We keep talking Lb’s

Cribby

All-American
Premium
You do know the Dl is what keeps them clean right?

The dl has been average , especially inside. We have average dt’s that we overrated as good. Hunte is the only one who looks like a difference maker, but he’s not complete ( yet). Yeah the lb’s suck but a really good dl would keep Ol from eating them alive every play.

Philips and the rest of these guys put up smoke in mirrors stats in this scheme , that’s just facts. There’s no gap integrity or discipline to this scheme. That’s why many call it a “ gimmick”.

Just go look at all the plays we’d had a tfl but Philips and others wanted the sack to pad stats, while running by the ball carrier. Rushing the qb is something you earn when you stop the run. Well....not at Miami.

As I said other day “ I never know how good our dl is from playing in this scheme”. Yesterday was more proof.

Manny needs to take a long , hard look in the mirror and make some difficult decisions. From his scheme on down. What’s the odds two of the worst run stopping performances I’ve ever seen are on manny ? BYU and now Unc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think last season somebody did a breakdown on how the pre snap alignment by our LBs took them out of several plays, I don't remember details, but I was reminded of that yesterday.
Seeing our DEs 7 yeards upfield, our DTs getting easily moved and our LBs lost on which gap to attack over and over was demoralizing;

Yes no gap integrity guys make me wonder if our d-line is too aggressive taking themselves out of running plays, That's why we see soo many offside penalties as well, but we need a more sound defensive 4-3 scheme for 2021. As a head coach you take full accountability and make those tough decisions. Manny did it last year with the offense now he has to do it this off season with the defense he has no choice

Yes no gap integrity guys make me wonder if our d-line is too aggressive taking themselves out of running plays, That's why we see soo many offside penalties as well, but we need a more sound defensive 4-3 scheme for 2021. As a head coach you take full accountability and make those tough decisions. Manny did it last year with the offense now he has to do it this off season with the defense he has no choice
The DL was nowhere to be found while the lb’s ( who suck) are being left to fight off the ol and make tackles in space. Ford , Nesta , Miller and the rest are meh. They can’t get up field or blow plays up in the backfield consistently in a scheme that you should. Our best d was when Willis was here. The rest of the dl are inconsistent and meh. You need dominant hosses inside , of not you’re f’d. A gimmicky D can’t fix it.

Advertisement
Nesta is so overrated by this board cuz his gold teeth and "dawg" mentality its not even funny. He's not half the player Gerald Willis was.
Ford is a JAG
Miller i had high hopes for but havent seen much
Hunte has potential but i question if he'll actually take the next step. Worried he's a better pashing rushing DT on 3rd downs than dominant run stopper.
Who else we have at DT? Holley can dance at least, maybe he gets a shot at dancing with the stars one day

Nesta is so overrated by this board cuz his gold teeth and "dawg" mentality its not even funny. He's not half the player Gerald Willis was.
Ford is a JAG
Miller i had high hopes for but havent seen much
Hunte has potential but i question if he'll actually take the next step. Worried he's a better pashing rushing DT on 3rd downs than dominant run stopper.
Who else we have at DT? Holley can dance at least, maybe he gets a shot at dancing with the stars one day
I’ve never got the Nesta hype. He disappears games at a time then does stupid *** **** like grabbing a face masks while on the ground, It’s like he tries to be a Jerome Brown type while not having substance. More of a impersonation of a 80-90’s um dl.

The dl has been average , especially inside. We have average dt’s that we overrated as good. Hunte is the only one who looks like a difference maker, but he’s not complete ( yet). Yeah the lb’s suck but a really good dl would keep Ol from eating them alive every play.

Philips and the rest of these guys put up smoke in mirrors stats in this scheme , that’s just facts. There’s no gap integrity or discipline to this scheme. That’s why many call it a “ gimmick”.

Just go look at all the plays we’d had a tfl but Philips and others wanted the sack to pad stats, while running by the ball carrier. Rushing the qb is something you earn when you stop the run. Well....not at Miami.

As I said other day “ I never know how good our dl is from playing in this scheme”. Yesterday was more proof.

Manny needs yo take a long , hard look in the mirror and make some difficult decisions. From his scheme on down. What’s the odds two of the worst run stoking performances I’ve ever seen are so n manny ? BYU and bow

I've said the exact same thing in several other threads, including a response to DMoney, and did as well throughout the year in gameday threads.

This Dline plays without a cohesive plan, without gap integrity, without proper fundamentals like hand usage and body positioning and care only about their own stats. It looks like half the time they are doing their own thing, picking whichever gap they want to attack and allowing the OL to easily push aside. Back side pursuit is garbage for most as well. I do give Nesta credit for this bc he chases. He has other flaws but he chases.

