Was 4th and 14 the best thing to happen to UM?....

k9cane

Senior
still haven't come down from this Cristobal/Rad high, but it got me thinking -- since two people had said to me that Manny winning out would have increased his chances of sticking around (something that is debatable, but also believable) --- but FSU winning that game being the best thing to happen to Miami in the long run. That being the absolute nail in the coffin for Manny/Blake.

Honestly, I couldn't have stomached another season with Diaz under any circumstance.

Now to see Mario and the stuff he's already doing in hitting the pavement in recruiting, has got me more excited than the Pointer Sisters.

BTW, I was told a story about a player (and I can't reveal who, lol) who transferred to another program late in his career. Someone asked him what the difference was between that and Miami, and his response was basically : I really didn't even know what big-time college football was, how tough it is, and really what football was, till I got there (to the other program).

So yeah, that's what Mario has to change. And it will be interesting to see who gets weeded out after the spring practices. I think this will be a culture shock to more than a few guys on the current squad

Last edited:
Advertisement
This plan was put in motion well before 4th and 14. That said, Forfeit State was probably the nail in the coffin for Manny/Blake.
I hate losing, and I especially hate losing to Forfeit State, but if Mario has us competing for the playoffs in the next few years and being "in the hunt" on a nearly yearly basis, then it will have been worth it.

Advertisement
This plan was put in motion well before 4th and 14. That said, Forfeit State was probably the nail in the coffin for Manny/Blake.
I hate losing, and I especially hate losing to Forfeit State, but if Mario has us competing for the playoffs in the next few years and being "in the hunt" on a nearly yearly basis, then it will have been worth it.

No Fly, if there ever was a year to lose to FSU, I guess this is the one. I find losses to rivals in seasons where you are really good (such as the 89 loss) to be much more painful (not that any of them are particularly enjoyable)

still haven't come down from this Cristobal/Rad high, but it got me thinking -- since two people had said to me that Manny winning out would have increased his chances of sticking around (something that is debatable, but also believable) --- but FSU winning that game being the best thing to happen to Miami in the long run. That being the absolute nail in the coffin for Manny/Blake.

Honestly, I couldn't have stomached another season with Diaz under any circumstance.

Now to see Mario and the stuff he's already doing in hitting the pavement in recruiting, has got me more excited than the Pointer Sisters.

BTW, I was told a story about a player (and I can't reveal who, lol) who transferred to another program late in his career. Someone asked him what the difference was between that and Miami, and his response was basically : I really didn't even know what big-time college football was, how tough it is, and really what football was, till I got there (to the other program).

So yeah, that's what Mario has to change. And it will be interesting to see who gets weeded out after the spring practices. I think this will be a culture to more than a few guys on the current squad
So you're saying that more Top Golf and civics lessons aren't what we need?

Advertisement
LOL, in all fairness all teams do this kinda stuff.

But the practices under our former DC/head coach, boggle thing mind in terms of how... (double negative alert) - not physical they were.
So our tackling practice then? :D

season 1 fighting GIF by Bleacher Report

Advertisement
I can't remember which poster laughed at me for saying Manny would get fired if he won every game but the FSU game. I do believe that winning out would have saved his job, but that FSU loss was just so bad, so unforgivable, that he couldn't survive it. It brought into question all the close wins that could have been losses instead of the close losses that could have been wins. Winning out would have been big for Manny. Maybe he gets fired anyway, but it sure made it easy after the FSU loss.

So yeah, that's what Mario has to change. And it will be interesting to see who gets weeded out after the spring practices. I think this will be a culture shock to more than a few guys on the current squad

I feel like if we beat UNC, UVA, and FSU and finished 10-2 he would still be here.

And I’m with you. Even with that record I didn’t want him here another year

Advertisement
“Best thing” is a little weird. It was a catalyst for change to be sure. But as others pointed out, their was a growing realization by people of influence that major changes, or a paradigm shift, was more desirable than the path we were taking.

Pretty sure this was all set in motion after Mich St.
Perhaps, but TVD getting in there and us looking like a different team meant something. The FSU loss showed everyone that even with the hottest QB in college football, Manny still found a way to lose. That was a giant nail that wasn't ever coming out of his coffin.

Advertisement
Back