We keep talking Lb’s

The DL was nowhere to be found while the lb’s ( who suck) are being left to fight off the ol and make tackles in space. Ford , Nesta , Miller and the rest are meh. They can’t get up field or blow plays up in the backfield consistently in a scheme that you should. Our best d was when Willis was here. The rest of the dl are inconsistent and meh. You need dominant hosses inside , of not you’re f’d. A gimmicky D can’t fix it.
It was the coaching, not the players. We were doing stunts and all types of stuff and the ran the same two plays and we never figured out a way to stop it. That’s on the coaches. You know EXACTLY what Carolina was doing but we never did anything to stop it. I ain’t even see one run blitz yesterday. We could have at least stacked the box and make them throw, but never even happened. Brooks came in and did well at Lb so it tells you a lot about the others

Advertisement
You guys still taking schemes and position groups after the players just showed you what they think of the HC? This will keep happening every year when we have a nerd HC the players don’t respect.

You **** on Butch all day long, but he’s the last guy who fits your description. You belong on the BOT with the rest of the ***aloons who run UM. **** you and your stick!

Go Canes!

I didnt see tv copy, doubt I will watch, but what I think I saw is they ran oklahoma style GT counter where tackle guard on Phillips side let him go and crash on DT, phillips would go up field (which he is taught) then pulling guard would kick him out and the back would just cut up under then bounce it.. Doesnt matter if he is setting or not, he is being kicked out by pulling lineman anyway, he can set away, I saw a play where he squeezed the hole and the back just bounced it and there was no one there to get the spill or force back inside..
There is no one there because based off of our LB alignment they are both inside over the interior gaps. They are also slow and dont know how to slip blocks anyway.

Its just a poor scheme and any one with some sort of real offensive mind and marginal offensive talent can exploit it.
**** for 5 years if you havent noticed we have also had below avg qbs spend times going 9/10 ..11/13 in the pass game as well while our lbs are spot dropping guarding grass.

At this point i think and ive been saying it...we need a gray beared defensive guy on staf (why iw as ok with Stroud in some sort of role)..But if not as an analyst or full on dc we need someone NOT from Manny's lackluster coaching tree. Teams in the Acc have definately figured it out. Well the ones with enough talent to not sh*t the bed.

You do know the Dl is what keeps them clean right?

The dl has been average , especially inside. We have average dt’s that we overrated as good. Hunte is the only one who looks like a difference maker, but he’s not complete ( yet). Yeah the lb’s suck but a really good dl would keep Ol from eating them alive every play.

Philips and the rest of these guys put up smoke in mirrors stats in this scheme , that’s just facts. There’s no gap integrity or discipline to this scheme. That’s why many call it a “ gimmick”.

Just go look at all the plays we’d had a tfl but Philips and others wanted the sack to pad stats, while running by the ball carrier. Rushing the qb is something you earn when you stop the run. Well....not at Miami.

As I said other day “ I never know how good our dl is from playing in this scheme”. Yesterday was more proof.

Manny needs yo take a long , hard look in the mirror and make some difficult decisions. From his scheme on down. What’s the odds two of the worst run stoking performances I’ve ever seen are so n manny ? BYU and bow
phillips is just a good athlete, hes not a polished DE. This scheme to me is like watching kids play madden and just blitz every play

Advertisement
There is no one there because based off of our LB alignment they are both inside over the interior gaps. They are also slow and dont know how to slip blocks anyway.

Its just a poor scheme and any one with some sort of real offensive mind and marginal offensive talent can exploit it.
**** for 5 years if you havent noticed we have also had below avg qbs spend times going 9/10 ..11/13 in the pass game as well while our lbs are spot dropping guarding grass.

At this point i think and ive been saying it...we need a gray beared defensive guy on staf (why iw as ok with Stroud in some sort of role)..But if not as an analyst or full on dc we need someone NOT from Manny's lackluster coaching tree. Teams in the Acc have definately figured it out. Well the ones with enough talent to not sh*t the bed.

Where have you gone Sonny Lubick?

