Was King Holding Lashlee back?

These narratives are killing me. Can’t be encouraged by one player without crapping on another. Very unappreciative and incapable of balance. It’s just TVD’s time. It’s timing and circumstance. King was what we needed last season. TVD is that, this season.

So if you don't say something positive, you're crapping on someone.. Might just be pointing out a fact. He's still Patrick Lashlee to me

Advertisement
Offense is humming with TVD now, but he was a true freshmen last year. Let's not pretend King didn't single handedly win us some games in 2020. If he doesn't transfer in we're looking at a QB room of Kosi, TVD, Matocha and possibly Martell.

King may not have been Lashlee's prototype QB, but he was our best option last season and we enjoyed much of the success we had sans Clemson and UNC due to him. He brought much needed maturity to the QB position and helped stabilize the offense as a whole.

TVD is looks to be the real deal and seems to have a really solid grasp of the offense, but he's still a RS freshman and there will likely be growing pains down the road. The offense probably has a higher ceiling with TVD as he gains more experience but King was undoubtedly the guy to roll with last season, and you don't start a RS freshman with zero experience over a returning King this season against Bama. It worked out the way it has, unfortunately for King, but its TVD's team now.

Coaches decide pretty much everything. Not sure why that means it can't be talked about on a message board?
It can be talked about. Apologize for calling it dumb. Just mean to say I don’t think it works since the coach is responsible for who starts and if a kid is holding them back, it’s their responsibility to make a change.

I wouldn't say King was holding Lashlee back becasue Lashleee could have done more with King...but;

TVD has the poise and decision making to make this O move. I keep seeing plays where King and other past QBs would have run ort take a sack...where TVD is standing in there, making the read and completing the pass. Big difference in the O is TVD.

Plus, with TVD reading the RPO better we don't run three plays into a wall becasue King would give it to the RB whether he should or not. TVD's poise and decision making is the reason this O is putting up points.

Not saying TVD definitively IS,....but when a rare player comes along and does rare things,...you don't wind back the clock and say a coach was held back because the coach didn't have him, lol.

Is Clemson being held back by DJ or were they just really, REALLY fortunate to have Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence? (recruiting)

Advertisement
After watching what Perry did last year in his start and what TVD is doing this year it looks like Lashlee needs a QB that can stretch the field to make it go.
He still calls some dumb sHT at times but this offense looks to work much better with a QB with a bigger arm..

I think tvd is a better fit for what lashlee wants to do
And tvd can see things and make throws king could not
Like last year all the wr screens were to the boundary
But tvd throws them to the field so the wrs have more room to make make a guy miss

Also the rpo is much better with tvd

I also think overal tvd is a better qb than king

So if you don't say something positive, you're crapping on someone.. Might just be pointing out a fact. He's still Patrick Lashlee to me
It’s not about saying something positive, it’s about making hindsight claims about a QB who was our best option last season. None of these takes are “fact”, they’re all “what if” or “could it have been that…? questions and statements. I just don’t see how these threads help anything or encourage good dialogue, it’s all matter of fact. Slyly encouraging factions and leading to the dissing of players. I still think Lashlee is Lashlee as well. I believe TVD has had the light bulb come on and that Likens has been given more input on the passing game scheme and play calls (route trees, personnel, etc..) Jakai Clark’s play at Center is also worth mention.

Some fans just can’t take that it’s TVD’s time, King has to be thrown under the bus to make the transition even sweeter.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do you ever stop? Like wtf is your problem, I never even say anything to you, yet you constantly talk ****. Grow up already

You start a lot of threads ****, man up. Now you start one to dry snitch/slander on a decent guy. You’re a bammer fan - that’s not a lie, so stop fronting about your allegiances.

Yes. I told all of you from the beginning that a QB like Shane Buechele is the type of QB Lashlee excels with. Who’s closer to Shane Buechele? TVD or King?
My only issue with this is I think that even while he had Buechele at SMU, Lashlee wished he had King.

We saw why in some games last year, but I don’t care how fast/athletic a player is, the most important quality in a QB by far is the ability to complete throws on multiple levels. Even last year when King was great (and he was great), he was missing deep shots (against I think Louisville) that had he hit them, the defense would have been absolutely wide open. But he didn’t hit those deep shots was limited as a passer, but by virtue of his skill level and athleticism was still able to lead an above-average offense even with defenses stacking the box.

That being said, I think if you asked Lashlee honestly, he’d tell you that King is the QB he’d prefer, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Lashlee sometimes does his very own work in holding himself back.

That absolute ****show of a defensive performance we saw, combined with TVD showing out... covered up a few head scratchers in Lashlee's playcalling.

If I were running the team, I'd have a doctor put Lashlee into a short trance prior to the game. When he'd awake, I'd tell him the game started and we're down 21-0. We'd then likely get Lashlee's best.

Advertisement
Lashlee job is to fit his offense around the talent on the team. I’ve been a Lashlee supporter but King didn’t hold him back. What King did was give Lashlee to many options because King was good enough at everything but not great at anything and because of that Lashlee was doing trying to do too much. The offense was bipolar and didn’t have a identity.

With TVD, he knows he has passer with enough mobility to get yards on a broken play. You don’t see QB draws up the gut or speed options. The offense looks more like Likens offense at Arizona St more than what we seen from Lashlee was trying to run with King.

It’s not about saying something positive, it’s about making hindsight claims about a QB who was our best option last season. None of these takes are “fact”, they’re all “what if” or “could it have been that…? questions and statements. I just don’t see how these threads help anything or encourage good dialogue, it’s all matter of fact. Slyly encouraging factions and leading to the dissing of players. I still think Lashlee is Lashlee as well. I believe TVD has had the light bulb come on and that Likens has been given more input on the passing game scheme and play calls (route trees, personnel, etc..) Jakai Clark’s play at Center is also worth mention.

Some fans just can’t take that it’s TVD’s time, King has to be thrown under the bus to make the transition even sweeter.

And a lot of people said TVD isn't a power 5 QB. A whole lot of people. Don't gloss over that. I'm 1 of them. I was dead *** wrong, he's a baller.

This year, it is fact that TVD is the better option. You can see the difference.

Last year in the bowl game, Perry was the best QB on the field

Fans are going to talk ****, that's what we do.

Advertisement
King wasn’t the prototype QB, but the kid had heart. I think the intangible things here brought with him are undervalued. This team may have quit a few weeks ago without him on the sidelines. Most importantly, think of the QB room A few years ago.

King has been holding this offense hostage because he was a one look and run QB. Those guys look great in High School but get college coaches fired. It has nothing to do with his height. He could not complete a 3rd and 8 that moves the chains. If your not a super athlete as a QB then you have to make reads. You have to look at coverages. This held Bret Favre back for the first 4 years of his NFL career. Trying to wing it after the first read. This held King back and I don’t think he was held accountable.

Hope TVD gets better.

Advertisement
Back