Washington State WeAreUnited players released . . .

If it's for covid related issues that would be a bad look.

Anyone with a brain can see this was an attempt at a power play for money veiled as Covid related. I'm sure they were all so concerned that they all stayed home, quarantined, and remained socially distant during the last five months or so.

I would bet every dollar I own and every material possession that their Instagram and other social media platforms show anything but that though. They would get eviscerated in a court room.

Advertisement
Don't think they are there just to get scholarships... they want the privileges of an athlete. ... most will transfer
Where are they gonna go since college doesn't pay.
If it's for covid related issues that would be a bad look.
Two issues here. One they threatened to not play if they are not paid. The other is they could have just said I'm sitting this year out because covid. I'm good with the player sitting out for health reasons but the threat is the problem. So the school calls the bluff and says your not playing. Prob still need to stay on scholly because yes a bad look if they yank it.

Makes sense except the part where a football career is maybe 5 years and most other careerS are 40 years. These are their money years and they’re wasting it playing for free
18-20 is not money years for football players. They would get destroyed in the NFL. There's a reason even the XFL had no interest in talented players fresh out of high school. They aren't physically ready for professional football right out of HS.

Cool coach. Your free ride is safe this year because the administration says I have to honor your scholarship. To you united boys, the administration didn’t say I have to next year. Yep.

As to this players revolt, these kids are trying to either get an NFL check or get a free education which has value even if people think it could be more. They also have parents. They aren’t gonna walk out and ruin the NFL and degree options in large numbers. The NFL doesn’t even want them til 21.

That said, this is definitely left coast thing. The home of the left radicals. South and Midwest being the home of the right radicals. So hard being a moderate. I love my radicalized friends. No offense.

18-20 is not money years for football players. They would get destroyed in the NFL. There's a reason even the XFL had no interest in talented players fresh out of high school. They aren't physically ready for professional football right out of HS.
Yet, these kids are entertaining enough to where colleges are able to get billions for the product. It's amazing how many people justify guys not getting paid, while people like Saban are filthy rich pimping said product.

Advertisement
I’m all for students making money from use of their name, image, and likeness....

However, paying students with departmental revenue sharing and thus converting college football into a “minor league system” will have some consequences in terms of decreased viewership, popularity, revenue, and employee reimbursement. This may actually reduce the player’s eventual return on investment/labor. As an alumnus, I’ll rather support a subpar professional team than support a team of inferior athletes being paid to play for a university that I paid to attend. My family and kids will also be less likely to develop as fans...

Of-course, I could be wrong and be an outlier.

I’m not sure there’s not a constitutional violation here. The right to assemble and the right to protest. The kids didn’t even miss a practice yet, as far as I’m aware.

A counter argument would be anticipated breach of contract, but they have been better served to get a court order on that first.

Id be surprised if this is true. Will wait for a statement from the university before I believe it.

Interesting reactions how some think college athletes should be seen but not heard. Professional athletes opting out of playing during Covid-19 is accepted. College athletes concerned about health and safety a whole other story.

Advertisement
Yet, these kids are entertaining enough to where colleges are able to get billions for the product. It's amazing how many people justify guys not getting paid, while people like Saban are filthy rich pimping said product.
They can make money on their own likeness starting next year. They also are getting up to 80K in yearly benefits and hundreds of people helping them develop their craft to make it professionally. Most college football players won’t make it even in the CFL so they need a college staff that can prepare them.

So housing, college, food, travel, clothing, training, medical, the ability to market yourself for money (which you wouldn’t be successful at without the University’s logo) and the chance to develop for your dream career. Sure as **** beats the path to most other careers

Interesting reactions how some think college athletes should be seen but not heard. Professional athletes opting out of playing during Covid-19 is accepted. College athletes concerned about health and safety a whole other story.
Concern And opting out is fine. Demanding 50% of the profits without paying towards any of the costs is what’s dumb.

It's interesting that anyone would actually believe it's anything to do with Covid with the group, rather than just getting paid. See, if it wasn't about the money, there wouldn't have been such a ridiculous demand and they would've just said Covid, all is well. They tried to use it to their advantage, what a joke.

Any concerns before the group, fine, on Covid. The rest is just an insult to anyone with intelligence.

Advertisement
LOL at this kid and the TCU kid trying to play the victim. They learning alright. Sad state of affairs this country has gone to over politics. Narrative Sells and matters not facts or accountability.
Uhhhhhhm, a white coach called "the TCU kid" the N word twice because the TCU kid posted a picture of Him & His white GF on social media, He is "the victim".

If they didn't have the opt out because of Covid decision to ensure their scholarship, they never would have said a word.

Advertisement
Uhmmm and no one was making millions off you while you were in school. Big difference and they’re not going to 300K med school They’re taking 1000 and 2000 level classes that cost 400-500$ most of the time
How much they make is only one side of the coin. Athletic departments also spend millions on their athletes. I realize it's mostly made on the backs of football players but it's not like the universities are making millions of dollars in profit. I think the players should be making some sort of money but acting like they're getting royally ****ed is wrong imo. Without delving to deeply it seems like most universities are the model for 'redistribution of wealth.' I haven't quite figured out my whole stance on this thing but feel it's interesting to see just how much athletic departments are spending on sports or whatever they have in their budgets.

College finances - USA Today

budgets.jpg

All PAC 12 student athletes need to stand with their brothers and sisters, given this news.

Every single PAC 12 student athlete should join in with this movement. In fact, every student athlete from the ACC, SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 should follow suit. Every single one. If you want to change this system, the time is now. The West Coast is usually the first mover with progressive social change in America. Smart social thinking and big jumps in technology usually comes from that coast first...and everyone else follows.

You fight force with force and the student athletes have ALL the leverage. I hope a big domino effect ensues throughout the P5.

Sounds great and all, except it would completely violate Title IX, which is a federal law. Will be fun to watch the sports media try and spin this one

Concern And opting out is fine. Demanding 50% of the profits without paying towards any of the costs is what’s dumb.
I agree with this completely. They should get paid for their likeness and get paid something by the school within reason ( 500 a week or something like that ) but 50% of the profit is absurd.

Advertisement
Back