We keep talking Lb’s

Advertisement
I've never seen a game, outside of Bama or a powerhouse vs. say a MAC or Sun Belt team where the DBs played the run so horribly, even worse than the LB...Carter embarrassed, Bolden embarrassed, Hall ehhh...he made some hits...Ivey embarrassed, did not get off a block all day. At least Couch tries, but he's light in the ***.

That was a brutal day for the dbs, even moreso than the LB or DL.

Last edited:
By not having jags at dt. The scheme flourished when we had pretty good players inside. But players are only some of the problem , the scheme is played out. It weds adjustments or a lot better players.

Not against real running games, with real backs, when a team wasn't one dimensional...I was under no impression we would shut UNC down, but that was a joke. Worst game I've ever seen by UM safeties (Bolden and Carter in particular)

We still set the edge dude, that’s why patchan played as much as he did. Yes we don’t play disciplined and we slant a lot but you always set the edge. That’s why Philips blew that play up in the backfield against duke. He set the edge.
I didnt see tv copy, doubt I will watch, but what I think I saw is they ran oklahoma style GT counter where tackle guard on Phillips side let him go and crash on DT, phillips would go up field (which he is taught) then pulling guard would kick him out and the back would just cut up under then bounce it.. Doesnt matter if he is setting or not, he is being kicked out by pulling lineman anyway, he can set away, I saw a play where he squeezed the hole and the back just bounced it and there was no one there to get the spill or force back inside..

You do know the Dl is what keeps them clean right?

The dl has been average , especially inside. We have average dt’s that we overrated as good. Hunte is the only one who looks like a difference maker, but he’s not complete ( yet). Yeah the lb’s suck but a really good dl would keep Ol from eating them alive every play.

Philips and the rest of these guys put up smoke in mirrors stats in this scheme , that’s just facts. There’s no gap integrity or discipline to this scheme. That’s why many call it a “ gimmick”.

Just go look at all the plays we’d had a tfl but Philips and others wanted the sack to pad stats, while running by the ball carrier. Rushing the qb is something you earn when you stop the run. Well....not at Miami.

As I said other day “ I never know how good our dl is from playing in this scheme”. Yesterday was more proof.

Manny needs yo take a long , hard look in the mirror and make some difficult decisions. From his scheme on down. What’s the odds two of the worst run stoking performances I’ve ever seen are so n manny ? BYU and bow
Yup our scheme is trash. 2017 out line was so good bc they would play run and make 3rd and longs then pass rush now we pass rush every play

Advertisement
The funny thing to me is the post are completely different than last week.
Nesta is the fakest tough guy going. He stinks.
I am nit going to talk about the kid!!! If he did what he did with a real program he gets benched!! It was on the screen but nests tried to lie about it and manny seem like he was okay with the action

I said it in the game thread that we need to adopt a more traditional scheme. Still a 4-3 but one that has more gap integrity and that linebackers play in a more controlled fashion. Our numbers won’t be as good but it will help our backers and safety’s and we won’t overrun the edges every play

Norton too.

Like I said , people keep talking lb’s but those were three good college dt’s that fit the scheme perfect.
Norton is better then what we have now but I truly believe he benefitted from RJ. RJ was unblockable that whole season until Clemson. Still love me some Norton but agree to disagree. Anyway after they left I didn't understand what we were doing at CB lb and DT.....Golden was trash but even he had better evals at DT. We are slowly going down the route of fire coach rebuild again....there is no direction on the trail and he will lose his job down the road cause of it.

It sucks to watch and what's even more depressing is that we have people on this very forum that have better eyes for talent then guys getting millions to do the same thing. Typical life of being a Cane fan.....the modern day of cfb has left us in the dust and we ain't going to catch up it's to late.

Manny highlighted in his post game press conference what are the glaring issues with this team. Player related are lack of effort, no fight, poor tackling, poor run fits, and basically said quit. Regarding coaches he said the defense didn’t make any adjustments despite running the same inside zone and counter plays. This speaks directly at Baker, Manny and others.

Manny better tear down the defensive coaches and bring in a new DC, CB, LB, and interior DL coach. Also it’s obvious there is a lingering problem with player motivation and effort, development, scheme and play calling. McCloud is the poster boy example what is wrong with this team. Fifth year player and still can’t read keys, shed blocks, take proper angles, and tackle.

Hopefully next year there’s true competition and play the best. New coaches on defense can make a huge difference in games and recruiting. The dead weight players should graduate or transfer.

Advertisement
I have been telling everybody that dIAZ was not a good hire for DC since it happened. Everybody was on dIAZ dik cause they were use to D'no and his scheme. dIAZ pads the stats against inferior teams/talent. Whenever play against a decent offense ....well. with dIAZ we will always come in 2nd or 3rd in the Coarstal.

