Week 1 Depth Chart

Advertisement
My initial thoughts:

1. With Williams listed as backup LT to Zion, I don’t think Zion is playing against Bama. IDK, I may be reading too much into that, and if I am, I’m willing to admit I’m wrong but it looks weird.

2. I’m not with Amari starting over Gil UNLESS Amari flat out outworked him. Gil was one of our best players last year while Amari consistently proves that he’s mentally unable to help this team. I see a big penalty against him that will be crushing for us vs Alabama. I’m a huge Gil fan. For him to be 2nd team, Amari better be all conference.

Advertisement
Mccloud has stunk don’t get me wrong. But mccloud hasn’t been the guy getting ejected from games for targeting for 5 years. You’re telling me I’m being selective with my judgement it’s seems like you are too if we’re going to sit here and act like Carter hasn’t hurt this team a ton over his career here
I don’t have a problem with “look, I don’t care how good/bad of a camp either guy has had, GF is proven and the better player to me”. I get that, heck I even said that of all promising news we’ve heard in fall camp, the one I just can’t believe is that Carter is a revelation at striker.

But what I don’t agree with is the “these coaches man” mentality. Like they’re sitting down at meetings with the sole objective of getting Amari Carter as many starts as possible. If they wanted to do that they’d have just left him at Safety and told Hall to kick rocks. Half the brain trust of the defensive staff doesn’t give a crap about Carter, because they just got here this year. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Get Wiggins, Herbert, and Jennings off the two deep.
Wiggins I agree, but who we replacing Herbert with that's healthy?

Same with jennings based on what we are hearing about the lbs... At least jennings has experience... Bigger issue is the recruiting/portal issues related to LBs but that's for a different thread...

The concern is not just that they're playing favorites with some of these guys. Its that even if they **** up they'll stay out there week after week after week. Look at how many blown coverages and targeting penalties Amari Carter had to commit before they finally saw enough from him.

Its also a little hard to buy that it took 5 years to figure out that Carter is actually a striker, McCloud a DE, and both are good enough to start.

Advertisement
Few interesting results...

Carter over Frierson
Clark 2nd string center. Is he even practicing?
Scaife over Williams (bodes well for us as Williams was solid last year and we know Scaife is a better tackle than guard)
Harvey over Johnson
Williams 2nd string safety
Not to scare anyone and this is pure speculation, but maybe they listed Scaife because williams will be LT if Zion ain't ready?

have you been at practice? Watched him play DE? What’s your analysis based on? previous position?
Yes I’m basing it on his previous position. I hope he does great but it has to be concerning.

Stranger things have happened though. Didn’t that UNC Qb turn into an awesome LB?

So let’s hope this is the case.

If he turns out to be amazing then that’s on the coaching staff for not doing a better job identifying and getting the player to switch to a position that would maximize his talents much earlier.

It's about match-ups guys, I'm sure the staff KNOWS Bama wants to just run it down our throats and leave that game without revealing much of their O. They dont care about this game like we do lol we're a small spec on their radar for this season and they have the size and talent to just move us around until proven otherwise. That's the ONLY reason Carter is starting.
This is a bad take. A lot of Saban's game breakers come from SoFL. With NIL giving the kids legit cash in hand, Bama has a less distinct bag advantage for those recruits.

Right now they can say UM cant touch us on the field. What is Saban's pitch if we whoop their *** on the field or even play em close and we can get kids reasonably paid. Better believe Saban wants to reinforce the narrative that Miami is miles behind Bama.

Advertisement
Agree with a few on here. My money is on Williams starting at LT. I think they are still trying to hide the Zion deal. JMO

Advertisement
Agree with a few on here. My money is on Williams starting at LT. I think they are still trying to hide the Zion deal. JMO
He played in the scrimmage. I think there is a chance he’s not 100%, but I also think they’ll see what he’s got the first series and then put in Williams if he’s a liability.

Advertisement
Back