Watson officially request trade

Good. You are confusing two concepts. Obviously, you play the game and give up the least necessary to get the deal done. Nobody disagrees with that. But you better get the deal done. We are too well-positioned, and the opportunity is too rare.

What value has Drew Brees represented for the Saints the past 15 years? That is the kind of impact Watson can have on this franchise. It's incalculable.
You made the statement that Watson winding up a Jet guarantees the Dolphins losing to the Jets. I disagreed. The Dolphins had Dan Marino. They didn't run the division. They were beaten by better run organizations. If the Dolphins choose Tua over what it would cost to get Watson I'm not just ceding the division to the Jets even if they did get Watson.

Advertisement
You made the statement that Watson winding up a Jet guarantees the Dolphins losing to the Jets. I disagreed. The Dolphins had Dan Marino. They didn't run the division. They were beaten by better run organizations. If the Dolphins choose Tua over what it would cost to get Watson I'm not just ceding the division to the Jets even if they did get Watson.
We don't have to cede the division to the Jets. The Bills would already own it. The Jets would become an additional threat with a defensive-minded head coach and a Top 5 QB. That formula has dominated the division for the past two decades.

Imagine being naive enough to think there won't be a massive bidding war and a historic price paid to land Watson. Dolphins need to hope that the Texans don't have a strong preference between QB 2/3 in this class.
Watson can control what the bidding war will be. If a team offers everything it won't matter if he doesn't want to go there. This isn't hard

Advertisement
They shoulda hired that chiefs OC

I was digging into that, and Eric B. seems to have all the pre reqs. He's even well loved by his peers.

But just because it seems like he deserves it, doesn't mean he should get it. Andy Reid is calling the plays, and Eric, for better or worse, has ridden behind that.

Eric B. needs to leave the chiefs so he can call plays and build the resume. Andy Reid is not giving up playcalling.

PS.. How many head coaches have you seen that are 5'7? Not that it matters in this, but I really can't recall many lol.

I was digging into that, and Eric B. seems to have all the pre reqs. He's even well loved by his peers.

But just because it seems like he deserves it, doesn't mean he should get it. Andy Reid is calling the plays, and Eric, for better or worse, has ridden behind that.

Eric B. needs to leave the chiefs so he can call plays and build the resume. Andy Reid is not giving up playcalling.

PS.. How many head coaches have you seen that are 5'7? Not that it matters in this, but I really can't recall many lol.
I only know Saban as one who's small. Hes 5'6

We don't have to cede the division to the Jets. The Bills would already own it. The Jets would become an additional threat with a defensive-minded head coach and a Top 5 QB. That formula has dominated the division for the past two decades.
That formula dominated because it combined the best QB ever and the best coach to ever do it. Two things the Jets would not have even with Deshaun Watson

While I'm not overly impressed by Tua, I'm not completely sour on him enough to end up with a great QB and nobody to support him.
He has arguably had a better supporting cast and hasn't won or even been to the big game yet (Yes I know it hasn't been 10 years in the league). Marino was also a great QB never to win the big one.

QB is a must but you have got to have a mix of some other "great" players and excellent support.

I want him as well but not at the expense of our future. One injury we then have no QB and a lot of nothing else.

Our #1 (#3), a future #2 and a player or two is the most I would do. You have a strong team you can bring in an aging QB and it seems to be working for the Bucs.

Advertisement
If I were the Texans, I'd tell him he's not being traded and make him play. If not, he can sit and not get paid. We'll see how much he likes that idea in his prime.

Advertisement
If I were the Texans, I'd tell him he's not being traded and make him play. If not, he can sit and not get paid. We'll see how much he likes that idea in his prime.
I mean it seems he is okay with doing that but on the texans side of things. How long are you going to drag the value of your team. I mean they just hired David Culley, who is very unqualified. They interviewed leslie Frazier who noone cared for. Sure the brought in Eric, who immediately made it clear that if he comes he wants personel control which to me sounds like his way of saying "I dont want this job." So you gonna keep bring down the value of team? What free agents are going to want to come here. Are 2022 draft picks going to want to get drafted by them if it looks like this. I mean washington was a pretty unappealing francise for awhile but now it seems houston has taken it and are not giving it up.

