We done with the "Bench Patchan" chatter?

So I’m sure all you coaches know so much more than the Miami coaches because hasn’t Manny been a best player plays guy and prove that so why don’t y’all just shut up and let the coaches do with they do because I’m pretty sure they know more than all of you , I would like to see G. Rousseau ( not sure about spelling) just of potential but if there’s anything we learned with Manny and the coaches best person plays, and what does Patchan being white have to do with anything, come on y’all !!

Advertisement
Patchan is Shayon green part 2 let’s be real, You have a top 3 round talent like Trevon hill and greg Rousseau playing much less snaps than patchan. Use them over even garvin some cases too... For the record I think Patchan has played better than garvin tbh. Patchan is a solid rotational player but still not sold on him being the starter.

On another point.

Through 3 games baker’s defense is looking very Donofrio-ish. Big Donofrio vibes tbqh and I’m alarmed

-Garvin (top de) guarding receivers

- bad linebacker play(**** even perryman made plays in that scheme)

- no pressure whatsoever on the dline

- allowing Big and explosive plays in games vs power 5 comp

-Excessive stunting

- 2 sacks 8 tfls vs Bethune?

- Opponents 5 for 5 on 4th down conversions

Last edited:
UM football has been mediocre for so long, that our fan base defends players like Patchan. That guy has no business playing

whoa...let's settle down with the "he has no business" part.

the greatest DE to every wear the orange and green? no?

has earned the right with performance? absolutely.

Patchan is Shayon green part 2 let’s be real, You have a top 3 round talent like Trevon hill and greg Rousseau playing much less snaps than patchan. Use them over even garvin some cases too... For the record I think Patchan has played better than garvin tbh. Patchan is a solid rotational player but still not sold on him being the starter.

On another point.

Through 3 games baker’s defense is looking very Donofrio-ish. Big Donofrio vibes tbqh and I’m alarmed

-Excessive stunting

- Opponents 5-5 on 4th down conversion

He's gimmicky af and his blitzes don't get home.
He stinks and I don't like him.

Advertisement

On another point.

-Excessive stunting

- Opponents 5-5 on 4th down conversion
Why are we blaming Baker here?
This is Manny's players, defense, scheme and he has overview on playcall. This on him

Some guys would rather see the defense surrender 30 points and 200 yards rushing if it meant they got more sacks and tfls.

Bethune had zero points and didn't even break 100 yards of offense until their final play on Saturday and people want to ***** about the defensive performance? I get it, they're a crap team but that's exactly what you're supposed to do against a crap team.

They held North Carolina to 2.7 yards per rush but we're going to blame Patchan and Garvin for the defensive backs allowing 300 yards on only 25 pass attempts? Do they have to sack the quarterback EVERY single time? If Patchan had been a better cornerback maybe he wouldn't have given up that 65 yard touchdown to a guy who was so open, I could have thrown the pass. ****, they blew the game because they were so desperate to get pressure on 4th and 17 that they blitzed. Not that it mattered it was another BLOWN coverage with two Miami DBs standing next to each other while the North Carolina WR was WIDE OPEN for the easiest 4th and 17 conversion ever.

They held Florida, the team we all said "we have to stop their running game" to 50 rushing yards and a 1.8 ypc average. Was it the defensive ends that allowed Kadarius Toney to go 66 yards for a touchdown reception while breaking about 5 tackles? Or did they allow a bum like Josh Hammond to average over 20 yards a catch?

From what I've seen so far, is a defensive line that's controlling their opponents and shutting down their run game with defensive backs allowing big plays in the passing game too often.

Some guys would rather see the defense surrender 30 points and 200 yards rushing if it meant they got more sacks and tfls.

Bethune had zero points and didn't even break 100 yards of offense until their final play on Saturday and people want to ***** about the defensive performance? I get it, they're a crap team but that's exactly what you're supposed to do against a crap team.

They held North Carolina to 2.7 yards per rush but we're going to blame Patchan and Garvin for the defensive backs allowing 300 yards on only 25 pass attempts? Do they have to sack the quarterback EVERY single time? If Patchan had been a better cornerback maybe he wouldn't have given up that 65 yard touchdown to a guy who was so open, I could have thrown the pass. ****, they blew the game because they were so desperate to get pressure on 4th and 17 that they blitzed. Not that it mattered it was another BLOWN coverage with two Miami DBs standing next to each other while the North Carolina WR was WIDE OPEN for the easiest 4th and 17 conversion ever.

They held Florida, the team we all said "we have to stop their running game" to 50 rushing yards and a 1.8 ypc average. Was it the defensive ends that allowed Kadarius Toney to go 66 yards for a touchdown reception while breaking about 5 tackles? Or did they allow a bum like Josh Hammond to average over 20 yards a catch?

From what I've seen so far, is a defensive line that's controlling their opponents and shutting down their run game with defensive backs allowing big plays in the passing game too often.
Its the defense as a whole. The defense doesn't look to be as disruptive(especially d-line) as it has since diaz has been dc. Even he said that only 2 sacks and 8tfls vs bethune isn't good enough.