First and foremost, whoever comes in(knock on wood), they need to stress setting a sound foundation structurally and being sound fundamentally. I have literally never seen RB's run so free and clear into the second level as I did vs UNC. That goes beyond just having poor players(which is a part of it)

Our linebacker play is about as bad as Ive seen it at Miami. And they really lack football IQ outside of Flagg

Here's the interesting thing about this whole thing, there were a bunch football guru's on the board that pointed out exactly what the flaws were in this Diazster defensive system, and our LB play. So this isn't just knee jerk reactionary posts. Sometimes, things that are plainly obvious, are exactly what they are.

I said a few times that there was something very unsound about this system, and it was further supported by the football guru's on this board that really detailed WHY it was so. The UNC game was just absolute final confirmation of what was said many times on this fine forum.

That defense got hit more than Randall Cobb vs Larry Holmes. At a certain point, you just had to laugh at the ineptitude, and hope that this level of devastation would at least lead to some change

We shall see,....

i recall several plays watching 53 literally sprint at the snap to some theoretical gap he’s supposed to fill, only to allow huge lanes with an easy cutback. For a true freshman, I can understand, but For a 5th year?!
I can for sure say that our LB's are taught this. Go back to the long run LSU had against us when we played them, you'll see the same thing.
Our LB's have predetermined landmarks and shoot to them as soon as they read run.

This program was built on DL.

From '69 to early '80s, Ted Hendricks, Mike Barnes, Ruben Carter, , Don Latimer, Don Smith, Lester Williams, Tony Chickillo,

During the 'run': ***an, Sileo, J. Brown, Stubbs, Hawkins, Tez Kennedy, J. Jones, Maryland, Curry, Sapp, K. Lang, K. Holmes, G. Mark, Medearis*

More recently: D. Lewis, McDougle, Joseph, Williams, Green, Walters, Wilfork, Campbell, Bailey, Vernon

Today we get excited by 3* kids who can play basketball.

Ted Hendricks, Cortez Kennedy and Sapp are in the HOF. J. Brown would be*. Vince Wilfork may get there.

Eddie Edwards and Calais Campbell had just below HOF careers. DPOY for Campbell, plus 5x pro bowl and 3x all pro. Edwards had 83.5 sacks before they even kept proper records, and 17 fumble recoveries and was an all pro.

Russell Maryland was an All American, won the Outland Trophy, was the No. 1 pick in the draft, and was a pro bowler and 3x Super Bowl champion. Gary Dunn and Jim Burt captained multiple Super Bowl winning teams. Sileo was a tough SOB on Miami teams. Stubbs was an All American, national champion at Miami and 2x Super Bowl Champion. ***an is in the Ring of Honor at UM and was a Super Bowl Champion in the NFL. J. Jones made the all-rookie team and was a 2x Super Bowl Champion. K. Lang and K. Holmes played a decade each in the league. Greg Mark was an AA at UM. Bill Hawkins was also.

I think we fail to appreciate that if you don't have several players on your team who won't just get drafted, but be impact players at the next level, then you're probably not talented enough to be competing for a CFB title.

Advertisement
You do know the Dl is what keeps them clean right?

The dl has been average , especially inside. We have average dt’s that we overrated as good. Hunte is the only one who looks like a difference maker, but he’s not complete ( yet). Yeah the lb’s suck but a really good dl would keep Ol from eating them alive every play.

Philips and the rest of these guys put up smoke in mirrors stats in this scheme , that’s just facts. There’s no gap integrity or discipline to this scheme. That’s why many call it a “ gimmick”.

Just go look at all the plays we’d had a tfl but Philips and others wanted the sack to pad stats, while running by the ball carrier. Rushing the qb is something you earn when you stop the run. Well....not at Miami.

As I said other day “ I never know how good our dl is from playing in this scheme”. Yesterday was more proof.

Manny needs yo take a long , hard look in the mirror and make some difficult decisions. From his scheme on down. What’s the odds two of the worst run stoking performances I’ve ever seen are so n manny ? BYU and bow
Absolutely the best take I’ve seen. And 100% accurate.

By not having jags at dt. The scheme flourished when we had pretty good players inside. But players are only some of the problem , the scheme is played out. It weds adjustments or a lot better players.

