We are an improving team

Advertisement
Can't skip steps.

You don't get to go from losing to FIU and LA Tech to beating Clemson in their house less than a year later. There's a talent gap, and understandably so.

The question for the Canes after losing these games is whether they will allow the loss to complete deflate their season or if they'll learn from it and finish strong. Usually, it's the former. We'll see.

This isn't about skipping steps, it's about steps that never should have been that big in the first place That FIU loss you mentioned is an INDICTMENT of not only this coaching staff, but an inept/apathetic/incompetent administration that doesn't give a flying F about football.

And the next step was never beating Clemson THIS year. Anyone who was expecting that is a moron. However, it was fair to hope and expect this team would look PREPARED with 2 weeks to gameplan and that at the very least, we would look as good if not better than Virginia did against this same Clemson squad. The expectation was simply a hard fought, competitive game that would ultimately end in a loss, but would give us signs we were heading in the right direction.

This type of loss just highlights all the symptoms that are being driven by the disease I mentioned in the first paragraph. God bless Manny I wanted him to succeed here but he wasn't the right hire because he WASN'T and ISN'T ready to be a head coach at a program this big yet. That decision was spurred on by an incompetent AD that simply doesn't understand the type of hire a supposed big time program needs in order to compete at the highest level.

It's about NOT losing the games you are SUPPOSE to win. The Virginia's, the FIU's, the Duke's....those losses lead to a bad perception among the worst possible crowd.......prospective elite recruits and more importantly....their parents.

Until the PERCEPTION of this program doesn't change, nothing else will. One cycle (winning winnable games) feeds the other (recruiting). It's really nothing more complicated than that. Manny either needs to punch above his weight class ON the field, or on the recruiting trail. Until one of those two cycles doesn't pick up this program is stuck in purgatory. Transfers are a SUPPLEMENT, not a blueprint for building a program. Manny's been here long enough that at the very least, the defensive depth chart is 100% his responsibility. You take out the two transfers (Phillips and Bolden) and where the **** would this defense be? Our CB and LB depth charts in particular are simply an embarrassment relative to our standards and where our program sits geographically.

I'm not sure what kind of real improvement you're seeing, but ok.

idk, we got dropped in the crockpot the minute that first electronic whistle went off, and three hours later we were falling off the bone.

"b-b-b-but the offense..."...yeah, I know its better than 2017, but fvck you with your WHALE AXTUALLY

Three years ago, when we played Clemson in the ACC Championship game...

Malik Rosier went 14-29 for 110 yard and 2 INT. D'Eriq King went 12/28 for 128 yards and 2 INTs. (yes, I realize King is better than Rosier...but if you see that stat line and your eyes don't pop out of your head, idk what to tell you).

104 yards rushing in 2017...40 a pop for DeeJay Dallas and Travis Homer. 89 in 2020, with D'Eriq King having 80 of those yards himself.

In 2017, the OL allowed 4 sacks. This year...5 sacks.

In 2017, I saw Braxton Berrios trying. He lacked talent, but showed he was a dawg. Seeing a bunch of puppies at WR in 2020.

In 2017, a merciful 38 points allowed. This year, 42 in torrential downpour in the second half.

If you think Manny Diaz has made this team much better than we've been in recent memory, idk what to tell you. Get your eyes fixed.

I'll enjoy this season plenty if we can win the games we are supposed to win, but don't lie to yourself, bruh.

I agree, Manny may very well be a corch by the time his tenure is finished @ MIA, but the question is can this program really do much better? I don't think so, because this university has proven that it is unwilling to make the financial commitment necessary to field a team that can contend for a championship. That is why it is highly unlikely that an established coach would ever seriously entertain the idea of taking this job. And why should they? Besides the administration's unwillingness to commit to winning, there's also a perpetual negative & toxic cloud that swirls around the program from the fanbase because of their unrealistic expectations. That's what makes this job one of the most difficult in all of CFB.

If the goal is to be a contender in the coastal division of the ACC, then I think Diaz will be able to eventually accomplish that. But as we saw tonight being a NC contender is a completely different animal altogether. Also, hiring a capable HC is only part of the equation. The overall football program budget for MIA severely lags other successful programs, which has huge ramifications for overall competitiveness. Theres simply no way in **** that a program that has won 5 NCs in a span of 20 yrs, hires HCs like Coker, Shannon, and Golden by accident. The hiring of Richt was a sound decision, because it was made from the recommendation of a search committee that the university paid for. The issue was he was only willing to take the job under the stipulation that his son also be hired on the staff. That ultimately led to his undoing, and the rest is history

Diaz seat is currently burning.

These type of losses usually led to more losses in the past.

Advertisement
We played hard against a team that is better than us at almost every position.

This rebuild is going to take time, we don't have the players LSU had last year. We can win any game left on our schedule and that should help us with recruiting the right players for our systems.

Our culture is far from where Clemson is. Clemson continues to have NFL ready guys come back for their senior year, and we continue to have guys opt-out or declared early. College football had changed a lot since we won anything and Clemson is the model. Our guys played hard, hit hard, and our coaches had them motivated. I am excited for the rest of the season.
I agree so how we can’t lose more than 1 more game the rest of the way right? The Acc is trash once again outside Clemson

You don't go from having one of the worst OL in football to competing with Clemson the next year. Our OL went from horrible to pedestrian. If our OL were good the entire game would have played out differently. Venables knew our OL was horrific and easily schemed against it.

Advertisement
Think about how much diff game is with Rousseau, dee jay dallas, joe jackson and jeff thomas our guys leave and go 5th round to undrafted when they have top 10 picks coming back
That's a big reason they're better than anyone else in the conference. But the solution for some on here is fire the coaches.

Advertisement
We played hard against a team that is better than us at almost every position.

This rebuild is going to take time, we don't have the players LSU had last year. We can win any game left on our schedule and that should help us with recruiting the right players for our systems.

Our culture is far from where Clemson is. Clemson continues to have NFL ready guys come back for their senior year, and we continue to have guys opt-out or declared early. College football had changed a lot since we won anything and Clemson is the model. Our guys played hard, hit hard, and our coaches had them motivated. I am excited for the rest of the season.
We are far away, and the problem is we have been rebuilding for nearly 15 years now. Sure, the players tried hard, but they were ill-prepared, and our coaches failed in all three areas with two weeks to prepare... 79 yards on O and running up the middle with the D front they had was Richt era stubborn BS. We need top coaches on D and for our head ball coach. The recipe for success at Miami has not been first time coaches, our D coaches need an almost complete refresh. Patke Banda and Baker need to go, possibly others.

Penalties are a result of poor coaching and/or motivation.
not always. Penalties are also the result of kids playing like it's high school...No self control when things get tough. street-ball mentality.

All the personal fouls HAVE to get cleaned up. There are multiple personal foul penalties every game and they are KILLERS

- Lining up offsides multiple times is lack of focus - how does Jakai Clark do it it at least once virtually every game??

Advertisement
You should be a little more realistic with your expectations. We played the number one team in the country.
Sure we played #1, but if we are truly improving, is it too much to expect our offense to put up more than 1 TD of offense? If you are rah rah’ing after going from 3 points to 10 points of offense in 3 years, then I guess that’s a measure of improvement only a few will accept.

Advertisement
Back