We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

Canada's offense doesn't fit our personnel & his play calling is what I don't like.

He's a perfect fit for the Pitt's & NC ST's of the world, he's not a Miami style OC imo, his scheme doesn't play to our strengths & give us an advantage.

We need High octane fast tempo offense, not bland middle of the road multiple RPO bro-style, it's too close to Richt & Enox. We need to evolve & stop trying to run that offense, it doesn't work for us.
I actually see some advantages with our personnel in what he does by getting playmakers touches at all positions. He adapts to personnel go see what he did with Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin and then What he did at Pitt. And he mixes tempo, he doesn’t go fast at the snap ever play like you want but he doesn’t fully huddle every play either he actually preaches lining up fast so that he can run shifts and motion.

Richt, Enos, and Canada are all different. 😂 you know that. Go check out the last OBB podcast with Brad Kaya he explained what they were doing under Richt.

We will just agree to disagree on this one but I respect your side of the argument. Healthy football talk!

Advertisement
When his wife finds out his salary will triple, shell pack the boxes and book the tickets herself.
Good point but I would imagine the cost of living here is more than Dallas. Heck he made $700,000 at Auburn so she definitely is used to a lower cost of living. He took a $250,000 pay cut when he went to Connecticut. No idea what he makes at SMU since a private school. Most were shocked he took the pay cut. I honestly think he was the scapegoat of Gus’ control. It was a smart move for Lashlee in order to advance his career no doubt.

I'm inclined to defer to 1775's opinion on this, but the video I posted earlier has some interesting stuff in it from what SMU does on offense.

Advertisement
Smu put up 28 points twice last season and that was their lowest point total in all their games.

We put up 28 3 times and 1 of those was to Bethune Cookman. The other 2 were Louisville and Va Tech. Not to mention they hung 45 on a ranked Temple team

Smu defense was horrible...our defense is very respectable. Imagine if we could keep them off the field a little bit and allow them to play with a lead...

Agaisnt Va Tech, one of those TDs came on a Hail Mary too

It's not that Lashlee is my guy, he's one of the OC's I listed who would be good here, but the point is the Superstar guaranteed big name OC yall are wanting for ain't coming here.

There are dozens of good OC's at programs that aren't **** & well known, whether or not Diaz can find them simply rests upon how much work he's willing to put in order to find them.

Idk who this fantastical OC that you're hoping we land, but I can guarantee you whoever he is or wherever he is, he didn't roll out of bed being an elite play caller at a P5 school.

Every single good OC in college ball started out at some small FCS school or even came outta HS. None of them begin as the OC for P5 championship team.

Lashlee is a significant upgrade from Enox, is he gonna lead us to being an undefeated playoff team, no, of course not, but can he orchestrate an offense good enough for us to win the coastal? Absolutely.

And not just Lashlee either, there's about 10-15 OC's I could name who if they ran their offense here could win us the Coastal. The fact is Joe Brady ain't ****** coming here, he's headed back to the NFL as soon as a good opportunity comes calling, so the Brady or bust method is little unrealistic for fans to expect.
I hope and pray (Lord, I know you hear us!) that CMD is reading your posts!

If CMD hires the a decent OC (like the ones you’ve already mentioned) and we win 9 games next year and are competitive in the others (with an up-tempo, big play type offense), he guarantees himself another 2 years and recruiting will likely pick up! For no other reason than job security should CMD be reading your posts!!!

Continue preaching and teaching LCE!!!

Advertisement
I liked the post but more the backstory of why he left. No opinion of him as a coach since I haven’t followed since he left Auburn.

Gus was his mentor and was Lashlee’s high school football coach. Auburn is hard to judge any OC or offensive assistant because Malzahn is such a control freak.

I just don’t see him moving his family (wife and young twin boys (probably 7-8) and twin girls (probably 4) with the question of Diaz’s future.
This man has two sets of twins?

1578011104754.jpeg

Advertisement
SMU had a great season and they were exciting. They were one of the first teams to buy a machine called "The Seeker," which is basically a jugs machine on steroids. Can put it on the outside shoulder 45 yards down the field, for example, if they want to practice that. All of a sudden their WRs flourished.

As for stats, SMU ranked 80th of 130 in rush percentage and right around 50%. But they were 35th in rush attempts per game (41), because they were 3rd in the nation at plays per game (81).

Creative pass attack, plays fast, 40 rush attempts per game. At this point I have no opinion one way or the other, but he checks a lot of the boxes.

''''''''We need to evolve & stop trying to run that offense, it doesn't work for us.'''''

Been saying this for over 10 years.

‘what offense is that? Smh the offense Richt ran is the Same one everyone clamoring for now spread with tempo at times. Don’t kid yourself, did you not watch the offense he ran with Kaaya and Rosier or are you labeling it something different to fit a narrative?

All the pieces to the puzzle matter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’d love it, he runs a spread , uptempo with some of malzahns stuff and Pat Sullivan too. He just has way better route concepts than malzahn. Spent time with dykes so I’m sure he learned some air raid stuff. Good mixture imo.
Underrated post, this guy is advancing (learning, growing, adapting) - he’s not perfect but prolly the best we can do right now.
After hearing Blake’s interview, I wouldn’t be surprised if this isn’t Mario pulling strings behind the scenes for his return.

SMU had a great season and they were exciting. They were one of the first teams to buy a machine called "The Seeker," which is basically a jugs machine on steroids. Can put it on the outside shoulder 45 yards down the field, for example, if they want to practice that. All of a sudden their WRs flourished.

Advertisement
Back