Washington State WeAreUnited players released . . .

Straight up kids have no power in this fight and they shouldn't. All professionals pay their dues, most for much longer than four years and with far less recognition than these kids get while in college. You think wall street freshman, new grad lawyers, and medical interns are *****ing because their bosses and attendings are raking in the cash and using them to do the bulk of the dirty work. **** no! They pay their mfing dues and if they work hard enough for long enough it pays off.

I say to any college athlete complaining about their situation to swiftly **** right off. Pay your **** dues like the rest of us and STFU
Makes sense except the part where a football career is maybe 5 years and most other careerS are 40 years. These are their money years and they’re wasting it playing for free

Advertisement
I disagree here. I think college athletes have more power. They can get a scholarship to play at another school. Pro athletes have to worry about their livelihood being taken away (Colin Kaepernick). In most cases, big time football is the top revenue earner for most colleges. If they don't put a good product on the field, it hurts these universities in a number of different ways (remember the reports in the spike of admission applications when Miami was number 2 in the country and on College GameDay). These colleges/universities have to show some kind of appropriate response, or it's going to hurt their chances of having other big time recruits come to their school in the future. I respect these kids for forcing the schools to show their hand.

No other school will touch them...

Makes sense except the part where a football career is maybe 5 years and most other careerS are 40 years. These are their money years and they’re wasting it playing for free
It cost me 300k and 9 years of my young adult life to become a professional and make 100-150k as a "rookie" with an outside chance at 350k plus at the peak of m profession. I have no problem saying **** all these big time college athletes who think they are getting the shaft. They aren't anymore than everybody else on the planet.

Again I say pay your mfin dues like everyone else and be thankful your training is free.

It cost me 300k and 9 years of my young adult life to become a professional and make 100-150k as a "rookie" with an outside chance at 350k plus at the peak of m profession. I have no problem saying **** all these big time college athletes who think they are getting the shaft. They aren't anymore than everybody else on the planet.

Again I say pay your mfin dues like everyone else and be thankful your training is free.
Uhmmm and no one was making millions off you while you were in school. Big difference and they’re not going to 300K med school They’re taking 1000 and 2000 level classes that cost 400-500$ most of the time

Advertisement
The amount of people on here stupid enough to be convinced that football money actually runs all these schools is astonishing. Football money runs athletic departments, not the schools. The overwhelming majority of schools can't even cover the athletics part with what they make much less people acting like they're out supplying the science labs and building libraries with the money or something.

The amount of people on here stupid enough to be convinced that football money actually runs all these schools is astonishing. Football money runs athletic departments, not the schools. The overwhelming majority of schools can't even cover the athletics part with what they make much less people acting like they're out supplying the science labs and building libraries with the money or something.
I think UM actually makes around $200k or so each year from athletics. That's peanuts in the grand scheme.

The best part that most don't even know about it acknowledge is that there is an athletic fee at most schools paid by every paying student that's lumped in with their tuition. They're hidden costs and often hidden as it's something the schools don't want to address.

Most schools aren't even breaking even on sports so they're subsidized by the students. Yes, big football programs can be flush with cash, but most aren't and this pay for play would essentially limit those who could participate. Then you're looking at eliminating entire sports from your school. It's all a very slippery slope.

Advertisement
What do you expect from the media?
But why are the players making an issue about clearing out their lockers if they quit?
They arent smart. The players say they are scared to do activities bc of covid, so then the team agrees that they cant be around. Then the player asks why I cant be around? Basically, the players want the perks of having a job after they quit. The team honored their scholarships

Advertisement
Strong arming the student athletes is short sided and could come back around to bite Washington State in more ways than one. You may have law suits over Constitutional rights of freedom of speech. Dismissing players who have broken no laws or university policies won't hold water. Secondly, you've demoralized and split your team. Lastly, good luck building your recruiting class.

I think some of these kids take it for granted that they play football. Almost think it’s their right and we owe something to them for playing. I get they bring in a lot of money to the school, but it also costs a lot to scholarship them, room them, travel them and feed them. Not sure where the middle ground is.

Uhmmm and no one was making millions off you while you were in school. Big difference and they’re not going to 300K med school They’re taking 1000 and 2000 level classes that cost 400-500$ most of the time
Student doctors and interns/residents provide healthcare, they pay the school to see patients and then the school or hospital collects payment from insurance or patients for that care. Yea they have someone looking over their shoulder but they are doing most if not all the heavy lifting. Schools and hospitals are profiting on both ends, it's a racket. Medical training should be free but it isnt so athletes can stfu.

You make my point for me. They dont even factor in the actual training they get as a benefit. The academic classes are one thing but the four years of nutrition, strength, rehab, scheme, film watching, and coaching they get should cost them 500k if not more if you project out earnings potential in their chosen field.

As far as professional training goes in America sports are the sweetest deal around. The high level of risk involved in correctly identifying talent that pans out and/or doesnt get injured is the only reason student athletes in these giant money making sports dont have to compete for positions and take out loans to pay their way.
If qualifying to play for an elite football institution practically guaranteed professional success and financial stability athletes would be taking out loans and paying outrageous tuition to play sports. Since it's a crapshoot they get it for free.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If the PAC12 players took down the NCAA that would be cause for celebration imo. **** the NCAA. Let these players make money, and if you're going to be making money off them during a pandemic, maybe you should be guaranteeing their healthcare, reducing salaries of the coaches (since many schools are going to be cutting sports), and anything else these players want.

If the PAC12 players took down the NCAA that would be cause for celebration imo. **** the NCAA. Let these players make money, and if you're going to be making money off them during a pandemic, maybe you should be guaranteeing their healthcare, reducing salaries of the coaches (since many schools are going to be cutting sports), and anything else these players want.

They won't be making money from them during this pandemic. They'll actually be losing it if fans aren't in the seats or reduced attendance happens.

Their health care is provided and paid for as part of their scholarship.

Coaching salaries are up to the schools, but MOST of the salaries they're paid come from boosters that generously donate to the school. State schools in particular aren't pouring in millions of dollars for a coach. Private schools can pay whatever they like, but don't and use other means to pay for coaches salaries. A lot of coaches have voluntarily given up a percentage of their salary to help what will be a financial crisis for most schools.

Advertisement
Back