We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

Advertisement
Some are getting triggered by my lack of enthusiasm over Lashlee. @MIATL gave some interesting context to Lashlee's tenure.

Maybe the guy would be great. I just don't look at those numbers while he was at Auburn and give him a pass.

If he is named OC, I will support him and adjust as evidence presents itself.

Pay them enough, and you can get one.

Manny Diaz isnt, nor will he ever be Dabo Swinney. He's not savvy enough to find the right ones. Lashlee's career as an OC...40th, 96th, 83rd, 37th, 86th, 10th, 8th, 20th in yards per play.

Those years at Auburn, Lashlee was never in full control. From an article after he left Auburn:

“He’s always going to be involved in the offense. It is what it is,” Lashlee said. “There is nothing wrong with that. He knew I was at the point where I wanted to be in full control. We had talked about it for a few years, and it just became time. Sometimes it’s hard to put into words, but you know it’s time to branch off and develop and try to develop further as a coach. It just made sense.”

Since he's been his own man...at UConn and SMU, I'm not sure I see what makes him a good candidate. Average on his best day Group of 5 playcaller. I guess he'd fit right in.
If Miami runs his offense that he ran this season at SMU we would've won 11 games in our sleep.

Advertisement
Name one play all year that a WR was as wide open as in that clip? We need a scheme that gets our WR open, because those cats are not getting separation on their own. Color me impressed with this guy from what I have read.

Texas hired Yurcich.
Penn State hired Kirk Ciarocca

I really don't care about total offense. Those types of numbers can be skewed for a wide variety of reasons.

I'm a yard per guy. Those are more significant identifiers. His are average.

They were 31 this season at 6.1, improvement over his first season of 4.9
What differed between his stuff at Auburn and SMU?

Auburn had Malzahn giving him the reach around

Advertisement
Here are 24/7 recruiter rankings for Lashlee

Was first in his conference until Scott was hired from Clemson

If Miami runs his offense that he ran this season at SMU we would've won 11 games in our sleep.
That's what I'm operating off of. Coordinators can change and get better. Despite Manny's 1st year as a HC, he is a respected and proven DC. However, he wasn't always respected. He was fired from Texas and was a part of that infamous BYU game, where the Mormons ran all over his D. But, he refurbed is career at a couple other schools, and then yada, yada, he became a top 10 DC.

Similarly, it looks like Lashlee took his lumps, learned a lot of lessons and as Liberty said, if he was our OC this year, we win 11 games and maybe more. We would've still gotten smashed by Clemson, but they're hardly an accurate measurement of a team coming off of a 7-6 year.

I hope it's him, Yost, the OKST OC or Fedora.

Advertisement
Texas hired Yurcich.
Penn State hired Kirk Ciarocca

I really don't care about total offense. Those types of numbers can be skewed for a wide variety of reasons.

I'm a yard per guy. Those are more significant identifiers. His are average.
Yurcich was a guy Mike Gundy found from Shippensburg...

Ciarocca was a Princeton, Delaware & Penn guy before ever hitting the D1 ranks.

Advertisement
What differed between his stuff at Auburn and SMU?
Play calling & play design.

He wasn't the main play caller at Auburn, he was OC in name but Malzahn called the plays.

At SMU Sonny Dykes gave him autonomy to call the plays this season & they wound up winning 10 games for the first time since 1984.

Is he the perfect OC? Of course not, but is he better than dudes like Matt Canada? A resounding yes.

Yurcich was a guy Mike Gundy found from Shippensburg...

Ciarocca was a Princeton, Delaware & Penn guy before ever hitting the D1 ranks.

Listen man, you're preaching to the choir...

I was the guy who first mentioned Sean Gleeson last year. I've mentioned numerous under the radar candidates over the past few years for a multitude of positions.

The problem is, Manny Diaz stinks and can't identify them. He could log on here and get more information then anywhere he's currently been getting it, because the names we keep hearing connected to him are not great.

...and none of that means that Rhett Lashlee still doesn't stink. If thats your guy, I guess we can expect this regime to wrap up their time here by November, so I guess thats the silver lining.

Advertisement
Back