We go no worse than 10-2 next season

Advertisement
6 - 6. The offense is a dumpster fire and the defense likely takes a step back. If nothing else, losing Willis will have an impact. Miss me with the "ACC Coastal is weak" talking point. It's always weak. It was weak this year. How did that work out for us?

We went 4-2 in the coastal this year.
(No, I'm not happy about it)
We play Central Michigan and 2 other non p5 opponents.
Even with a similar futile year in the Coastal, we start at 7 wins.
(No, I'm not happy about that either).

@redrum234, The issues with the team go beyond talent. The 2018 Miami Hurricanes had the "talent" to arguably win every game on the regular season schedule. At the very least, with the talent on the roster, they should have won the Coastal. Instead, we lost 5 games, 4 in conference to the likes of BC, Duke, GT, and UVA - schools that we have consistently out-recruited for decades. I cannot be convinced the 2018 Hurricanes did not have the talent to soundly win each of those ACC match-ups. But here we are, at 7-5 walking into the Pinstripe Bowl against Wisconsin.

Not because of lack of talent. You can go through the roster and try to explain why you think we win 10 games in 2019. But until I have even the slightest indication next year's Miami Hurricanes will have a different playcaller, with some different offensive coaches, and a different offensive philosophy, any discussion of the "talent" on the roster, IMHO, completely misses the mark.

By analogy, I can go shopping and get the best ingredients possible for a chef to cook me a meal. But if he's a cognitively impaired old man with dementia who believes the cooking pot is a toilet, my meal is still going to taste like ****.

1545323567810.png

Advertisement
@redrum234, The issues with the team go beyond talent. The 2018 Miami Hurricanes had the "talent" to arguably win every game on the regular season schedule. At the very least, with the talent on the roster, they should have won the Coastal. Instead, we lost 5 games, 4 in conference to the likes of BC, Duke, GT, and UVA - schools that we have consistently out-recruited for decades. I cannot be convinced the 2018 Hurricanes did not have the talent to soundly win each of those ACC match-ups. But here we are, at 7-5 walking into the Pinstripe Bowl against Wisconsin.

Not because of lack of talent. You can go through the roster and try to explain why you think we win 10 games in 2019. But until I have even the slightest indication next year's Miami Hurricanes will have a different playcaller, with some different offensive coaches, and a different offensive philosophy, any discussion of the "talent" on the roster, IMHO, completely misses the mark.

By analogy, I can go shopping and get the best ingredients possible for a chef to cook me a meal. But if he's a cognitively impaired old man with dementia who believes the cooking pot is a toilet, my meal is still going to taste like ****.
Your assumption does not take into consideration the ingredients get better. Which is what I'm saying. Our players will be better next season. We can agree to disagree.

We went 4-2 in the coastal this year.
(No, I'm not happy about it)
We play Central Michigan and 2 other non p5 opponents.
Even with a similar futile year in the Coastal, we start at 7 wins.
(No, I'm not happy about that either).

one of our opponents (first game) is Florida. And they are going in dry. I see them getting better, not worse, under Mullen.

one of our opponents (first game) is Florida. And they are going in dry. I see them getting better, not worse, under Mullen.

I didn't include Florida in my win list.
Doesn't change my realistic minimum of 7.

Advertisement
Your assumption does not take into consideration the ingredients get better. Which is what I'm saying. Our players will be better next season. We can agree to disagree.

In my analogy, I was already assuming the "best ingredients." And I do agree that many of our players will improve next season. But I believe those players (the ingredients) will be squandered unless changes are made to the staff.

But we can absolutely (and civily, which I appreciate) agree to disagree.

I know people gonna roast me for saying this - but I do believe we have the talent on the roster as constructed to win 10 games next year. Here are my reasons:

1. N'Kosi will be a far better QB than he has shown. He no longer has to worry about being pulled. He can play free. Add another 10-15 lbs to his frame and he will get stronger.
2. Lorenzo Lingard is an absolute beast. He will show out once he is healthy. Cam Davis showed how good he can be. DJ Dallas is more than capable. RB depth is a strength for us.
3. Mark Pope, Hightower, Ezzard, Harley, Butter Fingers Wiggins - along with Payton will be a perform to a higher standard.
4. Brevin is an All-America candidate in terms of skill set. Mallory is a perfect compliment.
5. O-Line play cannot get worse - I believe improvement here is expected. Players have more experience and been through the S&C program multiple years. Results will prove that.
6. The defense will see minimal dropoff in my opinion. We signed some dawgs last cycle and they got valuable experience this year. Next year, they will show out.
7. The Coastal is weak. Yes - i know it was weak this year also - but, based on the points above, we will win the type of games we lost this year.

I may be a glass half full type of guy - but, all is not doom and gloom. It may not be ideal right now, but things will improve. We have multiple reasons to think that. Just saying.

B6A91248-D8F2-4F7D-A9E2-B6BFF05C88CC.gif

Whether we win 10 games or not, I do not know. What I do believe regardless of W/L record is that our program has slid and continues to slide. The fixes are pretty obvious. We post about them ad nauseam.

Advertisement
We are going to clean up on early commitments to the class of ‘22.

/then we gone lead in decommitments....

Advertisement
The schedule lines up for a 10-2 record at the very least but this past season was the same way. We'll see what happens. A lot depends on what changes are made regarding play calling since there won't be a new OC hired.

Advertisement
Back