We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

Advertisement
It's not that Lashlee is my guy, he's one of the OC's I listed who would be good here, but the point is the Superstar guaranteed big name OC yall are wanting for ain't coming here.

There are dozens of good OC's at programs that aren't **** & well known, whether or not Diaz can find them simply rests upon how much work he's willing to put in order to find them.

Idk who this fantastical OC that you're hoping we land, but I can guarantee you whoever he is or wherever he is, he didn't roll out of bed being an elite play caller at a P5 school.

Every single good OC in college ball started out at some small FCS school or even came outta HS. None of them begin as the OC for P5 championship team.

Lashlee is a significant upgrade from Enox, is he gonna lead us to being an undefeated playoff team, no, of course not, but can he orchestrate an offense good enough for us to win the coastal? Absolutely.

And not just Lashlee either, there's about 10-15 OC's I could name who if they ran their offense here could win us the Coastal. The fact is Joe Brady ain't ****** coming here, he's headed back to the NFL as soon as a good opportunity comes calling, so the Brady or bust method is little unrealistic for fans to expect.

All of this is the reason I think it'd be wise for us to try and find a real Co-OC situation. Two guys with autonomy over the offense, two minds game planning, and you can find some better position coaches along the way because they are going to be Co-OC. Think Co-OC/QBC and Co-OC/WRC or Co-OC/OLC. I think we'd get more for our dollar. Find someone a bit safer...find someone thats a little more risky that can bring some energy. Bring a complete new style and structure to the team. If you gave me some **** like Rob Sale/Ken Dorsey (just because its timely since I posted that thread), I could be sold on something changing significantly...and I'm just spitballing, here, not putting a hot take out there, but something where you're splitting duties might be more beneficial for a team in our current situation.

We've got a culture issue, too. Dan Enos was ******* horrendous for a multitude of reasons, but you had players actively participating in a mutiny against him, too.

Lol don't leak this out and hire someone none of us have heard of. Hopefully he's our guy because he would have a deeper pool of asst coaches than some of the other names we have heard

Last edited:
Although what went down at Auburn could be a red flag...guy is a quality OC with a good track record, much better than Enos'. Experience with spread and air raid concepts, uptempo, experience working with QBs.

Considering the pressure that Manny and Flake James are under, I'd actually be surprised if the program could actually get a guy with his pedigree in here.

If they'd get him, even if you'd argue that it's not a home run hire, even the most pessimistic fans would be stupid to say it's anything other than a standup double. Plus, his style of offense is what we've been wanting to see at Miami for the last decade plus...

Advertisement
Every OC with a good Red Zone & 3rd down offense came from a small school before they hit the P5 level, that's my point.

There are no ready made X's & O's gurus, they start out at small under the radar schools & then coaches who do their due diligence & are smart enough with vision & foresight see that this coach at whichever school would do a good job on my staff & help my team win.

Chad Morris was a HS coach in Texas, no college experience at all before he got hired at Tulsa & was at Tulsa for just one year before Dabo hired at Clemson. Same with Art Briles, only coached HS in TX before Leach found him & brought him in to TTech.

Imagine if Dabo & Leach were like, "you're a good coach, but you don't have any P5 experience on national title team so I can't hire you"...

In order to find good coaches, you have to research & be willing to take a chance.

lincoln riley was at ECU no?

Advertisement
S
I liked the post but more the backstory of why he left. No opinion of him as a coach since I haven’t followed since he left Auburn.

Gus was his mentor and was Lashlee’s high school football coach. Auburn is hard to judge any OC or offensive assistant because Malzahn is such a control freak.

I just don’t see him moving his family (wife and young twin boys (probably 7-8) and twin girls (probably 4) with the question of Diaz’s future.
I think that's the biggest question. He has Buechele coming back for one more season and that's far more of a sure thing than anything we have going right now.

Advertisement
I’d love it, he runs a spread , uptempo with some of malzahns stuff and Pat Sullivan too. He just has way better route concepts than malzahn. Spent time with dykes so I’m sure he learned some air raid stuff. Good mixture imo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I liked the post but more the backstory of why he left. No opinion of him as a coach since I haven’t followed since he left Auburn.

Gus was his mentor and was Lashlee’s high school football coach. Auburn is hard to judge any OC or offensive assistant because Malzahn is such a control freak.

I just don’t see him moving his family (wife and young twin boys (probably 7-8) and twin girls (probably 4) with the question of Diaz’s future.
When his wife finds out his salary will triple, shell pack the boxes and book the tickets herself.

Just because he interviewed dont mean he is getting job. Sure applewhite will get interview maybe even butch jones from bama. Doubt rich rod is even a canidate. Maybe guy from princeton? Then we end up with Ponce..lol

Smu put up 28 points twice last season and that was their lowest point total in all their games.

We put up 28 3 times and 1 of those was to Bethune Cookman. The other 2 were Louisville and Va Tech. Not to mention they hung 45 on a ranked Temple team

Smu defense was horrible...our defense is very respectable. Imagine if we could keep them off the field a little bit and allow them to play with a lead...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back