If the scheme is truly played out (which I believe), getting better players only marginally improves it and temporarily at that. Throwing 5* players at a flawed scheme only get you 5*s playing like jags. It's probably one reason we have trouble convincing the desirable recruits to come.

When you go against them that match up to better talent (the Bamas and Clemsons of the world), schematic deficiencies always win out. You have to fix the root of the problem first, settle on a scheme that you have confidence minimizes downside exposure. Then get better players that are physically and mentally capable of executing it.

I told the board after the Louisville game, we will continue to struggle with any team that runs an efficient zone running scheme. Our DL have no gap integrity and constantly get reached or leave their primary gap to try and "back door" plays. They''re obviously taught to take the path of least resistance, which is a such a ***** a$$ way to play D-line. It's little league ****. I got a couple kids who do that BS right now. Frustrates the **** out of me.
DL is not the position you play if you wanna avoid physical conflict, but that's what we do at Miami now. When's the last time you seen one of our interior D-linemen use their hands, stay in a gap and shed a blocker to make a play? Playing this way gets you occasional TFL's, especially against inferior opponents, but at some point you have to play DL like a grown a$$ man or OC's are gonna just let your DL run themselves out of plays.

We got killed by counter plays too, and there's other reasons for that.

Advertisement
I told the board after the Louisville game, we will continue to struggle with any team that runs an efficient zone running scheme. Our DL have no gap integrity and constantly get reached or leave their primary gap to try and "back door" plays. They''re obviously taught to take the path of least resistance, which is a such a ***** a$$ way to play D-line. It's little league ****. I got a couple kids who do that BS right now. Frustrates the **** out of me.
DL is not the position you play if you wanna avoid physical conflict, but that's what we do at Miami now. When's the last time you seen one of our interior D-linemen use their hands, stay in a gap and shed a blocker to make a play? Playing this way gets you occasional TFL's, especially against inferior opponents, but at some point you have to play DL like a grown a$$ man or OC's are gonna just let your DL run themselves out of plays.

We got killed by counter plays too, and there's other reasons for that.
Like I said “ Willis , Norton and McIntosh covered up a lot”

If the scheme is truly played out (which I believe), getting better players only marginally improves it and temporarily at that. Throwing 5* players at a flawed scheme only get you 5*s playing like jags. It's probably one reason we have trouble convincing the desirable recruits to come.

When you go against them that match up to better talent (the Bamas and Clemsons of the world), schematic deficiencies always win out. You have to fix the root of the problem first, settle on a scheme that you have confidence minimizes downside exposure. Then get better players that are physically and mentally capable of executing it.
I think it definitely has a lot to do with recruiting , especially at cb. Why would a great man corner come here to run zone and to be used like an undersized safety ? The staff talks tackling more than coverage.

I’d bet anything scheme is used against us in recruiting.

I think it definitely has a lot to do with recruiting , especially at cb. Why would a great man corner come here to run zone and to be used like an undersized safety ? The staff talks tackling more than coverage.

Its almost like High School Players, especially cornerbacks, dont pick us because they know that our scheme will kill them.

Advertisement

@Cribby Oh the irony of this point above

UNC pulled their guards every play. I’ve always been taught to chase the pulling guard, they will lead you to the ball... didn’t see a single DT chase a pulling guard.
Not only pulling their guard but they were pulling their LT and putting Roche in backside pursuit and basically took him out of the play. LT kept getting to the 2nd level and blowing up the LBs and the RB was in the 3rd level over and over.

We should have been blitzing that gap and beating the LT there and letting the S come down and clean it up behind him and but we didn’t try it early (Or the LB just wasn’t quick enough to read it). Then, when we did, Amari was late and then on top of that completely whiffed. The only other way to defend that is your DTs to blow up the interior or get your DE to drop or stunt inside (knowing it’s 11 v 10 if he pursues himself out of the play).

Phillips and Gil also refused to set the other edge and focused more on trying to make plays and pad stats and McCloud was completely incapable of doing anything on the edge. They isolated him and exposed him.

I think in the first counter run, the LT was pulled thru the A gap and he didnt even touch anyone until two yards downfield when he blocked 44. RB went right behind him for a huge game.

This can happen once or so, but that happened like 12 times.

Advertisement
Back