sunday’s right now. But I just don’t see how you can realistically do that right now with our lack of any pitching depth. The bullpen is going to be used Friday, Saturday, and then for 9 innings Sunday. Wish we could pull that off but I don’t see how.

Advertisement
I’m definitely into the idea of an opener on Sunday’s right now. But I just don’t see how you can realistically do that right now with our lack of any pitching depth. The bullpen is going to be used Friday, Saturday, and then for 9 innings Sunday. Wish we could pull that off but I don’t see how.
Fair point. I just thought you open w Ziehl or Rafe and hopefully a combination of McFarlane/Rosario, etc get you to Walters for the close. Opposing managers are forced to make lineup changes more than they like w the opener. And as poorly as McFarlane and Rosario have pitched, they don't seem to get good run or defensive support either.

Anyone know if Conference USA TV has improved since last year?
just plunked down $6.95... definitely overpriced, but heck, not much more than a gallon of gas:
1648075346607.png

Advertisement
1-0 Miami bottom of 4th... Miami's bottom of the order left 5 men on base last 2 innings... so far Garland looking fine though, which helps

bottom of 4th upd: spoke to soon. after an error by Gonzales, Garland gives a up a solid double and the guy scores (don't think he should have) for a 1-1 tie, and FAU still at bat with RISP...

...Garland settles down with 2 nice outs to end the inning at 1-1.

upd Miami 5th: Bottom of order yuck again... 1st and third one out, Burke ends it with a weak double play grounder.

Last edited:
Top of 7th, YoYo(after 2 strikeouts) singles to load the bases 1 out in a 1-1 tie... Here's Romero big at Bat...

...infield pop-up dropped by FAU accidentally, but infield fly rule called sucks us to 2 outs (but run sores, lead 2-1)

BURKE TRIPLES to deep far right, 2 score, lead 4-1

Last edited:
Garland is suited for midweek tilts against these slapdick Florida schools but should we reserve him for Sundays?

Advertisement
I mean in theory I don’t hate it. This team needs him to figure it out or the season won’t go well.

**But on Sunday when he gives up 4 in the first I’m gonna be livid**
Definitely in the “if it works, it’s brilliant” category. I’m just not sure UNC is the forum vs say a midweek game (like in two weeks when we play two of them). Gino needs to help him out by putting out his best outfield defense Sunday. I’ll be rooting hard for him to prove me wrong.

Definitely in the “if it works, it’s brilliant” category. I’m just not sure UNC is the forum vs say a midweek game (like in two weeks when we play two of them). Gino needs to help him out by putting out his best outfield defense Sunday. I’ll be rooting hard for him to prove me wrong.
Exactly what I think to. Carolina isn’t gonna put up 10 a game but they will work counts, and force you to stay in the zone. Running him out there against a team that doesn’t beat themselves isn’t the best idea.

Advertisement
I feel like the ability to get through a lineup two times is somewhere inside a kid with a 97mph sinker, a 91mph splitty and mixes in a decent slider - We just have to find it.

It worked. It was brilliant.

Advertisement
Amazing how the perception of the rotation and bullpen can flip over the course of a weekend.
On Friday we bemoaned it all when Gallo couldn't seal the deal and they were near perfect since.
Suddenly a kid like Torres seems a bit more trustworthy.

And despite more OF woes. Those will catch up to us eventually, though, so let's start catching routine pop-ups guys.
At least they were nice enough to save their miscues until Rosario was done pitching. The basic outfield issues across so many outfielders is one of the strangest things I’ve seen.

Game notes for tonight say Dubberly will start, so likely Garland goes tomorrow. I’m a little surprised Garland didn’t get the stronger opponent. I would say they’re keeping him on a full week’s rest but they’d have to shorten him by a day for next Tuesday anyway. I suppose they could still be nursing the back for an extra week. Also possible they didn’t want the same lineup to see him two weeks in a row.

Advertisement
Back