This is my concern. Hopefully, the stuff about Houston not liking Tua is negotiating BS. There were a ton of rumors last year about the Pats (and Casero) loving Tua.

If they do like him, it's a great fit. Tua gets to play in a dome at home, plus a division with another dome team and a warm-weather team. He fits the religious culture McNair seem to be trying to build. They can trade down from #3 and load up on help to surround him. Plus he's cheap and helps them with cap issues.
If there's one team who can afford to move forward with Tua for a couple years it's the Texans (with a haul of picks). They need a full-scale rebuild and if Tua isn't the guy by 2023 they will have a roster in place for someone else to replace him. That might be preferable to drafting a guy early and making a firmer commitment to him in a difficult context to start his career. Caserio is there for the long haul so he doesn't need to be in a rush to push in all his chips on a franchise QB.
Watson can control what the bidding war will be. If a team offers everything it won't matter if he doesn't want to go there. This isn't hard
lol you're deluding yourself. Texans have the leverage here. They don't have to honor his trade request. If Watson sabotages a deal they like they can keep him on the roster and force him to eat $100Ks in fines and/or $22M lost salary for retiring, all while continuing their rebuild tank without him. Who do you think will blink first? Watson is young, wants to play and wants to get paid. He will cave.

If there's one team who can afford to move forward with Tua for a couple years it's the Texans (with a haul of picks). They need a full-scale rebuild and if Tua isn't the guy by 2023 they will have a roster in place for someone else to replace him. That might be preferable to drafting a guy early and making a firmer commitment to him in a difficult context to start his career. Caserio is there for the long haul so he doesn't need to be in a rush to push in all his chips on a franchise QB.

lol you're deluding yourself. Texans have the leverage here. They don't have to honor his trade request. If Watson sabotages a deal they like they can keep him on the roster and force him to eat $100Ks in fines and/or $22M lost salary for retiring, all while continuing their rebuild tank without him. Who do you think will blink first? Watson is young, wants to play and wants to get paid. He will cave.
Watson can report. Be a problem in the locker room and destroy the team with public comments during mini camp. James Harden did the same thing after a game and he was traded within 48 hours. Watson could go on a podcast tomorrow. Rip the owner and he'd be done there. The Jags were playing hard ball with Ngaouke. He called the owner's kid a clown twitter and was out of there real quick. The teams only have that type of control because the players allow it. If he's willing to go that far he'll get to a team he wants. He can easily decide the market by giving the Texans a list and having his agent make that list known and making sure his agent informs all interested parties. The power of a no-trade clause. He wants to go to a winner. It does him no good if the team has to decimate their picks and player pool because he's open to 15 teams.

Advertisement
That's exactly the same deal I was hoping can be made. BUT now I'm sure we'll have to throw in that extra first rdr. I'm okay with it now. Smith is great but there will always be talented WRs. Like every yr! Can't say the same with QBs.
So if you must do that trade...Maybe next year's #1 since it would, we would hope, be closer to an early second round pick?

Tua, #3, next year #1... If you love a WR move up from 18 using one of your second rounders?

For added context:

Jay Fiedler
Damon Huard
Ray Lucas
Brian Griese
AJ Feely
Sage Rosenfels
Gus Frerotte
Daunte Culpepper
Joey Harrington
Cleo Lemon
Trent Green
John Beck
Chad Pennington
Chad Henne
Tyler Thigpen
Matt Moore
Ryan Tannehill
Jay Cutler
Brock Osweiler
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Josh Rosen
Tua Tagavoiloa

Phins have won 1 playoff game since Marino retired. How many first and second round picks have we made since then, and what have they gotten us? Ditka gave up an entire draft just to get 3 seasons out of Ricky Williams, but the Saints found themselves a franchise QB in 2006, won a SB in 2009 and have made the playoffs 9 times since signing Brees. You can't win big in today's NFL without a franchise QB.

Grier has to make this happen. Nobody will give two ***** about Tua or the draft picks if the Phins are making the playoffs and contending for the SB for the next 10 years.

Advertisement
Back