Washington State WeAreUnited players released . . .

I’m not sure there’s not a constitutional violation here. The right to assemble and the right to protest. The kids didn’t even miss a practice yet, as far as I’m aware.

A counter argument would be anticipated breach of contract, but they have been better served to get a court order on that first.

Id be surprised if this is true. Will wait for a statement from the university before I believe it.
you can’t be punished from the state for protesting, but these schools aren’t the state. It’s the same thing for employers. That’s why you see people getting fired for old tweets but they aren’t being put in jail. I don’t think this would violate their 1A. I’m not a lawyer though. You can sue for anything though lol

Advertisement
Interesting reactions how some think college athletes should be seen but not heard. Professional athletes opting out of playing during Covid-19 is accepted. College athletes concerned about health and safety a whole other story.
Who cares? You're trying to use some guilt trip? Who died and made you in charge of people's attitudes?
Interesting how nobodies try to formulate other people's form of thinking by acting like they're superior in their moral compass... lmao

you can’t be punished from the state for protesting, but these schools aren’t the state. It’s the same thing for employers. That’s why you see people getting fired for old tweets but they aren’t being put in jail. I don’t think this would violate their 1A. I’m not a lawyer though. You can sue for anything though lol
It’s a state university. I am a lawyer, but no expert in constitutional law.

Everybody always talks about revenues and wanting their share. Do people understand there are expenses related to those revenues? Do they not get all the hotels, bus rides, meals, nutrition, support staff, trainers, equipment, etc all costs money?

Everybody always talks about revenues and wanting their share. Do people understand there are expenses related to those revenues? Do they not get all the hotels, bus rides, meals, nutrition, support staff, trainers, equipment, etc all costs money?
Very insightful, as the 84th post in the thread

Advertisement
How much they make is only one side of the coin. Athletic departments also spend millions on their athletes. I realize it's mostly made on the backs of football players but it's not like the universities are making millions of dollars in profit. I think the players should be making some sort of money but acting like they're getting royally ****ed is wrong imo. Without delving to deeply it seems like most universities are the model for 'redistribution of wealth.' I haven't quite figured out my whole stance on this thing but feel it's interesting to see just how much athletic departments are spending on sports or whatever they have in their budgets.

College finances - USA Today

View attachment 125618
There might be more proceeds to share with the athletes if the schools would stop the utterly grotesque spending on coaches and recruiting and all that. You can pay a coaching staff $20M, but there's nothing there to pay the players a fair amount? That doesn't sound fair to the guys actually spilling the blood, and it shouldn't.

There might be more proceeds to share with the athletes if the schools would stop the utterly grotesque spending on coaches and recruiting and all that. You can pay a coaching staff $20M, but there's nothing there to pay the players a fair amount? That doesn't sound fair to the guys actually spilling the blood, and it shouldn't.
That's a good point.. and probably can extend to a lot of other areas outside of sports also.

Advertisement
100000000%%%

All PAC 12 student athletes need to stand with their brothers and sisters, given this news.

Every single PAC 12 student athlete should join in with this movement. In fact, every student athlete from the ACC, SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 should follow suit. Every single one. If you want to change this system, the time is now. The West Coast is usually the first mover with progressive social change in America. Smart social thinking and big jumps in technology usually comes from that coast first...and everyone else follows.

You fight force with force and the student athletes have ALL the leverage. I hope a big domino effect ensues throughout the P5.

And many of us hope every single Pac-12 university tells those athletes to kick rocks, because we've got thousands of kids who will take your place tomorrow.

Advertisement
How? I said male and female athletes in my post

Schools will not be able to give female athletes the number of scholarships required under Title IX if their football revenue is cut in half. So, under current legislation this is not possible. They could definitely work some form of compensation out, which I completely agree with, but with football and mens bball supporting the remaining programs at the majority of all athletic programs it's not possible to give away that much

That's a good point.. and probably can extend to a lot of other areas outside of sports also.
Yeah. This country’s greed has gotten out of control leading to an absurd concentration of wealth.

There’s really no justifiable reason for a college football coach to be making $10M per year while the schools are crying poor in an effort to avoid sharing some of the bounty with the guys doing the actual work.

Advertisement
Back