We are an improving team

Advertisement
Im interested in seeing this as well. Playing a noon game always sucks but this team needs to get refocused and move forward immediately. This season if far from over.
I’ve had Pitt circled since the summer as a trap game and possible loss. It’s the type of game we’ve lost the past 5 seasons that usually starts the downward spiral and, eventually, our corch loses the locker room.

But I’ve watched the full Pitt games the past 2 weeks. Mark Whipple is their OC. If that’s not saying enough, their WR group is more pedestrian than ours, and the QB tucks it and looks to run immediately if his first option isn’t there. The RB #22 looks explosive, but he gets like 2 carries a game cause whipple runs 4 verts 90% of the time.

The defense is vastly overrated. The secondary is Swiss cheese. They got carved up by NC state and BC (who, in their defense, are both much improved teams with very good QBs). The DL rarely gets any pressure. They have a few guys that look good getting off the bus, but I don’t see many plays getting made.

So yes, this is where we see if manny Diaz has a ***** or a ******. We should handle Pitt. It’s on Diaz to make sure we get up and do it.

I’ve had Pitt circled since the summer as a trap game and possible loss. It’s the type of game we’ve lost the past 5 seasons that usually starts the downward spiral and, eventually, our corch loses the locker room.

But I’ve watched the full Pitt games the past 2 weeks. Mark Whipple is their OC. If that’s not saying enough, their WR group is more pedestrian than ours, and the QB tucks it and looks to run immediately if his first option isn’t there. The RB #22 looks explosive, but he gets like 2 carries a game cause whipple runs 4 verts 90% of the time.

The defense is vastly overrated. The secondary is Swiss cheese. They got carved up by NC state and BC (who, in their defense, are both much improved teams with very good QBs). The DL rarely gets any pressure. They have a few guys that look good getting off the bus, but I don’t see many plays getting made.

So yes, this is where we see if manny Diaz has a ***** or a ******. We should handle Pitt. It’s on Diaz to make sure we get up and do it.
Spot on. If we tuck our tail between our legs and fold, we'll lose another 2-3 and the Diaz era will be one season closer to being over. If we come out and put an authoritative ***-whipping on them, that would say a lot about Manny and the mental toughness of the team.

Getting slapped around by Clemson is one thing, we just aren't there yet. But we have to take that next step to where beating Pitt, Duke, GT etc. is a given.

I just think we will lose twice to Clemson. We are batterd and bruised. We lost bunch of guys and our confidence is at the floor. There was no moral victory. We were uncompetitive. I don't see us recovering physically or mentally from this in less than 7 days.

Call me a downer, but this is reality. I am usually as positive as they come--but this was our worst loss in a very, very long time. It is a sobering reminder that any "progress" we have made might just be that we have an above average transfer at QB playing in a system that works for him, and we have a D1 level kicker. We are no better on defense; we are no better on the offensive line; we are no better at skill positions; we are not above the standard deviation in recruiting.

We are nowhere close to being back.

Reality is there are maybe 4 or 5 teams in the country that wouldn't have gotten their &hit pushed in by Clemson last night. They are that good. We have improved a ton, but there is still so far to go to get to playoff caliber. Need better players AND coaches which Clemson once again highlighted for us. They are the gold standard -- stacked talent, first rate coaching staff and a program that knows how to win consistently on the big stage.

They without a doubt had better talent, but they most importantly were so much better coached. Those guys were prepared with a good game plan, and they are a technically sound team. Let's just go ahead and say it will be Clemson playing Bama, UGA or maybe OSU for the title.

That said, we need talent, talent and more talent. On Defense, our LBs and CBs are weak, and opposing coaches can see that all day. Need immense upgrades in both areas - on the field and the coaching. On O, gotta keep hunting elite QBs. Your offense is nothing today without a beast under center (look at LSU this year vs. last year). Must keep talent-infusing our OL. They are still no where they need to be against good DL.

And PLAY THE YOUNG WRs! Harley, Pope and Wiggins are not the answer.

Advertisement
No doubt Clemson has vastly superior talent. No doubt we have vastly improved talent, especially with King & Lashlee at the helm, so OP's thread title seems spot on. What I wonder about, and might unleash some healthy debate, is expectations:

We all know about Casey Stengel's "they put their pants on one leg at a time just like you" and other ways to build confidence when about to take on a higher rated opponent. The Tweets and demeanor all week(x2) often seemed like Casey's tactic was well in hand.

When the OL-fueled run game (or lack thereof) pretty much destroyed the hurry-up-offense game plan for success (and some boners on 3rd down defense) the team seemed to pack-up and deflate. Gee, they are bigger faster stronger and BETTER after all; Yikes.

SO I'm wondering if a better way to PREPARE for a team like Clemson is to right out tell the team Hey We Rate to Lose to these guys. If we play our butts off and they make a few (unlikely) mistakes, we might keep it close, or see a miracle. So let's have fun and hope for that, but not be surprised if they stomp us a bit. (?)

Playing hard is nullified by not concentrating. And I don't think our WRs played hard.

Ban me if u like but **** you
U Mad Reaction GIF

Pitt is where we get back on track. We just got smacked by the bully. But we never gave up and we are going to keep training until we can get that rematch with the Bully.

Advertisement
How are you a head coach, watch your team get completely dominated the entire half and not use ONE timeout smh

Advertisement
I think everybody on here agrees that we’ve “improved” from the 2019 fiasco.

The problem is-so what? 2019 was probably the worst Cane team since the 70s. The 2007 team would be the only team that arguably might have been similarly bad.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back