Advertisement

bro, people don't know wtf they're talking about 90% of the time. they wanna see lots of pretty colors and 1000 yards of offense to determine if the team is good or not.

we have imbeciles here saying garvin is overrated. lol even though we're the ones that "rated" him, but he's overrated. people are morons.

Its the defense as a whole. The defense doesn't look to be as disruptive(especially d-line) as it has since diaz has been dc. Even he said that only 2 sacks and 8tfls vs bethune isn't good enough.
Exactly people forget but while Diaz defense was always very aggressive it never gave up many big plays outside of a few instances. We had 0 plays of 50 yards or more in the passing game in 2018. By game 2 of this year we already have given up 3 passes of 50 yards or more.

Last edited:
One thing is this a new DLine Coach and he may not be teaching what the previous 2 did.
Myself, I hate Jess Simpson leaving, I believe he is an excellent DLine Teacher, Elite level.

Also I do think they are asking Garvin to play more of a Containment Role.

One thing I saw in this game that I did not see in the previous 2 games, was Diaz got on them hard on the Sideline. He chewed them out also and they started playing harder. Bethel played his best game so hope it carries over for the rest of the season.

Also saw Diaz coaching the Defense some on the sideline and Baker seemed to stay out of his way.

Diaz wants to win and I do not believe he is going to sit back an let the Defense not perform up to a certain standard. We have the talent to run an aggressive attacking Defense, Baker and Stroud might be his friends, but I do not think he will just sit back and let the Defense not perform. If he does he will not be here long.

Baker may not have the personality to get in the Defensive Players ****!!

Agree. Baker seems to be missing that passion and intensity that Diaz brought to the defense as the coordinator.

Also, though it has only been three games (two, really), I don't think Baker adjusts as well and as quickly as Manny. Diaz's defenses always seemed to get better as the game wore on and the season wore on.

Exactly people forget but while Diaz defense was always very aggressive it never gave up many big plays outside of a few instances. We had 0 plays of 50 yards or more in the passing game in 2018. By the of game 2 we already gave up 3 passes of 50 yards or more.

What you just pointed out is what determines whether a Diaz defense is elite / top or just above average. For a Manny D to be elite / top, it needs to limit the explosive plays. I hope they can correct that issue.

Advertisement

I know a lot of fans didn't get to see the game but those numbers don't really tell the story.

Bethune only ran 48 total plays and 10 of them were in the final stages of the fourth quarter when Miami had emptied their bench. I left in the 4th quarter after the Hodges touchdown reception made it 56-0 with a little over 8 minutes on the clock. At that point, BCC had run 38 total plays and had only 2 total first downs and had under 100 yards of offense. They were clearly afraid of the pass rush, as they almost never actually dropped back to pass. 75% of their passing game was screens. They must have run the little option/throw play where the QB takes the shotgun snap, rolls to his right and either keeps or throws to his receiver who is running a bubble. Almost like an option but instead of pitching it backwards, the QB throws it slightly forwards. It's really hard to rack up sacks against a team that never drops back to pass.

Exactly people forget but while Diaz defense was always very aggressive it never gave up many big plays outside of a few instances. We had 0 plays of 50 yards or more in the passing game in 2018. By the of game 2 we already gave up 3 passes of 50 yards or more.
This is true but none of that is because of Patchan or Garvin. Poor coverage and bad angles in the defensive backfield are the reason.

I know a lot of fans didn't get to see the game but those numbers don't really tell the story.

Bethune only ran 48 total plays and 10 of them were in the final stages of the fourth quarter when Miami had emptied their bench. I left in the 4th quarter after the Hodges touchdown reception made it 56-0 with a little over 8 minutes on the clock. At that point, BCC had run 38 total plays and had only 2 total first downs and had under 100 yards of offense. They were clearly afraid of the pass rush, as they almost never actually dropped back to pass. 75% of their passing game was screens. They must have run the little option/throw play where the QB takes the shotgun snap, rolls to his right and either keeps or throws to his receiver who is running a bubble. Almost like an option but instead of pitching it backwards, the QB throws it slightly forwards. It's really hard to rack up sacks against a team that never drops back to pass.
Diaz said that it wasn't good enough not just fans.

Advertisement
Had a sack and was disruptive and disciplined the 3rd game in a row. I like Spider, but the dude's new nickname should be "Ghost."

Were I Blake, and I'm not, I'd start Patch and Rousseau.

Bc he had a good game against the defending power 5 national champions Bethune Cookman college.

It’s still amazing to me how stupid people are.

Here’s the logic:

Patchan is starting because the idea is to stop the other teams’ rushing attacks.

Miami’s defense, with Patchan starting, is holding p5 opponents to 1.8 to 2.7 yards per rush and very low rushing totals.

Therefore,

Bench Patchan.

Here’s the logic:

Patchan is starting because the idea is to stop the other teams’ rushing attacks.

Miami’s defense, with Patchan starting, is holding p5 opponents to 1.8 to 2.7 yards per rush and very low rushing totals.

Therefore,

Bench Patchan.

Patchan isn't the reason we're stopping the run. In fact, if you watch the UNC game, their only big runs were because he didn't hold contain. They specifically targeted his end on the jet sweeps because he could hold the edge. To give patchan credit for UM stopping the run is simply ignorant.

Advertisement
Back