We have less talent than other teams?

Advertisement
The "talent" argument is the biggest crock of **** going.

Blaming kids like AJ Highsmith for this ******* failure. It's embarrassing. Duke would be ******* thrilled to have a kid as good as AJ Highsmith or Cornelius...or whoever the **** else some of our fans want to blame.

While I agree talent isn't an issue I wouldn't go that far. Highsmith and Cornelius are terrible players but its on Golden and D'O because they still play them. I can say without doubt that Highsmith isn't a D1 safety.

I may be overstating my point, but **** I hate the talent excuse with a passion

The fact is, this WHOLE COACHING STAFF does not have the knowledge to adjust to the style of offenses or defenses we play... With the $ coaches are getting paid today, miami will never be able to compete for a national title... There are highschool teams in florida especially in miami, that would not give up almost 400 yds rushing against duke...

I love how people keep blaming our offense for the defense being tired. When Randy took over, I would buy this argument because our offense was trash and you could see the players were tired by the 4th qtr. Perfect example of this was the UF game in 2009. We held the game close all the way until the 4th quarter.

The problem with blaming the offense is our defense should not be tired in the first quarter. Even if our offense turned the ball over on the first play, our defense should not be tired on the 2nd or 3rd drive. On top of that, our offense had decent sustained drives against Duke. We threw for almost 400 yds. Morris threw for over 60%. Face it people, our defense just sucks.

As far as the talent goes, we are not elite, but some of you are fooled into thinking we don't have the same talent in recruiting as a Duke type of team. Now the players in the end might not have turned out as good as Duke's players, but thats on the coaches and their player development.

Blaming kids like AJ Highsmith for this ******* failure. It's embarrassing. Duke would be ******* thrilled to have a kid as good as AJ Highsmith or Cornelius...or whoever the **** else some of our fans want to blame.

While I agree talent isn't an issue I wouldn't go that far. Highsmith and Cornelius are terrible players but its on Golden and D'O because they still play them. I can say without doubt that Highsmith isn't a D1 safety.

I do as well. As bad as Highsmith and Cornelius are, they would be more successful in a different system.

Advertisement
Anyone who says its talent deserves to get kicked in the nuts with steel tipped boots. Everyone knows we don't have Bama's talent. No one is saying we do, but no one in their right mind can argue we don't have enough talent to not make complete fools of themselves. 350 rushing yards to Duke? Logan Thomas a Heisman candidate? Our talent is not that bad.

without question we do not have talent to keep up with FSU and other teams in the top 25.. ****, we should have lost to UNC, and Wake also and lost to . Duke and VT . Some is coaching, no doubt, but we are in serious need of an increase of talented player.

We are the most talented team in the Coastal and that's all that matters. No one in here was expecting us to compete for a title this year.

How did these guys turn temple kids into productive nfl players? I don't get what's happening down here now

Well maybe the new guys are better...they barely lost to the 2nd best team in Florida yesterday...Temple that is.

Advertisement
We have a qb who sucks Makes horrible plays then walks off field like it don't bother him. This team gave up on him. Leadership matters. Tebow was not most talented guy but his teammates believed in him

The it's not the coaches its the talent people are idiots. Last year they all said it was because we had a bunch of 1st and 2nd year inexperienced players. A year later, now we're playing 2nd and 3rd year players and statistically our defense is worse.

Not true. The class of 2011 was royally ****ed by Randy, Golden came in with no commits to even hold on to. The only 3rd year players we have on defense are

Chickillo (overrated legacy)
Perryman (stud)
Pierre (2* kid we stole from Temple)
Armbrister (late summer addition NOBODY else was even interested in, let alone offered)
King (not even playing...)

So we´re actually playing those 4 third year players, some Shannon leftovers and Golden´s 1st and 2nd year kids. Does that excuse our **** poor performance against DUKE? Of course not. But let´s not exaggerate. Our experienced talent and depth is godawful.

I would love to have Plantation´s own Jeremy Cash on our defense.

Last edited:
Come on Lu answer this one?
''Now plug in our 2001 Defensive players to Dorito's game plan, how many games do we lose? Now plug in today's kids on D into the 2001 teams defense. How many games does that 2001 team lose now. It's much more on the players than the coaches. Those kids on the 2001 team would have dominated, didn't matter who was coaching them or who they were playing. We have average or below average players on D this year, we have to deal with it, the truth hurts. Will some be better next year? Probably! Anyone???????

Players aren't put in a position to succeed, simple as that.

I've been beating the "I'm concerned about our PHILOSOPHY" drum since the beginning of the season. Probably 50% of the posts I've made out of concern are about philosophy. The reason is really simple. It's based out of some of the comments from players themselves.

I drew up the concern into basically a scenario and post last week: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...8-pillars-Football-Scenario?highlight=pillars

Philosophy and Trust. My hope is that Coach Golden will be practical and adjust those aspects. I don't know if he will. That stuff is usually embedded in people's DNA. We'll see.