How can you keep the offensive linemen off the backers if we are always stunting and slanting them.

If everyone slants to the proper gaps and carries their blocks with them, the LBs will be free to flow.

You just can't do your own thing and pick your own gaps. You can't have a call that prompts the 1-tech to slant left to the B gap but then he decides to swim move and bounce back to the A, right up against the other slanting DT. The hole you leave between the DE and DT is then HUGE. You're also screwed if backside DT gets doubled and can't hold his ground.....which is my concern with so many of our DTs (and guys being moved to DT) being undersized. If that guy gets engulfed and the backside End isn't crashing down or those LBs haven't filled already, you are screwed.

I’ve never got the Nesta hype. He disappears games at a time then does stupid *** **** like grabbing a face masks while on the ground, It’s like he tries to be a Jerome Brown type while not having substance. More of a impersonation of a 80-90’s um dl.

the problem is the moment u question nesta
Someone like Brock will post a clip of one play he made and try to make you feel stupid for questioning his play

all his slurpers should be banned

hey mods u need to start banning slurpers they are the real trolls constantly spreading fake news about how good we are

Advertisement
I just explained to you that the we don't take on double teams with our defensive linemen. If you can show me where the UNC linemen blocked our linemen then released to the 2nd level to get another block on our LBs, then you have a case. I didn't see that happening.

We see the same LB play every week. Shaq and Pink are in the league. They're not there because the defensive line play was superior.

Watch the game again. I watched a film breakdown of the Clemson game from a YouTuber. It was pathetic how the LBs played. I expect this one to be even worse. The film don't lie.

Just watched the video. I get it if no one wants to sit through 57 minutes to relive the Clemson game; however, this is a great breakdown of all the problems everyone has pointed out multiple times.

In particular, it shows how bad this scheme truly is the majority of the time

The problem is obviously at the top , “the administration”. The majority of this board lost their **** when he was hired ( myself included). That’s why I stay away from killing manny or the dc. I go after Blake and people above him.

But fact is manny is here and obviously won’t be fired even though everything says there’s problems. From scheme , lack of of game changers ( recruiting ) , players quitting , no discipline and obviously no respect for the coach. Just go back to Hill last year , dude walked away from manny mid sentence while he was “ disciplining “ him.

The scheme is more a representation of the coach , who’s a representation of Blake James who’s a representation of who hired him.

We’re here because there’s no leadership in the program , they just like that acc tv money.

So yeah , scheme is more a symptom.

What?

Unc’s ol was on the second level with our dl nowhere to be found. I’m not sure what you’re talking about.
I’m in total lockstep agreement with all of that. I just don’t see the point of discussing schemes and position groups and all that because yesterday had nothing to do with any of that.

It’s a waste of time to discuss micro level issues when the HC is a steaming **** and as long as he’s here we’ll keep seeing what we saw yesterday and last year. Then we’ll hear him say how it’s on him and he needs to get it fixed knowing he won’t because he can’t.

Schemes and better players won’t save him because UNC’s players and schemes aren’t THAT much better than ours. you can have the best schemes and players but when they don’t want to play because the HC can’t push the right buttons you’ll get whipped.

If everyone slants to the proper gaps and carries their blocks with them, the LBs will be free to flow.

You just can't do your own thing and pick your own gaps. You can't have a call that prompts the 1-tech to slant left to the B gap but then he decides to swim move and bounce back to the A, right up against the other slanting DT. The hole you leave between the DE and DT is then HUGE. You're also screwed if backside DT gets doubled and can't hold his ground.....which is my concern with so many of our DTs (and guys being moved to DT) being undersized. If that guy gets engulfed and the backside End isn't crashing down or those LBs haven't filled already, you are screwed.
there are many times Phillips seems to be doing his own thing as far as dipping inside when he should have contain but then again we can honestly say if he is or isn’t coached to do that.

Advertisement
By not having jags at dt. The scheme flourished when we had pretty good players inside. But players are only some of the problem , the scheme is played out. It weds adjustments or a lot better players.
Who are the jags at DT not to mention other places?

Stroud is trash and I have been telling you bums. There is a reason no one wanted for almost 2 decades but now that cribby said it’s gospel

Both units are poor. You could put NFL All Pro's back there at LB'er and while it wouldn't be as bad, same **** is going to happen.

Manny has always chosen to try and get his guys up the field. When they get there, he looks good in the stats department. When they don't, it's usually a bloodbath.

Who are the jags at DT not to mention other places?
Any JR/Sr dt that played yesterday is a jag or tad better. Hunte and Blissett are too young to judge, Ford , Nesta and Miller are meh to above average at best. Nobody is worried about them when we’re being scouted. Willis , Norton and McIntosh were far better players. Recruiting has failed us on defense under Diaz.

Advertisement
Back