We done with the "Bench Patchan" chatter?

Advertisement
I still remember the first time I took notice of Patchan....FSU game 2016 where he looked like he was shot out of a cannon and got that pressure on frenchie. I was like who is that....I don't know if it's the injuries, added weight or what he is now being asked to do, but he doesn't seem to have that same initial explosiveness.

I could be misremebering, but I seem to remember quite a few plays this year of Patch jumping the A gap and leaving the edge fapping like a screen door.

Advertisement
UM football has been mediocre for so long, that our fan base defends players like Patchan. That guy has no business playing
Says the delusional fan. Even at our heights we still had solid players, aka Matt Walters, who weren’t the next great thing. The objective is to win, not front...

UM football has been mediocre for so long, that our fan base defends players like Patchan. That guy has no business playing

I think the summaries of Patchan are mostly spot on. The delusion is with guys like Jon Ford. It's an annual mirage, merely with altered names. Just because our run defense looks decent for a few games all of a sudden we'll have assertions that the players are not far from elite level.

Results basically mean nothing with the Canes these days. Often there is no greater fooler than results. We're an 8-4 level program and it's been that way for quite a while. Nothing suggests we are ready to depart that territory, in either direction.

So the easy way to negotiate that reality is to ignore any result that suggests we are considerably above 8-4 level, and ignore any result that suggests we are considerably below 8-4 level. That attaches to positional results more than anything. Just because our secondary looks abysmal in the first two games doesn't mean we are abysmal. We'll logically restore to 8-4 caliber, just like the rest of the team. And the recently imposing run defense is hardly a massive strength. They'll be gashed, as soon as the proper opponent(s) shows up. They'll find 8-4 level also.

Again, it is exactly like Ryan Tannehill's career with the Dolphins. Results meant absolutely squat. The most inept analysts were concerned with Ryan Tannehill results, and using them as some indication of more to follow. Whenever there was a 2-game Tannehill uptick all you had to do was ignore it and propose that he would revert to his normal level, and same whenever there was a 2-game slide.

The real controversy shouldn't be on why Patchan, the most consistent DL this season, isn't riding the pine. The real controversy is why Greg hasn't supplanted Garvin yet as a starter. I literally feel like every time Rousseau isn't on the field is a wasted opportunity.
I don't get it. Manny needs to get his tenure off to a strong start so recruiting doesn't suffer. We need to win & win now. Why the **** aren't they playing Rousseau more. It's just flat out ridiculous. He's far more talented & disruptive. We have so many self-inflicted wounds that hold us back. Not smart.

Blake needs to stop with the practice of putting 15 @ tackle. That's very Goldoritos like.
Play tackles @ tackles and ends @ end. I could see him playing middle in some crazy scheme but to put him down in the middle of the trenches is stupid IMO

Advertisement
The problem with fans is they'll worship a guy who gets a sack but also allows the opponent to get huge gains running the ball because he's over penetrating and not staying in his rush lane. The sack looks good in the box score because not playing the run doesn't show up as am individual statistic. I don't think Patchan is a great player but he's done what is asked of him very well. He was our best defensive player against UF. Our opponents so far are only averaging 25 pass attempts per game. The goal has been to shut down the run first and we have.

The D line really hasn't been as dominant as in the past, but Patchan has done just fine. Most of the people calling for him to be benched are the same ****posters who think Diaz should be fired the first time he loses a game.

I wonder if it is a scheme thing or a talent issue. Would like our local media to actually ask better questions like this. We have been great against the run as opposed to past years. Maybe Baker doesn’t want our guys attacking so hard up field and giving up huge holes for running lanes?

I wonder if it is a scheme thing or a talent issue. Would like our local media to actually ask better questions like this. We have been great against the run as opposed to past years. Maybe Baker doesn’t want our guys attacking so hard up field and giving up huge holes for running lanes?
That would make sense. Let the secondary do their job. Sacks and TFLs are nice, but not necessarily if you end up giving up a huge run at some point.

Advertisement
That would make sense. Let the secondary do their job. Sacks and TFLs are nice, but not necessarily if you end up giving up a huge run at some point.
Only caveat in this, you have an overall young secondary. Help them out by being a great pass rush like we have in the last 2-3 years. Don’t make it harder on them when you not applying enough pressure to disrupt throws therefore having the young dbs to cover a lot of seconds

Some people really just have no idea what they're talking about. Patchan has been a big reason for our great run defense thus far. The problem is Garvin, hasn't been Garvin. Patchan has been more consistent in generating pressure than Garvin and that's a problem. Garvin benefitted a lot playing with Jackson. He needs to do better with getting more attention from opposing offenses. GR and Hill need more burn. And I'd like to see them get some snaps at DT on passing downs.
GR plays DT on passing downs

Advertisement
Only caveat in this, you have an overall young secondary. Help them out by being a great pass rush like we have in the last 2-3 years. Don’t make it harder on them when you not applying enough pressure to disrupt throws therefore having the young dbs to cover a lot of seconds

Maybe there is just a talent drop off. I know game one we asked Garvin and Patch to control the pocket. Not sure about game two or 3 what is going on but our sack and TFL numbers are definitely down. Clearly we miss Willis in the middle and Patch isn’t Joe Jackson. Garvin hasn’t been impactful yet.

Maybe there is just a talent drop off. I know game one we asked Garvin and Patch to control the pocket. Not sure about game two or 3 what is going on but our sack and TFL numbers are definitely down. Clearly we miss Willis in the middle and Patch isn’t Joe Jackson. Garvin hasn’t been impactful yet.
We can’t have 2 non pass rushing defensive ends on the field playing all of these snaps. Garvin hasn’t had a sack in 9 games dating back to last year. If he isn’t going to be productive in pass rushing then hill or Rousseau need to be starting at weakside dend while garvin moves to patchan side and start in front of him

Advertisement
Back