Was King Holding Lashlee back?

I don’t think king held lashlee back. Good coaches adjust to their roster. King isn’t a traditional pocket passer so lashlee seem to go back to his auburn days with nick marshall when it came to king. The thing is king had success running at houston but a lot of it was on broken pass plays not designed qb runs.

And without king that’s a less defender keying in on the run game because teams was worried about him running.

Advertisement
Kings strengths weren't really taken advantage of. But Tyler is definitely a better fit for this offense.

I don’t think king held lashlee back. Good coaches adjust to their roster. King isn’t a traditional pocket passer so lashlee seem to go back to his auburn days with nick marshall when it came to king. The thing is king had success running at houston but a lot of it was on broken pass plays not designed qb runs.

And without king that’s a less defender keying in on the run game because teams was worried about him running.
It was a bad marriage , I kept saying this. Even now it looks like they’re using more of S Dykes concepts. This offense , route concepts and play calling look noticeably different

It was a bad marriage , I kept saying this. Even now they’re using a lot of Dykes concepts. This offense , route concepts and play calling look noticeably different
When u have a competent QB it looks better. And by competent I mean accurate thrower of the ball. I love king but he’s just not always good at throwing good balls.

When u have a competent QB it looks better. And by competent I mean accurate thrower of the ball. I love king but he’s just not always good at throwing good balls.
True but he’s also being out in a better position in pre snap. Lashlee wasn’t helping King , as 252 said he was trying to use him like Marshall at Auburn. With an ol that can’t power block.

Advertisement
Here’s the deal. If you’re an coordinator, you need to be able to call plays for the guys you have, not some other guys you made up in your head. Remember when al insisted on a D that we didn’t have the bodies for? Remember when we used to pretend that Kaaya was going to run with the ball? Remember when we would have Jacory throw deep 87 times a game? You have to be able to call plays that work for who you have, no excuses.

Yep. I said this too. King was holding lashlee and the entire offense back. The entire playbook is open with TVD. He gets it out fast, processes info quickly, great in the RPO game, he’s an excellent decision maker, he can make every throw and then some

You could only use about 1/2 the playbook with King because he can’t make many of the throws due to his miniature stature, he’s mediocre in the RPO game, and he has an average arm.
Can't argue arm strength but the miniature status thing is overblown....King and Kyler Murray are the same height. I do think it's an advantage to taller QBs so they can see better over OL but Russ, Brees, Kyler etc have proven that the height thing isn't the, oh he can't play QB, he's "eliminated" factor.

With that being said I don't completely disagree with you, I think Lashlee and TVD fits better than King and Lashlee...but....I also think that Lashlee and Jacurri will fit better than King Lashlee....due to rocket arm talent not height

Yes. I told all of you from the beginning that a QB like Shane Buechele is the type of QB Lashlee excels with. Who’s closer to Shane Buechele? TVD or King?
You did. You said it to me because I wanted a dual threat QB. That said, TVD can move. He’s not a statue.

Advertisement
Can't argue arm strength but the miniature status thing is overblown....King and Kyler Murray are the same height. I do think it's an advantage to taller QBs so they can see better over OL but Russ, Brees, Kyler etc have proven that the height thing isn't the, oh he can't play QB, he's "eliminated" factor.

With that being said I don't completely disagree with you, I think Lashlee and TVD fits better than King and Lashlee...but....I also think that Lashlee and Jacurri will fit better than King Lashlee....due to rocket arm talent not height
True but in terms of a King/Murray comparison, Murray is without question a much better passer. Lashlee would have down fine with Murray.

Offense is humming with TVD now, but he was a true freshmen last year. Let's not pretend King didn't single handedly win us some games in 2020. If he doesn't transfer in we're looking at a QB room of Kosi, TVD, Matocha and possibly Martell.

King may not have been Lashlee's prototype QB, but he was our best option last season and we enjoyed much of the success we had sans Clemson and UNC due to him. He brought much needed maturity to the QB position and helped stabilize the offense as a whole.

TVD is looks to be the real deal and seems to have a really solid grasp of the offense, but he's still a RS freshman and there will likely be growing pains down the road. The offense probably has a higher ceiling with TVD as he gains more experience but King was undoubtedly the guy to roll with last season, and you don't start a RS freshman with zero experience over a returning King this season against Bama. It worked out the way it has, unfortunately for King, but its TVD's team now.
This is the correct answer. King was the right call last year, but yes, he was limiting Lashlee. So much less RPO/read option now.

Advertisement
True but he’s also being out in a better position in pre snap. Lashlee wasn’t helping King , as 252 said he was trying to use him like Marshall at Auburn. With an ol that can’t power block.
Question. Why do you think king constantly blows the rpo/ read option reads? Is it due to his injury and just not wanting to run this year. Just curious Bc I can’t believe he was just too stupid to kee making the wrong play had to be on purpose

And a lot of people said TVD isn't a power 5 QB. A whole lot of people. Don't gloss over that. I'm 1 of them. I was dead *** wrong, he's a baller.

This year, it is fact that TVD is the better option. You can see the difference.

Last year in the bowl game, Perry was the best QB on the field

Fans are going to talk ****, that's what we do.
I don’t care what people said about TVD, they didn’t have any proof for their opinion and most opinions here are garbage. Plus that’s irrelevant to my point.

Of course this year TVD is the better option (for many reasons including injuries), but that doesn’t prove that King was holding Lashlee back, and that’s the topic of the thread. TVD’s performances do not prove that King held Lashlee back.

U can talk all the ish U want but if that ish can’t be proven and is redundant, then it belongs in the toilet.

Last edited:
Better enjoy that kid while he is here because he has an NFL arm. He won't be here as a SR he keeps playing like he the last 2 games. He can make any throw there is to any spot and put it on a rope.

Advertisement
Air Raid offenses force the QB to make reads, go through progressions given the concept at hand and make the right decision with the ball.

TVD has done a really good job at everything an Air Raid QB needs to do, along with the fact that his accuracy has skyrocketed the past couple of weeks.

Now, is that going to be kept up? I kinda doubt it. Regression is a ***** and someone will find something that will confuse this offense.

But for now, TVD is the reason this offense performs at such an incredible level. Not only did we hang a ****load of points in back to back weeks, we did it against two of the better defenses in the country.

Lashlee's ****. Homeboy coaches scared for long periods of the game far too often and always has a play in him to lose you the game (RPO with 18 seconds left, running Knighton from the 1 straight up the middle against two blitzing ILBs).

We jumped out to 21 quick points and then had one good drive in us the rest of the game because he bizarrely gave up attacking downfield and only wanted to attack with sideways passing.

Him and Manny are desperate to lose us games.

Advertisement
Back