Weekend Rotation

Advertisement
Gino great job. This is a big time decision that I didn’t think he would make. Let’s get this series win. Hopefully we get some bat support for ligon on Saturday
I didn't think he'd do it yet either. Too many coaches fall in love with velocity and spin rate and overlook the fact that you have to be a good pitcher first and foremost.

It's even more impressive that he chose Ligon instead of going the "safer" route with the veteran McFarlane.

Agree. Hopefully they use McFarlane as a multi-inning RP that can give them 4-5 IP a week. Palmquist seems like he's got around 5 innings before his stuff starts to fall off. Would make sense IMO to go with Palmquist > McFarlane > Ziehl/Rafe > Walters on Fri

Advertisement
So pumped for this weekend. It’s already been said a few times but I’m pleasantly surprised Gino made the rotation move.

Good move making Palms the Friday night starter. Unfortunately UM lacrosse plays Georgia Southern and North Florida on Saturday. Will have to walk this good from the hotel.

Rosario is unavailable this weekend with a “dead arm”

Advertisement
Palm is obviously our best shot at a W, but if we execute like we did last Sunday and score early in 2 - 3 games, we could win the series. Let's go!

Advertisement
Advertisement
What’s the hate for McFarlane about? He’s a solid college arm with additional untapped upside.
You answered your own question. “Additional untapped upside” is code for “its year three and he hasn’t figured things out yet”. Guys with great stuff and little command always have potential, but no one really cares unless you get outs.

He is currently valuable as an innings eater against Towson, Harvard, and FIU. But he’s not the guy we’re turning to to win a regional.

You answered your own question. “Additional untapped upside” is code for “its year three and he hasn’t figured things out yet”. Guys with great stuff and little command always have potential, but no one really cares unless you get outs.

He is currently valuable as an innings eater against Towson, Harvard, and FIU. But he’s not the guy we’re turning to to win a regional.
Those are two different things.

If your expectations are quality weekend guy or nothing, you are going to be disappointed so much in college baseball.

Those are two different things.

I know. That's why I wrote "But" to begin the second sentence.

If your expectations are quality weekend guy or nothing, you are going to be disappointed so much in college baseball.

This thread is titled "Weekend Rotation". That's why you see resistance against using McFarlane. If the thread was called "Arms to get us through a week", you wouldn't see that "hate" toward McFarlane. He might be a quality college arm with untapped potential, but he doesn't belong in the weekend rotation, which is what the thread is about.

Advertisement
Back