Advertisement
''Now plug in our 2001 Defensive players to Dorito's game plan, how many games do we lose? Now plug in today's kids on D into the 2001 teams defense. How many games does that 2001 team lose now. It's much more on the players than the coaches. Those kids on the 2001 team would have dominated, didn't matter who was coaching them or who they were playing. We have average or below average players on D this year, we have to deal with it, the truth hurts. Will some be better next year? Probably! Anyone???????

I've been beating the "I'm concerned about our PHILOSOPHY" drum since the beginning of the season. Probably 50% of the posts I've made out of concern are about philosophy. The reason is really simple. It's based out of some of the comments from players themselves.

I drew up the concern into basically a scenario and post last week: http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...8-pillars-Football-Scenario?highlight=pillars

Philosophy and Trust. My hope is that Coach Golden will be practical and adjust those aspects. I don't know if he will. That stuff is usually embedded in people's DNA. We'll see.

I tell you if you flip schemes that 2001 would be worse and this defense would be better, maybe not great, but far better.

You forget that its not just about talent but the TYPE of player needed for each scheme.

3-4 Two gap requires big powerful players. 4-3 1 gap cover2 man requires smaller faster athletes.

Vilma, Williams, etc are not 2 gap backers.

Only guys in that 2001 squad that could play both schemes effectively are Vince Wilfork and our defensive backs.

Back to the point of effort versus lack of effort, it's similar to Tampa Bay routing the Falcons today. That pointspread favorite changed hands in a big way, with a ton of money on the Buccaneers. I have friends who arrogantly bet against the public money. They were chirping about the Falcons a few hours ago. Now I won't hear from them. That result has nothing to do with comparative talent level. Atlanta's expectations were in one place two months ago, now completely different. Same with the Canes. They undoubtedly had the same impression as many fans here, that the #7 ranking was legit, that winning at Florida State wasn't an impossibility, and a BCS berth was a likelihood. Now that reality has struck, the trend line is even more dramatic than any projection would have it. That's the way it normally works.

Sometimes the simple angle succeeds, that the team on the uptick overachieves and particularly when facing a team headed in the opposite direction. I'm not excusing our lack of intensity but it's foolish to deny that's what is causing the personnel to look so inept. Yesterday I didn't think the defense had any effort at all other than a handful of plays. And they were noticeable beforehand. One was just before halftime. Duke got the ball up 21-20 and screwed around for a couple of plays. When they finally called time out with maybe 18 seconds remaining and seemed determined to extend the lead in cheap fashion, our defensive line somehow perked up before the snap, like they were insulted. Sure enough, we stuffed that play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are the most talented team in the Coastal and that's all that matters. No one in here was expecting us to compete for a title this year.

lol
You disagree?

You think VaTech, Georgia Tech or Duke have more talent than us?

Agree, Miami has more talent than anyone not named FSU or Clemson. The missing part is good coaching.

Not that it's an excuse but both VT and Dyke got every **** break in those games. Yesterday it was a crappy interception and a real ****** spot on a punt just to name two. Throw in one of the remaining game breakers in Coley getting hurt and ...

Back to the point of effort versus lack of effort, it's similar to Tampa Bay routing the Falcons today. That pointspread favorite changed hands in a big way, with a ton of money on the Buccaneers. I have friends who arrogantly bet against the public money. They were chirping about the Falcons a few hours ago. Now I won't hear from them. That result has nothing to do with comparative talent level. Atlanta's expectations were in one place two months ago, now completely different. Same with the Canes. They undoubtedly had the same impression as many fans here, that the #7 ranking was legit, that winning at Florida State wasn't an impossibility, and a BCS berth was a likelihood. Now that reality has struck, the trend line is even more dramatic than any projection would have it. That's the way it normally works.

Sometimes the simple angle succeeds, that the team on the uptick overachieves and particularly when facing a team headed in the opposite direction. I'm not excusing our lack of intensity but it's foolish to deny that's what is causing the personnel to look so inept. Yesterday I didn't think the defense had any effort at all other than a handful of plays. And they were noticeable beforehand. One was just before halftime. Duke got the ball up 21-20 and screwed around for a couple of plays. When they finally called time out with maybe 18 seconds remaining and seemed determined to extend the lead in cheap fashion, our defensive line somehow perked up before the snap, like they were insulted. Sure enough, we stuffed that play.

Man what the **** you talking about?

That 2001 team looks worse playing the style (more importantly) and the scheme we're currently playing. They played with upfield guys who could barely stay in their lane in a completely free-wheeling scheme! So, your point is weak. Nevertheless, apparently you're saying we need a group of 7 1st round picks on one side of the ball for something to work. That says it all. Thank you. We're done here.

Advertisement
Back