The coaches don't help though running DT stunts on 1st and 10. I laugh when i see a 300 pounder standing straight up at the snap and looking sideways while the 2 OGs and C open up a hole so big Tom Brady could run through it for 15 yards.

For as great as Phillips can be at times, has 3 incredibly bad habits:
- he ducks inside far too often, sometimes with his head down, easily giving up the edge
- he rushes upfield out of control and runs right past the play when he should be following the down block and splitting the difference between the ball and LOS.
- he rushes upfield and turns his shoulder to take on the lead blocker, completely eliminating himself from the play. whoever taught him that technique should be fired.

Advertisement
I’ve never got the Nesta hype. He disappears games at a time then does stupid *** **** like grabbing a face masks while on the ground, It’s like he tries to be a Jerome Brown type while not having substance. More of a impersonation of a 80-90’s um dl.
Sounds like anyone we know?

You hit the nail on the head with the scheme being a gimmick. If just like a fast-paced spread offense that using tempo and eye candy to confuse a defense. In manny’s case he uses fast twitch players to stunt gaps in hopes of one of the lineman or linebackers coming through to disrupt the play in the back field. Just like in the spread offense if a player on the opposing team misses an assignment and the QB catches it it’s to the house.

Best defense for yesterday would of been base. Should of went cover 2 man if he was so afraid of getting beat deep. Could of went single high to add a additional man in the box. I don’t get it mane, I really do not see what these coaches are seeing to think what they are doing is working.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I said this week our Dline would be the key to the game. They got run over and so did the rest of the team. It all starts in the trenches on both sides.

When Nesta grabbed the face mask on the ground I knew it was over. He was getting whipped up front and had to resort to some ***** **** like that. And when that’s what you get from your best DT, well you know you’re in for a long day. Please let Taylor be all that we hope he is. We need it bad.

Manny needs yo take a long , hard look in the mirror and make some difficult decisions. From his scheme on down. What’s the odds two of the worst run stoking performances I’ve ever seen are so n manny ? BYU and bow
The DT's were not the problem although they didn't get much push in the passing game to make Howell uncomfortable. We don't play a scheme were the DT's eat up double teams for the LBs so there's always a blocker for the LB to avoid. We rely on LBs diagnosis and speed to avoid blocks which the starting LBs are slow and incapable of doing because they're too slow athletically and too slow at diagnosing plays. It's the LBs job to make the plays in the run game. Our LBs were either getting blocked at the 2nd level or over pursuing the play because they were literally just running to a spot when the ball was hiked since they're too **** slow to react and make a play. So, they were just guessing and guessing wrong meanwhile the UNC RBs just cutback to the wide open holes. There was zero gap integrity by the LBs. In fact, the entire defense was over pursuing the running plays and giving little effort to make the tackles.

This is absolutely inexcusable to have LBs playing let alone starting who don't have the skillset and atheticism to play Miami football. This is Baker's and Diaz's area. They are responsible for the recruiting, coaching, and the development of the LBs. I like our young LBs, but the cupboard should have never been bare not having LBs ready to contribute for any of the past 5 years given Diaz was the DC for 3 years and HC for 2.

Last edited:
You guys still taking schemes and position groups after the players just showed you what they think of the HC? This will keep happening every year when we have a nerd HC the players don’t respect.
The problem is obviously at the top , “the administration”. The majority of this board lost their **** when he was hired ( myself included). That’s why I stay away from killing manny or the dc. I go after Blake and people above him.

But fact is manny is here and obviously won’t be fired even though everything says there’s problems. From scheme , lack of of game changers ( recruiting ) , players quitting , no discipline and obviously no respect for the coach. Just go back to Hill last year , dude walked away from manny mid sentence while he was “ disciplining “ him.

The scheme is more a representation of the coach , who’s a representation of Blake James who’s a representation of who hired him.

We’re here because there’s no leadership in the program , they just like that acc tv money.

So yeah , scheme is more a symptom.
The DT's were not the problem although they didn't get much push in the passing game to make Howell uncomfortable. It's the LBs job to make the plays in the run game. Our LBs were either getting blocked at the 2nd level or over pursuing the play because they were literally just running to a spot when the ball was hiked while UNC RBs just cutback to the wide open holes. There was zero gap integrity by the LBs. In fact, the entire defense was over pursuing the running plays and giving little effort to make the tackles.

What?

Unc’s ol was on the second level with our dl nowhere to be found. I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Advertisement
Back